Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Lawyers line up in New Haven firefighters’ reverse bias case

7 posts in this topic

I was going to post this, you beat me! Yeah, the mayor of New Haven is a slimeball, and I know this case has disheartened alot of the guys who wanted to apply for New Haven, because nobody thinks they can get hired if they are white. Discrimination like what happened to these guys in the NHFD is deplorable. I hope the courts find for the New Haven 20.

Also, I must disagree with the naming of this thread. This isn't REVERSE bias or REVERSE discrimination. Discrimination doesn't only exist if you are a minority, and it doesn't get renamed if you aren't a minority. Sorry to nitpick, but this is an issue I feel very strongly about.

Sad to say but I bet you see this kind of case start popping up more and more.

Why can't we just go back to the "most qualified?"

Why can't we just go back to the "most qualified?"

What an idea that must be....those who are the best at a given job doing it, regardless or race, color, creed, sex or whatever.

Black and white, those who score higher get the job because they can do it better than the other person.

Its amazing, we elect a black president yet can not agree in who we are going hire to do a job because of the color of their skin, it kills me.

Yes but if we concentrated on making decisions based on who was the most qualified, we wouldn't have elected a Black President. The American public let themselves be caught up in a swirl of emotion and rhetoric and the majority could not bring themselves to believe that sometimes the right thing is simply the right thing to do.

Every time you see a promotional case similar to this one, it is the same story. We gave a test, tried to make it honest, but in the end honesty didn't give the result we wanted so we scrapped it in favor of bias. It's not right, but we could go home feeling all warm and fuzzy about ourselves.

Remember when you were a kid and your mom told you that "Two wrongs don't make a right"? Maybe the bosses and politicians should remember those playground lessons more. The way to fight discrimination is not with more discrimination. That is kind of like saying we are going to fix a broken dam by knocking more holes in it to take the stress of the existing hole, and then complaining that the valley below is still getting flooded.