Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yonkers FD New Water Tender

29 posts in this topic

City Of Yonkers Fire-Rescue Special Operations

Water Tender (Ex-Military tanker)

Can be towed either by the Freightliner USAR Tractor, Mack Granite Special Operations Tractor, Ford L8000 Tractor, or any DPW tractor.

Photo by JJPINTO for EMTBravo.net

post-11-1227656805.jpg

(Photo by and © Joe Pinto)

it's a nice truck, i'm not trying to start anything but what does Yonkers need that for?

it's a nice truck, i'm not trying to start anything but what does Yonkers need that for?

LOL.... I was thinking the same thing.

This variety of "specialty" rigs showing up in YFD sort of reminds me of the FDNY "fantasy kitbashes" that were flooding ebay a couple of years

back. I'm not trying to start anything either, YFD is always Number-One in my book. :)

I am not going to speak for Yonkers or the FD but there have been times within memory in which the water-mains were down and tankers were called in. This could be used to replace one or many of the tankers that might need to be called in in case their district can not get any water.

Edited by bvfdjc316

I am not going to speak for Yonkers or the FD but there have been times within memory in which the water-mains were down and tankers were called in. This could be used to replace one or many of the tankers that might need to be called in in case their district can not get any water.

oh, i didn't think of that, thanks

Judging from a few recent discussions we've seen concerning specialty apparatus coming into Yonkers, it appears to me that the powers-that-be down there have a very good handle on ensuring the in-house resources they might need to cover virtually any kind of event are at their disposal, and are readily available.

We need to remember: in addition to being the fourth largest city in New York State, they are also the next-door-neighbors of the number-one-terrorist-target-city in the entire world.

Anyone know the capacity of this thing, and if it would be available for Mutual Aid if needed?

It looks strikingly similar to a typical 9000 gallon fuel delivery tanker.

There has been several times in the last five years alone where we have lost water to a large section of the city for one reason or the other (keep in mind while we do have hydrants - some areas are over 100 years old) - in some cases scheduled valve shutdowns for maintenace or electrical failures at pump stations have left areas w/o water that would have required a rely of over 4000' - Several battalion Chief's suggested looking into a tanker for these occassions - so when the oppurtunity came up to pick up a 1998 stainless steel water tanker from military surplus for $1500 it was impossible to pass up - as X635 mentioned we already had the tractors as part of our fleet so the investment was minimal for practically a brand new tanker!

5000 gallon capacity - built specifically as a water tanker - there have been many articles written recently about converting fuel tankers into water tankers - the greatest danger is the difference in specific gravity between water & fuel oil/gasoline - water is much heavier and would most likely exceed the original GVW design capacity of the truck/trailer

one in the same (pre-paint)

Oh thanks for answering my question.

one in the same (pre-paint)

There's no way they can be the same. They look differnet different headlights, different exhaust and one is a mack one is a freightliner. Same trailer though.

Edited by joshlost818

There's no way they can be the same. They look differnet different headlights, different exhaust and one is a mack one is a freightliner. Same trailer though.

They were not referring to the truck, they were referring to the trailer.

They were not referring to the truck, they were referring to the trailer.

Yup That's what I was referring to now I have another question though.What happened to the tractor in the first pic because obviously that isn't the same as the second?

Edited by texastom791

Yonkers goes rural!!! How long before we start seeing folding tanks on the sides of engines?? (Tongue planted FIRMLY in cheek here!!!)

Does it have a dump valve or does the water flow through hoses directly to the pumper?

This is to fill there Dept. Pool. :lol:

Hastings can know call Yonkers for mutual aide if there is a worker at 10 Old Jackson Ave. :P

As mentioned previously this would act as a supplement to booster tanks until a relay is established - there is no quick dump valve or pool involved we would supply this tanker via hard suction to the suction intake on a pumper with the assistance of an on board diesel pump on the tanker - utilizing the tankers pump and the pumpers pump with hard suction we can supply 500 GPM for up to 10 minutes while establishing a reliable water source from a hydrant - The tanker is automatically vented when opening the main supply valve. This is not currently setup to do a shuttle operation

Yonkers goes rural!!! How long before we start seeing folding tanks on the sides of engines?? (Tongue planted FIRMLY in cheek here!!!)

Carefull who you make fun of. Look at the new rigs driving around the city. I count 4 legnts of 3 different kinds of suction hose. They look like rural vollie rigs. Have to ask some engine guys why they have the 2 lengths of see through suction hose in addition to the 1 length of hard suction and the 1 lenght of semi rigid used for hydrant hook up.

Oh, believe me, I know what the new Marauders look like, and my first thought was, "Looks like a buffed out vollie rig." The Hard Suction is for drafting, if it's ever needed. Not making fun at all, just making humorous observations, hence the TONGUE PLANTED FIRMLY IN CHEEK!!!!

Here's a close up shot of the tanker.

Again, photo by Joe Pinto and posted with permission. Thanks Joe, and also thanks to Chief Fitzpatrick for the details...much appreciated!

post-11-1227754889.jpg

(Photo by and © Joe Pinto)

You guys in yonkers gotta get the chrome alcoas on the trailer, I bet it would REALLY look sharp then! Not that it does not now. I do like the color scheme of the trailer itself. All in all if my opinion means anything I think you guys did a terrific job with the color deco. Good luck with it. P.S. I've been pushing for a tractor trailer tanker in my department ever since I joined, but I dont think thats going to happen!

with winter on our door steps, is this rig being stored indoors ??? I have no idea of that Yonkers has for apparatus storage, but it is a long vehicle... or will it be stored outside and dry ?

It will be kept outside & dry - in the event we need it - we would generally have 3-4 hours before the water towers were empty if pumps failed - also it only takes 5 minutes to fillup from a hydrant with a 3 1/2" line. We have already used it to standby at Ridge Hill when they had to do a main shutdown for repairs -