Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

NYS Budget Line Item for Parkway Patrols

29 posts in this topic

Among the local items of the proposed NYS Budget 2009-2010 budget:

Eliminate Westchester Policing Aid. Funding to Westchester County in support of patrols of certain parkways in Westchester is

eliminated. Similar funding is not provided to any other municipality in the state, and the required statutory schedule of payments

was completed in 2001-02. (2009-10 Savings: $2 million; 2010-11 Savings: $2 million)

Does this mean WCPD won't be patrolling the parkways (again) and if so, will this cause job cuts?

This isn't good...

thats not good, that means cops would be laid off and policing will fall back on the state and on the municipalities and I know in Yonkers we are busy enough without having to handle every MVA and crime / incident on the highways... Let's hope the money is found to keep the county jobs and to keep the patrols up on the highways !!!!

This has been in the proposd budget for at last the 10years. It keeps getting dropped from the final version

This has been in the proposd budget for at last the 10years. It keeps getting dropped from the final version

While this is true, this is the 1st time that the state is in real financal problem and are planning on massive cuts. I fear that this time will be the hardest fight to keep the funding.

And if cut, will the NYSP increase units to make up the difference.......I'd be shocked if they could (again who's going to pay?)

Among the local items of the proposed NYS Budget 2009-2010 budget:

But this is more important.

Improve Processing of Alcohol and Beverage Control Licenses. An investment of $3 million is included in the budget to supplement the operations of the Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control. These new resources will support legislation authorizing the sale of wine in grocery stores, and will be used to alleviate the current license application backlog.

We will sell wine in grocery stores so we can tax it and create revenues. But let’s eliminate the patrols ( Which I really can’t see them doing that but you never know.)

So instead of spending $3 Million on this, fund the patrols for one more year, hopefully well get out of these financial crises and we can move from there.

BTW.. I don't know about everybody else, i get my wine from a LIQUOR store because that have a lot of choices, I’m not going to get it at A & P.

I think the problem with the state and federal law makers are that they have no idea on how to live on a pay check to pay check. Running a family budget, eliminating wasteful spending. The majority of them are very rich. So when they say " we know what the average American is going through" they are full of it. Let them fight in the trenches. They won't last...

Ordinary citizens could run things better.

Take a look at the 50 richest Congressional members The 50 Richest Members of Congress

and if you think it ends there Gov. David Paterson unveils dire New York State budget that includes new taxes, layoffs and cuts

Let’s try a new concept... STOP SPENDING OUR HARD EARNED MONEY!

Happy and Safe New Year To All….I’m off my soap box.

It's time government lived within a budget. Just like us, this is what you have to spend, that's it. Now do your annual budget. How amny of us have unlimited funds? Can you just ask your boss for more money? That's exactly what the government is doing, we are supposed to be the boss, they are telling us they will be taking more money.

Maybe its time to give them the message, if the people have any B@!!s vote out all the incumbants. That will tell the rest WAKE UP!

A lot more money in liquor taxes then there is in traffic enforcement. You might not buy wine in an A & P...but in many other states they have sold wine and such for years and in today's rushed society it will sell and I bets it will in large quantities.

Other then the benefits to my brothers who don't have to get bogged down on some of the highways the county patrols versus themselves, there is no other truly identifiable benefit. People speed right by a patrol car as it has another pulled over, people still speed, cut each other off and drive like maniacs regardless of patrols or not. Having them there means better response to DV's and MVC's to clear them up faster and as stated to get local units free for other issues. Generating tickets..sure. But define "safer."

Its a budget crunch...everyone's idea of priority is the most important to them. I just don't want to see anyone laid off or their safety compromised by stretching less units.

So they have never gotten this money then correct? If thats true than this whole thread is really a non-story since there is no decrease in state funding to County PD,

So they have never gotten this money then correct? If thats true than this whole thread is really a non-story since there is no decrease in state funding to County PD,

No, you have it backwards. The funding is always slated for cuts, however, every year, at the last minute, it goes through. This year though, I don't know.

No, you have it backwards. The funding is always slated for cuts, however, every year, at the last minute, it goes through. This year though, I don't know.

I believe that last year was the first time that it was in, and approved in, the Executive Budget. It always found its way into the legislative package.

It will be very interesting to see whether or not it survives this year's budget battles in Albany. Hopefully it does but as was said, this year is tougher than years past.

So if this passes, local PDs will patrol/respond to all the parkways in Westchester?

So if this passes, local PDs will patrol/respond to all the parkways in Westchester?

More than likely it would fall to (an already stretched thin) State Police, as they are State-owned Parkways.

More than likely it would fall to (an already stretched thin) State Police, as they are State-owned Parkways.

In the past when this was proposed, it was stated that the NYSP would take over this patrol. With no additional resources to cover approximatly 7 sectors. That would require about 35 officers plus suppervisors.

If this happens I think we will end up waiting hours to get a trooper (and thru no fault of the troopers)

Simple solution, close the parkway at every accident, until the State responds and Albany will rectify the problem rather quickly for everyone and staff the area properly or hopefully say we can't do this and give it back to WCPD, who do a great job out there. Ever listen to the thruway radio, they are obsessed over keeping roads open.

