Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Texting While Driving- Should It Be Outlawed?

48 posts in this topic

Funny thing is that this volunteer "captain" seems to be such a staunch critic of the police, what we do and HOW we do it. But, I bet my next paycheck (yes PAYcheck) that if this volunteer "captain" were to be pulled over for some traffic offense, the first thing out of his lips would be "I'm on da job" as he hands the officer his vollie ID card.

Just one of the many cop hating liberals that seem to infest this board.

Volunteering is not on the job. But you knew that ;-)

How many of you have been driving and have seen a women putting on their make-up? Men shaving? Reading directions? Reading the newspaper? Eating? WATCHING A DVD IN THE FRONT SEAT.? These are all distractions. There should be a VTL that covers all of them and I am pretty sure that their isn't. It's not just cell phones and texting. I have seen all of these done and I believe them to be all equally dangerous while behind the wheel of a car. The fact is, CELL PHONES are here to stay. You can't force people to get a blue tooth or talk on speaker or not to text. Some don't care about the ticket. Make it a moving violation. Make it so you insurance goes through the roof after every infraction. The only way to hurt some people is in their pockets.

And to MVFD344 I don't care when people B*tch when I am giving them a ticket. It is when I come on this site and people complain about what others get away with.

discretionary powers of the police

Maybe it will be decriminalized like marijuana in the next couple of years ? Mhhhkaaaaayyy

I'm still trying to figure out how people lived without cell phones years ago.

I've seen guys shaving & driving...Girls doing their hair, putting on mascara and the list goes on and on.

All I know, that if someone causes an accident to happen that hurts me, their cell phone records will be in court!

Is it so very important to be on these things so much of the time?

I heard that there is going to be some sort of a thing that will be installed

in the new cars, that will actually prevent someone from driving and chatting on a cell phone. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm anyone creative?? Patent????

Edited by tunaFish

Some guy had his cell phone stolen. He went crazy, because he lived by his phone. He had files on it, valued info, pictures and videos (we wont talk about what kind), email, numbers everything. He even offered to pay the theif who took it, just to give it back.

Interesting is say.

Btw, I saw on news12 about the bus stop crash in........was it yonkers? The lady being interviewed was talking about texting and driving.

In re car device, yeah a steering wheel. 10 and 2!

I hear ya!

Funny thing is that this volunteer "captain" seems to be such a staunch critic of the police, what we do and HOW we do it. But, I bet my next paycheck (yes PAYcheck) that if this volunteer "captain" were to be pulled over for some traffic offense, the first thing out of his lips would be "I'm on da job" as he hands the officer his vollie ID card.

Just one of the many cop hating liberals that seem to infest this board.

So does a PAYcheck give you the right to get out of a ticket by saying "I'm on da job"?? Aren't you already being compensated for what you do?? Isn't the volunteer, who does not receive a PAYcheck more obliged (not obligated) to get a warning rather than a ticket???? Just go ahead and start a new thread on this one --- oh wait!! this was discussed ad nauseaum recently.

And I have NEVER tried the "I'm on da job" line in the one single time that I have been pulled over.... it was a seatbelt ticket and I was wrong.

Perhaps others do... but they are likely following the lead of the others that do it... for pay.

I'm done with this crap... continue thinking that you are above the law... it's really OK... honest. Just bear in mind that I am not the only one thinking that it's BS....

Have a nice life.

"mascara" ohhhhhhhh. Not the macarena. hahaha :lol: Ive seen some outlandish things like somebody driving with their belly/ knees around bear mountain turns.

Some guy had his cell phone stolen. He went crazy, because he lived by his phone. He had files on it, valued info, pictures and videos (we wont talk about what kind), email, numbers everything. He even offered to pay the theif who took it, just to give it back.

Interesting is say.

Btw, I saw on news12 about the bus stop crash in........was it yonkers? The lady being interviewed was talking about texting and driving.

In re car device, yeah a steering wheel. 10 and 2. :lol:

In re court, how would you know they were on the phone? Im sure they would DENY it. But the one thing they dont know, is that a few SUBPOENAS will do it, and it will show how you were right and they are lying to cover their "you know what", plus it will make them look foolish. :P

So, im not the only........interesting and nice to know.

