Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Rehab Units in or available to Dutchess

20 posts in this topic

I didnt want to hijack the 34-71 Thread so I started this.

In regards to REHAB specific units - I am curious as to what is in, or avaialble to Dutchess County FD's?

I know DC911 has the Mobile Dispatch/Command truck, which is very nice - but that isnt what I am talking about...

I mean more of a rehab/cooling/warming unit....tents/chairs/etc.

Are there units with a bathroom? (Don't laugh....I had to steal a Chief's Car yesterday for an emergency run back to Millbrook Firehouse......you may have heard it on FG 7/8 <_< )

The most important thing in regard to rehab...is having a policy in place of what you want available and what you expect of your personnel to do with it. I can't see how having rehab capabilities would fall back onto the county or how it would even be able to be performed that way.

I would assume that most rehab ops would fall back onto the EMS agency for the district, using other available FD resources, such as auxiliary members, etc. Also keep in mind that rehab is not just for fire, but all emergency services when operating under conditions where it is warranted.

Rehab is more then just a word, a cooler with water and a bus with AC or heat. It is a process and resource that is often misunderstood, performed in name only and not something strictly enforced during operations.

I've been fortunate enough to lecture on the topic of rehab twice in Dutchess in the past couple years...one recently in East Fishkill (I thank you guys again for a great time!) and revel at how far we've still come in terms of rehab over the past couple of years...but also realize that many areas have a long way to go.

In regards to REHAB specific units - I am curious as to what is in, or avaialble to Dutchess County FD's?

I know DC911 has the Mobile Dispatch/Command truck, which is very nice - but that isnt what I am talking about...

Are there units with a bathroom? (Don't laugh....I had to steal a Chief's Car yesterday for an emergency run back to Millbrook Firehouse......you may have heard it on FG 7/8 <_< )

you didnt steal it just borrowed it as your car was blocked in by 2 other chiefs cars :P

Dont look for a bathroom in the field com unit

Dan great question.

When we were operating at the HRPC fire one of the first things Cmd thought of long term wise besides the obvious of water and man power was bathrooms. M&O was called and they supplied multiple Porta-jons and boy were they used!! :lol:

It was a while ago but the poly tech fire if i remember right food and drinks were brought in from around the town and a large tent was set up in the area of the command post. As far as bathrooms we had the office that was seperate from the fire building. Maybe Chief Duncan can expand as he was command for the 7 day operation. This is what i can remember after what was it 13 years ago How time Flies !!!!!

Edited by JHK3605

The Red Cross is always available for incidents in Dutchess County.

Good point they have a canteen not sure on bathrooms

In New Fairfield we'll generally use our ambulance. We used to use Danbury Volunteer Squad 7 (Lighting/Air truck, it was a walk in rescue) which gave room for the EMTs to do multiple evaluations and let people hang out and warm up, but they have a walk-around now, so that ends that. I suppose we could use Danbury Volunteer Canteen 13 for food/drinks and continue to use the ambo's for evaluations, or call in an actual bus from HART or the schools.

As they are in multiple other areas...and they are great...but that is not rehab.

When we were operating at the HRPC fire one of the first things Cmd thought of long term wise besides the obvious of water and man power was bathrooms. M&O was called and they supplied multiple Porta-jons and boy were they used!

Good job for the IC to keep that in mind and be able to with all that was going on with that incident. Then again being Dutchess actually has a clue about IMS and uses it very well, the load at larger incidents should lighten on the IC if they break down functions correctly. This is something that a good planning sector would think of and logisitics would make it happen.

Just remember one thing..if you have food, by NFPA 1584 you have to have the ability for members to wash their hands. Which is pretty smart when you think about it. Doesn't take much...you can do commercial grade hand wipes...a few bottles of water with holes in their caps...or if you actually want to do true rehab...spend a little money and get a couple of camp showers. They work great and are inexpensive.

If we spend as much money on preventive measures like rehab as we do with reactive measures like FAST perhaps we can lower LODD's.

Our Og for rehab. Welcome to copy and change as needed.5_E.pdf

thanks Chief

Dont look for a bathroom in the field com unit

The City of Poughkeepsie's Command truck has one..and I would have NO problem calling it out by us for that purpose! :P

I agree with you ALS - especially from an EMS standpoint - just how important the CARE itself is to manpower preservation.

Rehab, or as it is lovingly known - EMS Prison....can be a pain in the a**, but it is vital to the scene.

What I was looking for is to see if any local departments had a vehicle - a converted bus, or walk in command truck that could facilitate the thawing of member's at such a large scale incident.

Millbrook had a fantastic set up at their fire recently, with plenty of food, bevergaes, and EMS personel staged to check members. The only thing missing was the crapper! :P

Dan put this one in your bank for the future, I carry a roll of tissue, hey you never know!!!

Dan put this one in your bank for the future, I carry a roll of tissue, hey you never know!!!

LOL...I carry baby wipes....

As a hunter...and having "bad bowels'...I KNOW the importance of not committing yourself without protection!

There was word that there was an apparatus there equipped with the "Bumper Dumper" and privacy tent...but i didnt trust them.....not the one with the camera at least! :P

Dan,

Last I knew the City's unit does have a bathroom but they were not using it. Chief Knapp did commit that if someone needed it, they would send it but it may be wise to check the bathroom status.

Dan,

Last I knew the City's unit does have a bathroom but they were not using it. Chief Knapp did commit that if someone needed it, they would send it but it may be wise to check the bathroom status.

Oh there is no doubt that the bathroom is OFF limits! :lol:

Edited by x129K

I know that Staatsburg Fire talked about retrofiting their ambulance into a rehab / suport vehicle with tents, seats, and suplies but I don't know what ever happened with the plans after I moved out of the district

We're in Westchester but available if requested. Buchanan FD's Utility 4 is a converted school bus with Heat, A/C, roll-out awning, coolers, tables for IC and...A Bathroom. Lights and siren up Route 9 and we're in Fishkill in 25 min.

We're in Westchester but available if requested. Buchanan FD's Utility 4 is a converted school bus with Heat, A/C, roll-out awning, coolers, tables for IC and...A Bathroom. Lights and siren up Route 9 and we're in Fishkill in 25 min.

Great info....something for us to keep in mind for sure.