Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Brainstorming: How Can We Get More Members Posting?

49 posts in this topic

One of the issues brought up to me by the staff is all the members we have visiting on a daily basis, but only a fraction of those members actually are active and post.

I'm looking for ideas on how we can get more members involved and participating in this forum, instead of just "lurking".

How about a tutorial on how to start a topic?

i'm still new to this and the fire dept so i'm learning on the way

One of the issues brought up to me by the staff is all the members we have visiting on a daily basis, but only a fraction of those members actually are active and post.

I'm looking for ideas on how we can get more members involved and participating in this forum, instead of just "lurking".

Do you REALLY want an answer to your question?

1. Not having to write your life story to be "verified"

2. Not being picky in what members write and how members write.

3. Let people actually speak their mind without being censored.

...... Just a few

Edited by SPFC56-233

...... Just a few

Agreed, the only thing I can disagree with slightly is that some people simply can't write simple sentences, so I understand the practice of editing posts. I think that proper English should be utilized as much as possible because it's hard to understand people who don't know how to spell, or use proper punctuation. However, the practice of re-writing entire posts is another story. As for being 'verified' If it's a necessity to post, then ALL members who post should have the information filled out, I've seen 'staff' members who don't have the 'required information' filled out.

Also, I understand that certain topics should be locked after a while (having owned and managed forums in the past) but when I look through the forums, the good majority of the topics are locked. Maybe the time limit should be extended so that older topics can be resurrected without having to PM a moderator to get it re-opened, or making a new topic and being told that it's been discussed countless times etc.

Hope that helps Seth.

Edited by DonMoose

...... Just a few

I couldn't agree more

...... Just a few

Agreed, especially #1. This definitely scares people off.

I may have read it wrong, but was it not stated that the members were looking but not posting, in this case they are already verified correct??????

To become a verified member hardly requires anyone to submit their "life story"

Four general items are asked:

-Age range

-Location,

-Affiliation type

-Rank

That's it. I hardly think that's too much to ask for anyone looking to join our discussions.

As far as Post Moderation is concerned, there is no "censorship".

However you cannot say whatever you feel like here. Posts that go way off topic or contain profanity or attack another member are edited or removed.

We only ask for everyone to keep discussions on a professional level.

To become a verified member hardly requires anyone to submit their "life story"

Four general items are asked:

-Age range

-Location,

-Affiliation type

-Rank

That's it. I hardly think that's too much to ask for anyone looking to join our discussions.

As far as Post Moderation is concerned, there is no "censorship".

However you cannot say whatever you feel like here. Posts that go way off topic or contain profanity or attack another member are edited or removed.

We only ask for everyone to keep discussions on a professional level.

I agree completely. They dont want much info just enough for other members know who the post is coming from, and as far at the post's going way off topic that is 100% true look at the Empire EMS losing there narc cert. or the Wappingers Fire on S. Mesier Those two went completely off the topic and people were bad mouthing people left and right.

If your Vol or paid the point is we are all professionals and we should act like it.

I agree completely. They dont want much info just enough for other members know who the post is coming from, and as far at the post's going way off topic that is 100% true look at the Empire EMS losing there narc cert. or the Wappingers Fire on S. Mesier Those two went completely off the topic and people were bad mouthing people left and right.

If your Vol or paid the point is we are all professionals and we should act like it.

I stopped posting when it was decided that "WTF" is profanity.

It just got too ridiculous.

Not for nothing, but I have to point out that LTFbomb68's user name refers to uttering a verbal profanity. He should be required to change his user name immediately.

This thread wasn't created to be an "airing of greviances". So, TO ANSWER SOME OF THE ABOVE:

1.SOME members often are quick to make assumptions and accusations about this forum and the staff. Instead, these members should first come to the staff for an answer to their question or complaint so that we can explain or resolve their situation.

