Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Snorkels?

79 posts in this topic

Than comes the problem....not having $4500, lol!!

Young Fire Apparatus made less than 100 Crusader I chassis apparatus between 1968-1972. If the old 39-45 isn't too far gone it would be a STEAL for $4500 for the chassis alone.

The Crusader I is by FAR my favorite Apparatus ever! Rediculously advanced for their time and reliable to boot. I lost the bid on that New Hyde Park engine posted here and on Ebay in the last 30 secs of the auction. I really should have jumped on Nelsonville's when they disbanded. My goal is to own one at some point in the near future. I have my eye on one in the Hudson Valley but it's still in service at this point (pop quiz for some hot shot buffs).

Check it out.. might be worth it for the District.

Yes Verplanck does have a bronto skylift irishfire2491 can better help with this question im not sure if it is considered a snorkel

what height is it? Bronto go to 200' do they not?

what height is it? Bronto go to 200' do they not?

From the Verplanck FD Website it is a 100 footer.

Bronto Skylifts (especially ones produced outside the US) have extreme heights available in fire apparatus applications.

I Might be wrong but I think the tallest Bronto in the United States is in Glens Falls 134Ft that was built to reach the highest part of Great Escape.

Rich...that sucks bro, I didn't know you were into collecting apparatus. I have 2 friends/colleagues from upstate who are state fire instructors that collect apparatus. I have to see if I still have the pics from the 2 of their collections. One of them has more pieces then most departments in our area, all are operational. He has a barn he stores them in and I have to wonder what friggin size that barn is, lol.

Here is a link with some info about Mahlon's American LaFrance/Ward LaFrance collection. It talks about his "antique FD."

http://www.cnylivinghistory.org/firehouse.html

Young Fire Apparatus made less than 100 Crusader I chassis apparatus between 1968-1972. If the old 39-45 isn't too far gone it would be a STEAL for $4500 for the chassis alone.

Hmmm, sounds like I am definitely making a trip up there on Friday!!

Hmmm, sounds like I am definitely making a trip up there on Friday!!

Its still there, I saw it yesterday....Rusty Goat FD...it's right next to the sidewalk, next to Vinces Auto Body....

Its still there, I saw it yesterday....Rusty Goat FD...it's right next to the sidewalk, next to Vinces Auto Body....

Bet its in sad condition. (not quite as bad as 225, lol)

Rich...that sucks bro, I didn't know you were into collecting apparatus. I have 2 friends/colleagues from upstate who are state fire instructors that collect apparatus. I have to see if I still have the pics from the 2 of their collections. One of them has more pieces then most departments in our area, all are operational. He has a barn he stores them in and I have to wonder what friggin size that barn is, lol.

Here is a link with some info about Mahlon's American LaFrance/Ward LaFrance collection. It talks about his "antique FD."

http://www.cnylivinghistory.org/firehouse.html

They both do.. although it depends how many Mr. Jacobson has out on "loan" at present.

I've known Mahlon and Norm for a while.. I always joke with Norm about AFDs rescue and how he should "take it off our hands" however he states since he saw it go at auction for less than 5% of what AFD paid for it it would be a hard bargain... ;)

It's always great talking to them.. it's hard to find psycho hardcore apparatus buffs around anymore. It's great (and rare) to hear the two of them talk to each other about how classic ALF is better than Mack and vice versa. It's like hearing two 8 year old girls argue whether Jem is better than Barbie.

You should ask Mr. Irish about the unfortunate series of events that occured with a "yellow" ALF 900 series and a body of water.. :P

I Might be wrong but I think the tallest Bronto in the United States is in Glens Falls 134Ft that was built to reach the highest part of Great Escape.

Yeah, she's a tall one.. and brandy new too..

DFW Airport had a 1998 E-one Cyclone/ Bronto 135' that is currently for sale

Muscatine IA has a 1997 E-one Cyclone/ Bronto 135'

And now for the stupid stuff-

bronto174a.jpg

WTF right? So she was at the New England Show in 2000.. a Bronto 174 HDT that E-one had as a nationwide demo from 1998-2002 which they could never sell (for the obvious reason that it is just rediculous). I think it was a "look what manufacturer has the biggest b*lls" type of thing. I'm unsure if any US city bought one or has one but I'm about 99.9% sure that this particular unit went to India and no more are in the US of this size. This was based on a frankenstein Hurricane chassis with the tandem front/rear axles. This truck weighed more than a military transport plane.