Cell phone records telling if an incoming call is rec'd, how long you've been talking or an out going call is being made, is available by most cell phone companies. That is enough to bring to court. Hee Hee, watch Judge Judy!

Boy, this topic is being run in the ground, isn't it.

idk about cell phone records being provided out to somebody other than the person using that plan? I though you need a subpoena to get that info for a court situation, if your not the subscriber?

yeah, changed from original topic :P

Yeah, I would think.

The question poised was How would you have proof that a person, who caused the accident in question, was on a cell phone? My response was, that phone records could be obtained. If it is an accident, eh, an attorney could get it as evidence :blink: . That's what I meant. It's a hypothetical question. Like, a witness saw them on the phone....That's all. :blink:

You don't really need phone records. There are times where I may pull someone over for seeing their hand near their ear. When I stop them I advise them why I was pulling them over. If they say they weren't on their phone I ask to see it and look at recent calls both incoming and outgoing. I might even look at the time of text. It would be relevant to my stop. On an accident I may do the same thing. Hard for someone to deny being on the phone around the same time as the accident comes in. Of course they don't have to show me the phone. I think if there was a serious physical injury in the accident, the DA could subpoena the records.

You don't really need phone records. There are times where I may pull someone over for seeing their hand near their ear. When I stop them I advise them why I was pulling them over. If they say they weren't on their phone I ask to see it and look at recent calls both incoming and outgoing. I might even look at the time of text. It would be relevant to my stop. On an accident I may do the same thing. Hard for someone to deny being on the phone around the same time as the accident comes in. Of course they don't have to show me the phone. I think if there was a serious physical injury in the accident, the DA could subpoena the records.

Why thank you very much! Who would know better!

Thanks for all you do for us and thanks for being in law enforcement! :lol:

the cell phone ban should absolutley apply to texting... it's much more dangerous than being on the phone

I agree 100% that texting is much more dangerous than talking on your cell phone,

people text while driving, go on the internet...........

Oh crap, I think ONEEYEDMIC is about to pull me over.

Gotta go!

LOL!

Phone records only go so far; yes it proves a call was made, and when. It doesn't prove that the call wasn't made with hands-free or speakerphone, and it certainly doesn't prove who made the call, if there were other occupants in the vehicle. Unless you have just the driver on board, with a phone that doesn't have hands-free or speakerphone functionality, OR you have witnesses who can testify the phone was in use handheld, you're not going to have a case.

Mike

Or if you have a camera in the police cruiser that has recorded the subject talking on the phone...that is irrefutable evidence...County cars have them, but I am not sure who else, remember seeing some Mt. Vernon cars with em too.

Yes, yes...just what we need. More laws, more cops, bigger government. Not.

When I get in the accident, write it as my fault for distracted driving. That'll do.

Phone records only go so far; yes it proves a call was made, and when. It doesn't prove that the call wasn't made with hands-free or speakerphone, and it certainly doesn't prove who made the call, if there were other occupants in the vehicle. Unless you have just the driver on board, with a phone that doesn't have hands-free or speakerphone functionality, OR you have witnesses who can testify the phone was in use handheld, you're not going to have a case.

Mike

Well on tickets, you can write on the back. Most LEO's at least I think write something down as to the person's demeanor and how many occupants were in the car. I write the tickets, you can prove your defense in a COURT OF LAW.

When I worked in Police Dispatch several years ago, I knew of many officers that would write for failure to keep both hands on the wheel or distracted driving before the laws were passed.

Sorry if this was already mentioned, I didn't have time to follow/read the entire thread.

Albany County has enacted a local law making it illegal to text while driving. Albany joins Schenectady as the second county in NYS with such a law.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...?storyID=789902

Motorist texting banned in Albany County

Albany County becomes second in area to act on new dangerous trend

By CAROL DeMARE, Staff writer

First published in print: Tuesday, April 14, 2009

ALBANY Albany County lawmakers passed a local law Monday night banning text messaging while behind the wheel, becoming the second county after Schenectady to extend the cell phone law to texting.