2. The Verified Membership program was put into place for the reasons described on the application. All it (the application portion) asks for is basic information to confirm/verify single identity and is kept confidential and seen by only me, and shouldn't be an issue for those who aren't afraid of making comments while hiding behind a keyboard.

3. We continously audit Verified Members profiles for accuracy and compliance. However, with over 1,000 member enrolled in the program, it's impossible to keep up with everyone. We do contact members that are missing information and ask that they add it to their profile. In some cases, a member may be granted a temporary waiver to omit information.

4. The forum rules are put into place for a reason, often because of member feedback or with member input.

5. I will increase the topic "auto-close" to three months. After three months of inactivity, the thread will be archived.

6. We hold our members to high standards, and willl continue to do so. This includes DECENT spelling and grammer, and positive/constructive/respectful behavior. We expect ALL members to follow the rules and policies. Ignorance or dislike of the rules is not an excuse for not following them, so the staff can not be blamed for enforcing them.

7. I love the tutorial idea, and will look into putting something into place to assist members in learning how to use the forum.

Hope the above clarifies some things.

If you have a complaint about how this forum is run, please contact a staff member or me via email at seth@emtbravo.com so that we can explain the issue to you or help you resolve a problem. From this post foward, let's keep this thread constructive.

If you have a complaint about how this forum is run, please contact a staff member or me via email at seth@emtbravo.com so that we can explain the issue to you or help you resolve a problem. From this post foward, let's keep this thread constructive.

Why cannot a complaint be discussed in public in a thread?

Why must it be addressed privately behind closed doors so to speak?

What are you afraid of?

Edited by Sqd47

What are you afraid of?

Speak the truth brother man.........

Maybe there should be less oversight by the moderators towards aiming is discussion to where they want it to go....just because the site was created as a resource does not mean that it is one, used as one or even want is wanted from everyone....let the learning occur in the class room and on the job, those who want it online will seek it online,even here if they wish, but not everyone comes here to share this resource or learn, they come here to have fun, keep updated on incidents, pictures and apparatus.

Keep it more light and airy, we already deal with enough, some people come here to connect with those like us, not to continue what they were just doing.

Edited by bvfdjc316

This thread wasn't created to be an "airing of greviances". If you have a complaint about how this forum is run, please contact a staff member or me via email at seth@emtbravo.com so that we can explain the issue to you or help you resolve a problem. From this post foward, let's keep this thread constructive.

How is this not constructive? You asked for feedback, someone even went as far as to ask if you really wanted them to speak their mind, and another moderator said to go for it. Posts like this that are the exact reason why you won't get more people to participate. You want people to join in, but only under your terms. You go as far as to create a topic asking for feedback, and then balk when it is given to you.

Let me add one point, if you feel that your participation is low enough that it warrants you starting a topic designed to drum up participation, then thread derails by nature shouldn't be a problem.

Since you started this thread for suggestions, here's a few points:

It might not be a life story, but you do require people to give you their names and locations. This causes many of us, those in career positions especially, and everyone in law enforcement, to be extremely careful with our responses to topics. It's not because we're hiding behind a keyboard, but because we don't want to see our livelihood threatened by speaking our minds on a message board. The information is not always kept confidential, as one of your moderators saw fit to post my name and agency affiliation for all to see. That moderator also sent the private messages sent by me to him to my chief. Now, I've stood at City Hall with my union and spoken my feelings about my chief, so I have no problem with these things being public knowledge, but let's not advertise that things are kept confidential when they clearly aren't. Suggestion? Do away with this portion of verification.

The censorship issue goes beyond deleting "thread derails." We can spend pages bashing Mt. Vernon, but the minute one of the pet fire departments of a moderator gets a bad word written about it, the thread is gone. I said that I was happy when the old Centennial Hose firehouse in Peekskill fell down, as it was an egregious waste of taxpayer money (to which I was told "taxpayer money doesn't matter"...wow). It's hard to be more on topic than that, yet within five minutes, my post was taken down, along with others. It was only after the members of this forum showed themselves to be so numerous in their agreement that some posts were left in the thread. Suggestion: Unless it's a personal attack, let the discussion continue unabated. So many times on this site, I've seen people act like a child who takes their ball and goes home.