Here she is straight out the factory-

bronto174.jpg

So then Calgary had to to be cool and buy this 164'-

bronto174b.jpg

....crazy Canadians. There are Brontos overseas that are 300' ! Um, yeah..

They did have a 200'+ in Ocala almost 10 years ago when I visited but I believe that went to Canada too (on an Andersen Chassis). I think E-one did assembly work in the Ocala plant. The booms are actually shipped to them from Sweden for all of the stateside vehicles.

Edited by Turborich

They both do.. although it depends how many Mr. Jacobson has out on "loan" at present.

I've known Mahlon and Norm for a while.. I always joke with Norm about AFDs rescue and how he should "take it off our hands" however he states since he saw it go at auction for less than 5% of what AFD paid for it it would be a hard bargain... ;)

It's always great talking to them.. it's hard to find psycho hardcore apparatus buffs around anymore. It's great (and rare) to hear the two of them talk to each other about how classic ALF is better than Mack and vice versa. It's like hearing two 8 year old girls argue whether Jem is better than Barbie.

You should ask Mr. Irish about the unfortunate series of events that occured with a "yellow" ALF 900 series and a body of water.. :P

Ask him???? LOL. I have video brother! :lol:

I recently met Mahlon at the instructor's conference in October, I have never met anyone in my 36 years that knows more about pumps and pumping. He & Norm had a good time busting each others stones about the LaFrances and Norm's MACK. I have to side with Norm.

Well..... If you sold your camry, and all your blue lights you could make up 4500 bucks!!! lol

Nice!!

Nice!!

Thanks Rob and Scott!!!! Real nice!!

EFFP411 and I went to the scrap yard today and took a whole slew of pictures. Sad sad condition the old 39-45 is in! The guy at the scrap yard told me that there is "no way" of getting rid of it once a vehicle has been sold to them, some law they said. Craig, if you know of any ways, let me know, if I was able to arrange something, I would certainly save this!!

Pictures to be posted later. Here a few pics!

CIMG0031.jpg

CIMG0034.jpg

CIMG0005.jpg

Man that seriously gives me palpatations to hear that it can't be saved at all because of some law.. that is one of the rarest pieces of apparatus ever made on US soil..

I would approach the district and ask the scrap co. to even buy the cab to paint it all up and put it in the EFFD headquarters building or on the grounds as a PR thing or SOMETHING (ie. in a park or underneath the outside covered patio). There's nothing better for a kid to be able to play in a "real life" fire engine cab while safe and indoors.. it would be great.. wire it all up so kids (or members) could play with the lights or something.

It really kills me to say rip it apart, but if that will save that cab I would try ANYTHING.

BTW that truck is very restorable as it sits right now

484- Work the angle that its a tax deduction to the fire department and that is was in service with the dept for over 20 years... If you need my help LMK. We'll go all sorts of "Gone in Sixty Seconds" if we need to LOL.. that truck is my Eleanor.

Edited by Turborich

Man that seriously gives me palpatations to hear that it can't be saved at all because of some law.. that is one of the rarest pieces of apparatus ever made on US soil..

I would approach the district and ask the scrap co. to even buy the cab to paint it all up and put it in the EFFD headquarters building or on the grounds as a PR thing or SOMETHING (ie. in a park or underneath the outside covered patio). There's nothing better for a kid to be able to play in a "real life" fire engine cab while safe and indoors.. it would be great.. wire it all up so kids (or members) could play with the lights or something.

It really kills me to say rip it apart, but if that will save that cab I would try ANYTHING.

BTW that truck is very restorable as it sits right now

484- Work the angle that its a tax deduction to the fire department and that is was in service with the dept for over 20 years... If you need my help LMK. We'll go all sorts of "Gone in Sixty Seconds" if we need to LOL.. that truck is my Eleanor.

I know Rich, it is heart wrenching. I had kind of though of the same thing, having it saved, and can be used on Fire Prevention Days, or as PR, etc....

This rig ran with East Fishkill from 1990-1999, and before that, was owned and operated by the Elmont Fire Department out on Long Island. spin_the_wheel is the historian for that department. Hopefully he chimes in, and sees this thread.

I would love to find a way to save this rig from the scrappers.

the rig looks in pretty good shape. Nate good luck with it. I feel you, sad isn't that these rigs end up in a bone yard to get cut up into scrap.