If this FAILS to pass, the parkway patrols may become an issue. The three options as I see it are: 1. County continues to patrol them at our own expense (like what Nassau and Suffolk do/used to do), 2. State Police will take over responsibility for the roads, or the least likely 3. locals will be expected to patrol the roads going through their community. I really don't see that happening though as they are state highways.

In the past when this was proposed, it was stated that the NYSP would take over this patrol. With no additional resources to cover approximatly 7 sectors. That would require about 35 officers plus suppervisors.

If this happens I think we will end up waiting hours to get a trooper (and thru no fault of the troopers)

They will not put 35 more troopers down here, they've said that already so you can expect to see even longer delays for a trooper as they're stretched too thin already!!!

We shall see!

If this FAILS to pass, the parkway patrols may become an issue. The three options as I see it are: 1. County continues to patrol them at our own expense (like what Nassau and Suffolk do/used to do), 2. State Police will take over responsibility for the roads, or the least likely 3. locals will be expected to patrol the roads going through their community. I really don't see that happening though as they are state highways.

They will not put 35 more troopers down here, they've said that already so you can expect to see even longer delays for a trooper as they're stretched too thin already!!!

We shall see!

Would the "eliminated funding" also affect the County Police coverage in the Town of Cortlandt as well?

The patrol's would most likly be from SP Hawthorne as SP Tarrytown & SP New Rochelle are Thruway Patrol's & yes the Thruway likes to get the road open ASAP as for Hawthorne I have never had any interaction with any of there patrol's

Glenn Klein

I have been involved in the towing industry for over 20 years, working on most of Westchester's parkways & interstates. i am also a Past Chief, former E.M.T

If the state eliminates the funding for WCPD, trust me it would be devistating, not only to the officers that might lose their jobs, but to us as first responders, and as well to the P.D's that have to pick up the slack. Look at the Saw Mill Pky, after Yonkers, Hastings...not bad mouthing (any) P.D. on the overnight tour can they send a radio car to the parkway for 30-45 min. or more? Part of the parkway is actually in Irvington, than Elmsford, which I know on some nights there is only one car on the road. The only people that will lose on this deal is the General Public. We as first responders will be streched to the limits.

I'm sorry for babbling.....just my thoughts.

Would the "eliminated funding" also affect the County Police coverage in the Town of Cortlandt as well?

No. Only the parkway patrols.

Simple solution, close the parkway at every accident, until the State responds and Albany will rectify the problem rather quickly for everyone and staff the area properly or hopefully say we can't do this and give it back to WCPD, who do a great job out there.

LOL Albany has never rectified anything, ever. By just driving onto the Hutch we close it because of the size of our apparatus. WCPD does a great job in getting us cleared off a scene, once we are no longer needed. My concern is once we close these narrow roads for an extended time the traffic will be so bad that PD will not be able to get to the scene. And tieing up our rigs is unaceptable.

Ever listen to the thruway radio, they are obsessed over keeping roads open.

Yes they are and it has created many issues on I-95 with us. But its also a different type of road with different issues.

No, the Town of Cortlandt contracts with the county for police coverage. It would affect coverage of the Saw Mill, Hutch and Cross County. The Bronx River is County owned and would still be patrolled by WCPD. Let's hope the State finds the money and were able to avoid this mess.

Who would get the $ from the speeding tickets? If a local Govt. doesn't; they might not expend their resources so eagerly .

Who would get the $ from the speeding tickets? If a local Govt. doesn't; they might not expend their resources so eagerly .

The local government gets the fine and the state gets all the surcharges. The County PD actually gets nothing for the tickets they write.

The local government gets the fine and the state gets all the surcharges. The County PD actually gets nothing for the tickets they write.

Just a clarification, the local municipality gets the fine, with the exception of speeding tickets (any VTL 1180 subsection). For the speeding tickets, the municipality gets the first $15.00, and the balance goes to NYS.

Just a clarification, the local municipality gets the fine, with the exception of speeding tickets (any VTL 1180 subsection). For the speeding tickets, the municipality gets the first $15.00, and the balance goes to NYS.

Is it the municipality or the municipal court that gets the money?

Is it the municipality or the municipal court that gets the money?

I believe the money goes into the court fund, which goes to the municipality. Not sure, however, what happens in Rye and Pelham town courts.

Anyone know how it works with the TVBs?

Edited by 23piraf

What about the county parks (Tibbets, Rye Playland, etc)? Would they be affected, or just the parkway patrols themselves.

From my experience when I worked down there, the County PD was already stretched thin (1 car for the entire Saw Mill at times!).....but they did a very good job.

What about the county parks (Tibbets, Rye Playland, etc)? Would they be affected, or just the parkway patrols themselves.

From my experience when I worked down there, the County PD was already stretched thin (1 car for the entire Saw Mill at times!).....but they did a very good job.

As someone else already mentioned, this would only apply to the Cross County, Saw Mill River, and Hutchison River Parkways. All the other stuff that the county does (Parks, Grasslands, Airport, College, Office Buildings, etc.) is county funded.