As far as the profanity, I agree. People should be able to make a point without the use of swearing. However, the three letter abbreviation discussed above (I won't say it because I don't want to have this post deleted) can be seen in use on Lohud.com. If the official site of a newspaper will let it slide, I think you can, as well.

What are you afraid of?

Just to make it clear, you intentionally ignored my request above, and I take your actions as attempts to "stir the pot".

I'm not afraid of anything. I think that certain members make assumptions based on ignorance, or like to create drama, like you did in this thread and another thread where you attempted to provoke the staff. Other members read the comments and get the wrong idea based on that members comment.

That's why I encourage members to contact a staff member regarding a SPECIFIC complaint so that it can be explained or resolved instead of making it an sometimes uneccesary public ordeal.

Here's a simple idea for you. Help make the forum a better place and post constructive comments and ideas. If you want to whine and complain about how this forum is run (this isn't the first time) and be hostile towards the staff, please find another forum that will accomodate your disrespect for all the work that goes into this forum to allow you attempt to provoke the moderators.

How is this not constructive? You asked for feedback, someone even went as far as to ask if you really wanted them to speak their mind, and another moderator said to go for it. Posts like this that are the exact reason why you won't get more people to participate. You want people to join in, but only under your terms. You go as far as to create a topic asking for feedback, and then balk when it is given to you.

See my previous post.

It might not be a life story, but you do require people to give you their names and locations. This causes many of us, those in career positions especially, and everyone in law enforcement, to be extremely careful with our responses to topics. It's not because we're hiding behind a keyboard, but because we don't want to see our livelihood threatened by speaking our minds on a message board. The information is not always kept confidential, as one of your moderators saw fit to post my name and agency affiliation for all to see. That moderator also sent the private messages sent by me to him to my chief. Now, I've stood at City Hall with my union and spoken my feelings about my chief, so I have no problem with these things being public knowledge, but let's not advertise that things are kept confidential when they clearly aren't. Suggestion? Do away with this portion of verification.

No. People aren't reuqired to list their real name in their public profile, only when applying, which is only viewed by me and used for Verification purposes. Based on previous member input, we made the location requirment more broad, such as county where you work OR live. Other then that, if you can't stand behind what you post, don't post. I was never informed that one of the moderators made your information public. Since this is the first I'm hearing about it, you didn't even give me a chance to look into it or resolve it. Please email me at seth@emtbravo.com with the details.

The censorship issue goes beyond deleting "thread derails." We can spend pages bashing Mt. Vernon, but the minute one of the pet fire departments of a moderator gets a bad word written about it, the thread is gone. I said that I was happy when the old Centennial Hose firehouse in Peekskill fell down, as it was an egregious waste of taxpayer money (to which I was told "taxpayer money doesn't matter"...wow). It's hard to be more on topic than that, yet within five minutes, my post was taken down, along with others. It was only after the members of this forum showed themselves to be so numerous in their agreement that some posts were left in the thread. Suggestion: Unless it's a personal attack, let the discussion continue unabated. So many times on this site, I've seen people act like a child who takes their ball and goes home.

We have had a recent rash of NEW members joining and making comments completly for the purpose of trashing Peekskill on various threads. Many of these comments were removed and never seen by you. Some of these members put false information on their Verified Member applications and when we caught it, we removed their posts and membership. We are also working on investigating the issue that you brought up based on feedback from several members who chose the proper route to email me.

There's a lot that goes on "behind the scenes" that you don't know anything about, so please give us a chance to explain what is going on instead of publicly critiquing us based on somewhat skewed information.

