Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

Yonkers rehires 11 laid-off cops

10 posts in this topic

http://www.lohud.com/article/20090128/NEWS02/901280400

Eleven Yonkers police officers laid off as a budget-cutting measure by Mayor Phil Amicone at the end of last year are to be reinstated, mayoral spokesman David Simpson said this afternoon.

The reversal is the result of savings from reductions in police overtime and the recent retirement of 18 members of the department, said Simpson, adding that the reinstated officers are to report tomorrow to police stations to receive badges and equipment, and to begin work as early as Friday.

Congrats to all of those involved......Yonkers finally got it right.

Let me see if I got this right, they didn't know 18 eligible employees were planning to retire?

How much notice do people normally give, 5 days? 1 week? 2 weeks?

At my former place of employment, we were asked to provide 4 MONTHS notice, if possible.

In any event, by those numbers, Yonkers is still shy seven officers.

Let me see if I got this right, they didn't know 18 eligible employees were planning to retire?

How much notice do people normally give, 5 days? 1 week? 2 weeks?

At my former place of employment, we were asked to provide 4 MONTHS notice, if possible.

In any event, by those numbers, Yonkers is still shy seven officers.

[/quote

Really anyone over the 20 year mark is eligible.

I'd imagine some 20+ year guys are reading the writing on the wall and got out of there before things got real bad. Good start, hopefully the rest of the guys that got laid off/demoted in both FD and PD will get their jobs back.

Congrats to the Yonkers 11. These guys are a shining example of loyalty. I know for a fact that there were many job offers on the table for these guys, but they wanted to wait it out. Bout time Yonkers got their heads out of their arses...

Good fot he Officers, but the PBA took a beating in that article...

A beating in a rag newspaper is fine, but the outcome of 11 officers being reinstated is a priority and overtime was cut 40%. The police department accomplished it goals of cutting back overtime and saving money and as you can see it still is not enough. They want more and more.

No givebacks, no free days working and no demotions by the PBA. One thing not stressed is that it is winter and crime tends to drop a bit, when the summer hits and manning levels do not increase and the specialized units are not reinstated we will have our hands full.

Good luck to the 11 reinstated officers. Keep up the good work YPD PBA.