Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

[UPDATED] SPY SHOTS- New Rochelle's New Engine 25

93 posts in this topic

I belive water tank levels, but dont take my word for it.

Correct. They are tied to the tank indicator on the pump panel. They give everyone at an incident the ability to see how much water is left. particularly useful for the officer to see at a car fire (to consider switching to foam) or when doing a blitz off the tank, the driver can see as he is running around (making connections, etc.)

Barry,

First, thanks for answering all of our questions. This will probaly be one of the most anticipated new deliveries of 2009, and has obviously generated a lot of interest. I know a LOT of time and though went into planning this rig, and I think the end result will be very impressive.....much like Ladder 12, this will be the "next generation" Engine for New Rochelle.

Which brings me to my question........the question regarding Chevron's on the rear has already been answered, but will it have Chevrons on the FRONT bumper, which is becoming increasingly common with the major FD's around here?

post-11-1230070923.jpg

Thanks again for all of your insight....can't wait to see more photos!

Seth

First, thanks for answering all of our questions. This will probaly be one of the most anticipated new deliveries of 2009, and has obviously generated a lot of interest. I know a LOT of time and though went into planning this rig, and I think the end result will be very impressive.....much like Ladder 12, this will be the "next generation" Engine for New Rochelle.

Thanks. :)

Which brings me to my question........the question regarding Chevron's on the rear has already been answered, but will it have Chevrons on the FRONT bumper, which is becoming increasingly common with the major FD's around here?

Thanks again for all of your insight....can't wait to see more photos! Seth

You want me to write "chevron" on the front also?

You will just have to wait like everyone else. the pics will tell in 30 days

Thanks. :)

You want me to write "chevron" on the front also?

I already had that taken care of. LOL.

post-11-1230080389.jpg

(Disclaimer: Poorly Photoshopped photo.)

Looks great good luck with the truck NRFD.

I believe there was a topic about NRFD getting a new rescue, any updates on that?

Looks great good luck with the truck NRFD.

I believe there was a topic about NRFD getting a new rescue, any updates on that?

I believe you are correct. You can find that topic here:

New Rochelle New Rescue 4

Looks great good luck with the truck NRFD. I believe there was a topic about NRFD getting a new rescue, any updates on that?

Thanks. We are incontract with Super Vac Industries for a New Rescue 4. It will be ready in fall 2009. Also working on another Engine (21 or 23). Bids will go out in January

lookin snazzy New Rochelle...best of luck with the new rig! B) when is it supposed to be delivered?

Looks very nice. A couple questions.

#1, what's it mean to be a half service company (as per ISO)? Also, how often are new fire engines purchased? I don't think E25 can be more than 5-10 years old, and it certainly looks like it's in great condition.

Edited by cfman

what's it mean to be a half service company (as per ISO)?

ISO requires engines within 1.5 miles and either a service company or ladder co. within 2.5 miles of every structure. A service co has everything a ladder co has except the aerial and fewer ground ladders. because of the distance from L13, E-25's district requires additional service or ladder co. By adding some truck equipment to the eng. we get more points for ISO.

Also, how often are new fire engines purchased? I don't think E25 can be more than 5-10 years old, and it certainly looks like it's in great condition.

E-25 is 10 years old. E-17 is 20 years old and ready for the scrap yard. So the current E-25 will become a spare. We have determined that 10-12 years is the maximum life for frontline service based on our work volume (calls, training, inspections, etc.), others may get 20-30 years, but generally they are much slower FD's.

We are doing long term studies into the economics of apparatus purchasing & maintenance. Based on what we have seen elsewhere we believe it maybe more cost effective for us to reduce the frontline service to 8 years with 2 years as spare and then sell the unit at 10 years instead of scraping it at 20 years.

What does a new rig generally cost? Over $100k?

Does the city have to pay for extras that are NFPA required? Like if they were not originally going to get the chevrons, do they come standard since they are required or do they have to pay the extra money? I think I worded that correctly?

Edited by NoFearFD

Custom engine you're looking at about 500,000 and depending on the bells and whistles you want you can easily pass 700,000.

Someone has to pay for those changes. Fed isn't, builder can't afford to, that leaves the customer. No different than the consumer car market.

Does the city have to pay for extras that are NFPA required? Like if they were not originally going to get the chevrons, do they come standard since they are required or do they have to pay the extra money? I think I worded that correctly?

The 2009 NFPA 1901 has increased the cost of a new rig by $15,000 - $30,000. The bigest cost is the data recorder & seat belt monitoring

Some of the changes will pay for themselves thru reduced injury costs.

Some of the items just cost more and in some cases will delay the purchase of safer rigs to depts that can not afford all of these unfunded mandates.

Also how many apparatus builders are on the committee that voted for these additions?

thanks Capt. yet another beauty from Pierce. Any details on the specs to share?

Looks nice I like the chevrons on the front and back .

Edited by texastom791

thanks Capt. yet another beauty from Pierce. Any details on the specs to share?

Tak 4 Independent front Suspension

Multiplex Electronics

Detroit Series 60

1500gpm / 500 gal

2 LDH intakes, 2 LDH discharges

6kw Generator

5 man all forward seating

200' Class B foam line & 100' trash line in front bumper

Pump panel has all elkhart electronic controlers with PSI & GPM, LED gate indicator and preset

Electronic controled Deck gun

35' on ladder rack

24', 14' roof in body

2) 10' hard section in body

4) 750 watt floods

All equipment can be removed from the ground, only reason to go up top is to pack hose.

Rubber Rubrails (top & Bottom & rubber fenderets

Backstop & Rear camera

All Standard Engine plus Service Co equipment (including holmotro tool)

thanks Capt for the info, we are in the beginning stages of specing a new engine; I like to see what others have on their respective rigs.

Ummmmm - Why does it say E-24 on the front doors, and E-25 everwhere else ??

Hmmm I thought I was seeing things at first. Maybe they took the sample picture a little to litterally.

Edited by MPACE2-299

Good Eye. :rolleyes:

1) As a cost saving measure in these tough economic times we are merging these two companies, whose districts are at extreme opposite ends of the City, 1/2 the time covering 24 the other 1/2 covering 25 (they are about 6.5 miles apart)

2) Could be I took the photo's before they fixed that minor error. :P

You decide.......................................

when will it be delivered ;)

Capt., you trying to give Greg some time owed??? LMAO

thanks Capt for the info, we are in the beginning stages of specing a new engine; I like to see what others have on their respective rigs.

Good luck. We look very hard at safety issues, like keeping members off the top and maintenance issues (lots of items that will reduce downtime/cost) and we considere that all rigs will get hit, will hit things and will have damage during its lifetime and put many things into it to reduce that cost & downtime

Is it important that all FFs sit facing forward? Any special reason for that?