What i think is funny is it was not long ago when this site was going away and everyone well for better terms begged for it to stay up and running and now people are bashing the people that they were begging to keep it running

Sorry Seth....I have to post this...I took the time to type it and I want you to hear me out...

YOU asked for suggestions....you got some, although not popular - there really isnt the need to delete them all....take the good, the bad, the ugly and use them to make this AWESOME site better! SO MANY of us depend on this forum for info, for news, and to chat with our brothers...

Hell - it is because of THIS SITE that I got the bug back and rejoined the fire service after a 3 year hiatus! THANK YOU!

In regards to the Brainstorming Thread, I wrote;

I feel alot of people are hesitant to post because they are afraid of bringing undue attention to themselves or their agencies...Forums are something popular with the "younger" generation, say 40 and below, as they are soemthing we have grown up with and we see the good they can do - however, the older "dinosaurs" really do not understand or like them. Some even try as hard as possible to prohibit forum use.

Anonominity is SO popular, not just here, but on the net because ti allows people to participate and contribute without fear of repurcussions, and to voice their opinions, right, wrong, or indifferent.

Who cares if I use improper grammar or spelling - just so long as you can understand my point, and more importantly I am HERE, CONTRIBUTING!? Some get off on correcting others....this isnt grade school....it's emtbravo!

In regards to the moderation here, YES, absolutley too much. I am a member of alot of forums, from hunting, acrchery, emergency services, to trucks and off roading...I am a moderator myself on one. I am a big fan of letting threads take a life of their own - what harm does it really do if we get off topic or stary a bit? There is no need to "split" topics, delete "irrelevant comments", or etc....the members are here...contributing... How many times has the conversation at the firehouse kitchen table gotten off of topic? I suggest the staff here TRY it...let the topics go for a while - see where they end up...what can it hurt?

We are TRULY BLESSED to have alot of good members here, as well as several OUTSTANDING people who are not only a WEALTH of information, bt are also willing to share it! ALSFF, BNechis, DFC278, and yes - even JFLYNN - these guys, and so many others, have done the time...crawled down that smoky hallway....been on that roof....and they are willing to share it....THANK YOU!

Loosen the reigns....allow the info and the COMERADERIE to flow....

If you feel obligated to delete this...there is little I can do...but I feel allowing us to air the dirty laundry will do us all a bit of good...to shut it down would unfortuantley speak volumes of the moderation here.

6. We hold our members to high standards, and willl continue to do so. This includes DECENT spelling and grammer, and positive/constructive/respectful behavior. We expect ALL members to follow the rules and policies. Ignorance or dislike of the rules is not an excuse for not following them, so the staff can not be blamed for enforcing them.

:lol:

Seth, if you wrote that statement I quoted above, it's funny!!!

Come on, you say that you "hold our members to high standards, and willl continue to do so" then spell grammar wrong. :P

As the husband of an English teacher I found that hysterical. :lol: Just breaking balls.....

Admittedly, I don't post enough, I'll try to do more.

ON ANOTHER NOTE.....

You guys do an incredible job moderating. I check the site everyday, and I have no idea how much work has to be done to keep it going, but I know it's a hell of alot.

For those who don't like the site and complain, good-bye. Just like Howard Stern used to say, "If you don't like me, DON'T PUT ME ON!!! WHY ARE YOU LISTENING?!?!"

Guys, keep up the good work.

Just to make it clear, you intentionally ignored my request above, and I take your actions as attempts to "stir the pot".

I'm not afraid of anything. I think that certain members make assumptions based on ignorance, or like to create drama, like you did in this thread and another thread where you attempted to provoke the staff. Other members read the comments and get the wrong idea based on that members comment.

That's why I encourage members to contact a staff member regarding a SPECIFIC complaint so that it can be explained or resolved instead of making it an sometimes uneccesary public ordeal.

