Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Volunteer "Deputy" Chiefs

10 posts in this topic

Could someone be so kind to explain the rank/status/role of the "Deputy" Chief in some Westchester vollunteer departments please?

As I understand it, it is a position for PAST Chiefs, with all of the "benefits" afforded a Chief Officer?

I am not sure I undertstand the whole concept, and I am pretty sure I wouldn't be a fan of it.

I am used to the Deputy being #2, second in Command, one step below Chief, Car 2,etc. An actual rank that should be moved through before Chief.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by x129K

Usually the Deputy Chiefs fall in line below the Assistant Chiefs and in front of the Company Officers

Usually the Deputy Chiefs fall in line below the Assistant Chiefs and in front of the Company Officers

See Dan I told you we were sdrawkcab in our Depts., EJ is that a standard practice in your area.

Edited by markmets415

See Dan I told you we where sdrawkcab in our Depts.

Thats my thing..and I mean NO disrespect, but I don't think we are backwards at all....I have nothing but respect for a Past Chief, hell, I still call them "Chief" years after they are out, but I personally do not like what I percieve the system to be, which is why I am curious.

This is the run down in Tarrytown.

Chief - Car 2461

1st Assistant Chief - Car 2462

2nd Assistant Chief - Car 2463

The chief then selects 2 deputy chiefs from each of the 6 companies. However, in the past a chief may only choose 1 past chief from any specific company instead of 2. A deputy chief, as stated, is a past chief of the department. This being said, just being a past chief, doesn't make you a deputy chief.

2464 & DC-80 - Engine 80

2465 & DC-37 - Ladder 37

2466 & DC-76 - Engine 76

2467 & DC-77 - Engine 77

2468 & DC-78 - Tower Ladder 78

2469 & DC-79 - Engine 79

The deputy chiefs are responsible for running calls when a chief or assistant chief is not on scene. They also act as the chief's eyes and ears on the fireground when the chief/cheifs are at the command post. Also when it is known that all or most chiefs will be out of down, a deputy/deputies will be notified that they will out of town and the deputies are charge of responding on and running calls.

In most departments that I am familiar with.......Deputy Chief rank is for a past Chief who are "available" in situations where a Chief is not. Yes he does outrank a line officer, in most cases he has more experience. However if a Chief shows up on a scene (Chief, 1st Asst,2nd Asst) they will take over command. There is no disrespect for the line officers intended.

It seems like the junior officers, ie; Captain down would find it tough to get any time/experience under their belt as an IC?

Doesn't this make the transition to a Chief role more difficult?

We are all willing to help junior officers rise through the ranks, however we must follow the chain of command. I guess it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I feel for the most part, deputy chiefs are willing to let line officers do their jobs and not interfere. As EXDC203 said deputy chiefs are "available" when a chief is not. So when the white hats are arounds, most deputies in my deptartment let the chiefs and line officers due the work, unless there is a major incident.

A good way to show this is the scenario is in the following:

Dept is dispatched to an AFA. 1 or more of the chiefs respond as well as apparatus with line officers. Any deputies will respond as well with their respective companies. Since the chiefs are on scene, the chiefs will direct line officers what need to be done. The deputies will either go in with the line officer and his/her crew or stay with the apparatus. Most deputy chiefs now that they have had they're time and let others have theirs. But they are always there to help younger line officers in making decisions.

Same scenario, apparatus responds with no line officer, deputy chief takes command.

2 summers ago, Tarrytown had the Hackley School fire. For the first few hours 2 chiefs were on scene. They maintained the command post and over saw operations. The deputy chiefs all had specific function around the building to assist the chiefs on scene. Line officers continued normal functions with their crews.

Pleasantville had this issue a while ago and we chose to eliminate the deputy chief position. It was absolutely in no way a knock to our ex-chiefs they continue to be a great asset. It was more an issue of ensuring that the officers were getting the exposure to command that they needed. There's much less work to go around now so they need to get more of it. Without Deputy Chiefs there's no question that the officers have to step up. At a major incident or if the chiefs are all going to be out of town the ex-chiefs can be called upon to step into what ever roll they're needed for. For day to day operations however the officers have to step up now.