Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
223Truck

NFPA Reflective Chevron Requirement

14 posts in this topic

From what I hear and forgive me if this was brought up in another topic but I heard starting in 2009 all fire apparatus will be required by NFPA to have reflective chevron striping on the rear of the apparatus. I have seen it on some rigs and personally I think it makes a rig look horrible. Just my two cents but if you can't tell there is an emergency vehicle when you see all the flashing lights what's striping going to do? I understand its for our safety and I know NFPA and OSHA are looking out for us, just thought it would be an interesting topic to hear everyones two cents

Edited by 223Truck

The research shows that people's eyes are drawn from high to low. Since the middle is higher and the outer edges are lower, the drivers' attention is moved from the middle of the apparatus away from the apparatus, which, using the "you drive to where you look" rule, could make things safer. I know it increases visibility a ton from what I've seen, and if you ask me, if it saves even one life, its more than worth it.

They look horrible?? The chevrons are for our safety, who cares what it looks like when it could save one of us. Also, there are times when your emergency lights are off and the chevrons make the vehicle visible at these times.

You know, when I first started seeing the Chevrons on fire/EMS apparatus, I too thought they looked absolutely horrible, but wouldn't ya guess it, they've grown on me, and I love 'em now!

Everybody whines about the color of Fairview's apparatus, but isn't lime green/yellow safer than red?

So, it's not all about safety!

How the truck is equipped for safety is far more important than how it looks. And IMHO I don't think they look to bad. Does this apply only to new apparatus or existing apparatus as well.

How the truck is equipped for safety is far more important than how it looks. And IMHO I don't think they look to bad. Does this apply only to new apparatus or existing apparatus as well.

I would have to guess only new apparatus. To try and force people to go out and add onto their older apparatus would be quite an undertaking.

It only applies to apparatus where the construction date is January 1, 2009 and later. It will not have to be retrofitted to old apparatus, however it may not be a bad idea.

Personally I don't care what the truck looks like as long as it keeps me safer. I agree that if it saves one life or prevents a close call, it is more than worth it.

Here are the new NFPA 1901-2008 requirements effective 1/1/09. The requirements in the next edition of NFPA 1901 Standard for Automotive Apparatus take effect for apparatus ordered on or after January 1, 2009. Departments need to work these requirements into their specs now.

The NFPA 1901 standard applies to all vehicles used for structural firefighting, mobile water supply, rescue situations, hazardous material releases, and other incidents not involving wildland firefighting. Here a few of the more important changes:

1. Vehicle data recorder

2. Seat belt indicators

3. Tire pressure indicators

4. traffic safety equipments;, ie cones, vests

5. rear vehicle markings: chevrons

6. maximum speed

7. standards for aeriel devices

8. trailers

the link outlines each of the above.

http://firechief.com/apparatus/hightlights...nfpa_1901_1014/

Edited by markmets415

Here are the new NFPA 1901-2008 requirements effective 1/1/09. The requirements in the next edition of NFPA 1901 Standard for Automotive Apparatus take effect for apparatus ordered on or after January 1, 2009. Departments need to work these requirements into their specs now.

The NFPA 1901 standard applies to all vehicles used for structural firefighting, mobile water supply, rescue situations, hazardous material releases, and other incidents not involving wildland firefighting. Here a few of the more important changes:

1. Vehicle data recorder

2. Seat belt indicators

3. Tire pressure indicators

4. traffic safety equipments;, ie cones, vests

5. rear vehicle markings: chevrons

6. maximum speed

7. standards for aeriel devices

8. trailers

the link outlines each of the above.

http://firechief.com/apparatus/hightlights...nfpa_1901_1014/

Thanks for posting this info Mark!

Personally I don't care what the truck looks like as long as it keeps me safer. I agree that if it saves one life or prevents a close call, it is more than worth it.

My question is: does the amount of reflective material actually make it safer? When I've seen this reflective level at night on the highway, I find it so bright that its distracting and makes it hard to see where everything is.

Consider what most DOT's do, thats Chevrons that one color is refective and the other painted only. that gives great contrast.

I wonder if the 1901 comittee even considered this?

Not only does it require chevrons, but the size and colors are also regulated. The stripes must be 6" and the colors alternating red/yellow, red/green or red/yellow-green. Our FD has been putting red/white chevrons on for the past three years with 4 vehicles/apparatus purchases. We just went to view the progress of our new Rescue Pumper and saw two pumpers with red/yellow-green chevrons. We immediately switched to this combination as it was far more visible(eye catching) than red white in daylight. We confirmed this as we noted how many other signs, vehicles, house and buildings were red and white, but nowhere was there any red/yellow-green.

I think Bnechis is onto something though., The biggest complaint about the full chevron backed apparatus is there is too much retro reflectivity! The chevron lines/shape would show up far better at night if only one color was reflective. I'm seriously thinking that might be changed on our new RP as we have a few weeks before final graphics.