Here's a simple idea for you. Help make the forum a better place and post constructive comments and ideas. If you want to whine and complain about how this forum is run (this isn't the first time) and be hostile towards the staff, please find another forum that will accomodate your disrespect for all the work that goes into this forum to allow you attempt to provoke the moderators.

I intentionally ignored your request?

Where oh where do I begin.

You made a request on how to get more people posting here. But, when people start posting things that you don't like, or don't fit in with your skewed view of the universe, those posts are edited, moderated, deleted. You lock threads when you want to have the last word.

What is going on in your head, dude? Is every member here supposed to march lockstep with everyone else and what you and your "staff" dictate? I mean, Jesus H. Christ buddy, it seems like you hand out titles and divisions and positions like this place is a third world country with the dictator handing out perks.

Now that you live in Texas, you might have heard a phrase describing someone os something with a lot of posturing and not a lot to go with it: All Hat, and no cattle. Ask one of your pals down there what that means eh?

You know what, I need to just sit back, not be so defensive, and listen to the members concerns. This is a member driven forum, and different from other forums of this genre out there. There are some good ideas on this thread, and they will be incorporated into the 2009 Stategic Plan.

It's just that I want to please everyone, and it's not possible. I should have known that when I open these threads, I open the door for people to complain about this forum. I've been running this forum for over 5 years, and I get to see the complete picture on the way things work. The staff, and I, but the staff especially, work very hard to keep these forums going for you guys, and there's a lot you don't see that goes on.

When I jump in and get defensive, it's because I hate seeing members putting information out there regarding the operation of this forum when they haven't got a clue what they are talking about. Constructive criticism is one thing, but ignorance is another.

And, sometimes I feel that all the hard work by the staff is taken for granted, and completly unappreciated. But I know that there's hundreds of members that stand behind the way we operate this forum, and I've seen many cases where this forum has helped solve problems, get the word out, create friendships, etc.

HOWEVER, to be clear, I WILL NOT TOLERATE ABUSE OF THE STAFF OR DISREGARD OF THE FORUM POLICY OR RULES. Again, if you have an issue the best way to resolve it is to contact a staff member, and not to sit and stew about it.

Sqd47, I'm not interested in getting into it with you. You're intentionally posting false and incorrect information like you have in a previous thread similar to this one. You never have contacted me regarding one of your "complaints". Personally,I feel you're looking to stir the pot and create drama, as is obvious by your personal attack on me. The things that you said were completly irrelevant and unnecesary, but just prove my point. If you think you can run a better forum which you obviously do, then go right ahead. If not, I respect the information, knowledge, and experience you bring to this forum in other posts, and encourage you to email me so we can work out some of your discontent with this forum and myself as I would like to keep you as a member.

I forgot to mention, can we get back to how we can get the "lurkers" to start posting, and stop with this back and forth nonsense?

Well if we're all professionals it shouldn't be too much to ask that sentences be complete (that is have appropriate capitalization, spelling, and punctuation) so that others can actually read and understand what you're thinking when you type. Much is lost in the written word absent tone, inflection, context, etc. so the "trivial" stuff we (I), the grammar police, harp on makes a big difference to readers.

The difference between this and so many other sites, including Lohud's, is that it is moderated. There are absolutely uncontrolled "rant" sites on which you can say anything about anyone but this isn't one of them so there are some rules to follow. It really isn't that big a deal.

I propose a New Year's resolution: let's all try to make this site a better one. Those who have posted criticism, thank you. I'm sure that all the staff who are reading these comments are considering your points and I hope that you will take the time to post your thoughts or comments (so long as they are not bashing another member or an agency specifically). This is not to say that criticism is bashing - you all know what I mean. Then we can all see how things go.

If all we do is harp on the past, there really is no future!

Thanks to all who took the time to respond, good, bad or indifferent! B)

Maybe add a pinned topic with some abbreviations that are used on here.

Great idea Bud.... ;)

Another thing that is my pet peeve....I HATE when the Mods change a title of a thread.....sorry.,.....I just do. ;)