Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Snorkels?

79 posts in this topic

Who in Dutchess ran a snorkel at one point as a truck company?

I beleive EFFD had one, and I know Wassaic had one (you'd get in and pray it would come down!)

Anyone else?

Any ACTIVE trucks in Dutchess using a snorkel?

Any pics?

Easy there Dan, I never remember having any problems with the snorkel?????

We just had this conversation about snorkels at JHK #1 the other morning .

Here it is/was.

post-16297-1227987333.jpg

Gotta love the 8-ball on the boom, plus yes it was RED, it got sold to a paint company I think from Chi-town

Edited by markmets415

hahahahaaaa!

We were doing a burn at the county with Wasasaic...I climbed in and the guy in the bucket said, "I hope it goes back down!"

My one and ONLY time in that thing!

I actually have some good pics of it from when we burned my grandfather's barns down on Tower Hill Rd...that and one of your engines stuck in the mud...

Dont forget pawling had one too if i remember right getting old

Edited by JHK3605

East Fishkill ran a 1968, 85' Young Snorkel from 1990-1999. The purchase of the 95' Aerial Platform in 1993 gave East Fishkill 2 Trucks, again, until 1999, when the Snorkel was sold. It currently is owned, I believe by a tree cutting company, or roofing company out of Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie area.

I saw it 3-4 years or so ago, working on a side street between Main Street and 44/55 East. Wish I had stopped to take a pic!!

To the best of my knowledge, there are no more active in-service Snorkels in Dutchess anymore.

East Fishkill ran a 196? 85' Young Snorkel from 1990-1999. The purchase of the 95' Aerial Platform in 1993 gave East Fishkill 2 Trucks, again, until 1999, when the Snorkel was sold. It currently is owned, I believe by a tree cutting company, or roofing company out of Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie area.

I saw it 3-4 years or so ago, working on a side street between Main Street and 44/55 East. Wish I had stopped to take a pic!!

To the best of my knowledge, there are no more active in-service Snorkels in Dutchess anymore.

I've seen that truck! I think it is now on Smith St. before The Bricks!

I've seen that truck! I think it is now on Smith St. before The Bricks!

Do I hear a photo hunt coming on??

PM me Dan, I'm free this weekend, and this sounds like an intriguing outing!!

hahahahaaaa!

We were doing a burn at the county with Wassaic...I climbed in and the guy in the bucket said, "I hope it goes back down!"

I actually have some good pics of it from when we burned my grandfather's barns down on Tower Hill Rd...that and one of your engines stuck in the mud...

Well where are those pictures, I remember that burn detail, Mike was Chief if I remember correctly.

East Fishkill ran a 196? 85' Young Snorkel from 1990-1999. The purchase of the 95' Aerial Platform in 1993 gave East Fishkill 2 Trucks, again, until 1999, when the Snorkel was sold. It currently is owned, I believe by a tree cutting company, or roofing company out of Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie area.

:rolleyes: I belive it was called the rusty goat tree company ? I have seen her many times in the pass few years.

hahahahaaaa!

We were doing a burn at the county with Wasasaic...I climbed in and the guy in the bucket said, "I hope it goes back down!"

:blink: I would beat that is our head commish. Always a joker. :lol:

:rolleyes: I belive it was called the rusty goat tree company ? I have seen her many times in the pass few years.

I knew it had 'goat' in the name, but I didn't want to try and remember, because the only name that came to mind was "The Feisty Goat" from EuroTrip!

I knew it had 'goat' in the name, but I didn't want to try and remember, because the only name that came to mind was "The Feisty Goat" from EuroTrip!

<_< Good try any how,

The City of Poughkeepsie ran a 1964 ALF 90' Aero Chief as Truck 2. It was retired around 1974 and I think it went the City of Newburgh F.D. before being sold to a paint contractor.That truck had a mind of it's own and everybody was glad to see it go.I'll see if I can dig up a picture of the beast.

Nice action shot of the EF snorkel in action

Mt.Vernon ran a

Mt.Vernon .F.D used a Peirce 95ft. Snorkel from 1977-2000 then it was given to Santo Domingo Fire dept. along with 4 Mack pumpers..

Here some shots of good old 69-45 in action, some are from newspapers and from the x129 collection

post-16297-1228008395.jpg

post-16297-1228008402.jpg

post-16297-1228008412.jpg

post-16297-1228008419.jpg

post-16297-1228008425.jpg

Edited by markmets415

post-16297-1228008525.jpg

Wasn't it East Fishkill's Snorkel that got stuck in the front yard of the big Holiday Inn fire 1987? 8? That was my first major fire I worked at. I also got struck in the head by a pike pole by someone from East Fishkill (Yes that must have been when I lost my brains...) But fortunately I had full PPE on and it bounced off my helmet.

Hey FDPhotounit got any photo's of that job?

Wasn't it East Fishkill's Snorkel that got stuck in the front yard of the big Holiday Inn fire 1987? 8? That was my first major fire I worked at. I also got struck in the head by a pike pole by someone from East Fishkill (Yes that must have been when I lost my brains...) But fortunately I had full PPE on and it bounced off my helmet.

Wouldn't be the only time it got stuck in the mud from what I've heard!

I remember that too and it was my first yall come as well. They had to cut the bushes out of the way by the front entrance to get the snorkel in position. :P

The City of Poughkeepsie ran a 1964 ALF 90' Aero Chief as Truck 2. It was retired around 1974 and I think it went the City of Newburgh F.D. before being sold to a paint contractor.That truck had a mind of it's own and everybody was glad to see it go.I'll see if I can dig up a picture of the beast.

Poughkeepsiealf.jpg

Reg.# 7-1-9202 - 1964 ALF 900 Series Aero Chief 90

This was the first 90' Aero Chief. Outriggers on early 80' and 90' models used a different style A-Frame system that was hinged at the top of the outrigger. This style would swing out from the bottom, then extend toward the ground, giving it a wider stance then the standard A-Frame. After years of service with Poughkeepsie, this one was sold to a painting contractor in Morristown, NJ. It was later scrapped in 1995 :P

Wow that is some extension in the front, I thought ours was bad.

post-16297-1228008525.jpg

Hey mark that one picture of the snorkel at the wassaic state school was that the tunnel fire?

Mt.Vernon ran a

Mt.Vernon .F.D used a Peirce 95ft. Snorkel from 1977-2000 then it was given to Santo Domingo Fire dept. along with 4 Mack pumpers..

Maybe they can get it back? :lol:

Hey mark that one picture of the snorkel at the wassaic state school was that the tunnel fire?

:rolleyes: No that would be the " Y " builting fire in 1991. I had the truck that day.

Although it's not Dutchess, Brewster had a snorkel till sometime in either the late 80's/early 90's when it was replaced by the current Pierce 11-5-1.

Although it's not Dutchess, Brewster had a snorkel till sometime in either the late 80's/early 90's when it was replaced by the current Pierce 11-5-1.

Brewster 11-5-1 Ford/Young/Snorkel. 1971 or 1972 if I remember correctly, credit to the original photographer

post-17-1228066951.jpg

Brewster 11-5-1 Ford/Young/Snorkel. 1971 or 1972 if I remember correctly, credit to the original photographer

post-17-1228066951.jpg

I was reading something awhile ago about Brewster's snorkel going to Pawling for a fire, might have been at Trinity Palwing School????