Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemn23

Highway Response

46 posts in this topic

For those departments that respnd on highways what responds. Ie 2 engines, engine and a ladder, or just an engine.

For calls on the Taconic BMFD uses R37, E94, and E92 from the west side if necessary. We also dual response with Millwood on the TSP.

Lake Carmel FD 1st due is Ambulance, 2nd due Rescue, 3rd is Engine/tanker and Fire Police.

Certian areas of the Taconic, ie: by the exit for RT133/RT100:

DPT205 (Briarcliff Fire)

DPT225 (Millwood Fire)

DPT7400 (Ossining VAC)

DPT5400 (Chappaqua VAC)

45M1

For any type of MVA (extrication or PI)

If i'm not mistaken Tarrytown FD uses E-77 &E-78 for extrication calls and E-77 and E-79 for car fires. TVAC and Greenburgh ALS for MVA's.

if it's on i-95 one or two engines a chief and an ambulance if it's a mva w/injuries

Pelham will send the engine, rescue, and chief onto the Hutch along with the new 38M1. It is a dual response with Mt Vernon and they will usually send an engine and their rescue.

Ive heard New Rochelle dispatch an engine in each direction along with a ladder and rescue 4 numerous times onto 95 along with the deputy chief and an ambulance if needed. More times than not, rescue 4 goes 10-8 extremely quickly because they are not needed. (Also, when Rescue 4 goes on a call, TL 11 goes out of service. Thats why they rarely hold the Rescue unless they really need it).

I also beleive Tarrytowen allows POV on the thruway

Firemn23 is correct, TFD does allow POVs on the thruway.

I forgot to mention that the chiefs go out as well.

Shantz02(Also, when Rescue 4 goes on a call, TL 11 goes out of service. Thats why they rarely hold the Rescue unless they really need it).

what happens here? i do not get this

Rescue 4 is not usually staffed by its own set of FFs. The firefighters who are on TL-11 man Rescue 4 when it goes on calls. Therefore, when Rescue 4 responds, unless New Rochelle calls back FFs to staff TL-11, the TL goes out of service until Rescue 4 returns.

that dosen't make sense. they should have enough manpower to man both rigs

Does any other department allow POV's on a major artery of roadway such as the NYS thruway.

Maybe ALS can help but is the department liable when personal vehicles respond to the scene. I know from being at scenes with POV on the thruway that is creates an even bigger mess.

A lot of times ive seen ff responding on alarms on the thruway respond on the thruway leave their POV at the trooper barricks and wait for the next truck tocome through.

Mohegan's territory on the Taconic is from Rt 202 north to the Westchester/Putnam County line. Mohegan responds with Eng 252 and a Mohegan Ambulance SB from Rt 6, while Eng 254 and a Yorktown Ambulance respond Northbound from Rt 202 to all PI's. Engines only respond to any reported fires. Any incident above Rt 6, typically Eng 252 and either Eng 258 or 255 out of HQ will respond. The EMS response remains the same with Mohegan VAC responding NB from Rt 6. All POV's are allowed on the pkwy, unless told otherwise.

Engine and Truck one way, Engine and Truck the other way. If in Rescue companies first due area or a specific battalion, they go. If a confirmed pin job the nearest available Squad is started out. This gets tricky when you get into other limited access routes such as bridges/tunnels.

It all depends on the CPD All-Star working the desk...

Our POLICY for a while was E120, E119, R18 and EMS for accidents on Route 9. It worked out well for the short time it was being used, having E120 come from the south, and E119 come from the north. Why we don't do this anymore is in the hands of the powers that be.

It was basically the same response for fire calls on Route 9 as well. E119, E120, T10, R18 were rolling on fire incidents on the highway for a while, (of course T10 is still out for repair), but it seems as though one engine is taking the assignments again.

But who knows, tomorrow the Desk Sergeant may send TL44 out there - depends on "which company's turn" it is. (Inside joke)

You have to check with your departments/municipalities in regard to POV coverage. I do know of some depts. that do cover them and I've had municipalites tell the departments/members that they have to go through their personal insurance. Which I can't blame them. If you have a big department that can be a lot of cars. They do not know nor can they really check on their driving records, license status or control how they drive, what they drive or training in regard to it.

Yorktown FD send R16 first due and then E273. If R16 is ofs then E270 responds first due because it has a second set of hurst tools.

We have a good stretch of I84 and the taconic, so standard is 1 engine from (X) station, depending where along the road it is, 39-71(amb), 39-52(rescue), and 39-98(fire police), if needed an additional engine from (X) station for manpower, supression, tools, or to set up a landing zone

In New Rochelle (Most of the time): 2 Engines, 1 ladder, 1 Bus, Deputy Chief, The Rescue depending on how the call came in or if requested by the Chief or other incoming unit. For New Rochelle it matters how the call comes in but most of the time I here those usually getting disbatched.

Pelham: Engine, Rescue, Fly Car, Empress Bus, And Mount Vernon usually responds with an Engine and Rescue to assist Pelham.

Pelham Manor: 2 Engines, Fly Car, & Empress Bus

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

in the village of mamaroneck we respond up to I-95 we have about a quarter of a mile that we will responde by are selves with 2 engines and the rest of I-95 down to the new rochelle toll both we will respond with the town of mamaroneck and they will respond with a rescue and a engine and between the both and i forgot the villge of mamaroneck will go with utility 9 and if we are lucky between the both of us we can have 6 chiefs but that is if we are lucky the village will come with two or three all the time and most of the time the town will come up with one or two almost never will they have all three chiefs

For Dobbs Ferry it really depends if it's an extrication call it canbe any where from a full department response which is 2 engines , a truck and a utility to an engine and a utility. if it's a car fire w/ entrapment it might be a full department response which again is 2 engines , a truck and a utility.

Elmsford FD

MVA or EMS run: E-137, 58B-1 and Chief(s).

Fire: E-137, L-55 and Chief(s).

POVs are strictly prohibited.

Edited by Fireman488

For those departments that respnd on highways what responds.  Ie 2 engines, engine and a ladder, or just an engine.

MVA : Rescue-Pumper, Ambulance(s) Chief's

EMS ( Non-MVA) Ambulance, Chief's

Car fire Both rescue pumper and engine, ambulance

Two interstate highways (I-287, I-684) and one parkway (Hutchinson River) pass through Purchase FDs district combining for over 12 miles. On all MVAs Engine 240 is first due, followed by Rescue 30. If additional apparatus and/or manpower is required then either Engine 238 or 239 are available to respond.

2163 is also available for M/A if necessary... ;)

in the village of mamaroneck we respond up to I-95 we have about a quarter of a mile that we will responde by are selves with 2 engines and the rest of I-95 down to the new rochelle toll both we will respond with the town of mamaroneck and they will respond with a rescue and a engine and between the both and i forgot the villge of mamaroneck will go with utility 9 and if we are lucky between the both of us we can have 6 chiefs but that is if we are lucky the village will come with two or three all the time and most of the time the town will come up with one or two almost never will they have all three chiefs

we always make sure one Chief stays back to cover and further calls that might come in while we are out on 95, we don't see the need to commit 3 chiefs to 95

I think having any more than three chiefs on a highway job is unneccessary, unless we're talking about a large scale MCI. Too many officers and not enough grunts means less is getting done.

Armonk 684 for MVA or Medical call

1st due Ambulance

2nd due Ambulance can roll before the engine some times but that is at the OIC decsion.

Engine/Rescue 288

Then Tanker 9 for road block if needed.

For a car/truck fire

Engine/Rescue 288

Tanker 9

Engine 286

i know Fishkill uses Brewster's rescue on PIAAs on I-84