Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Ammunition complicates fighting house fire

6 posts in this topic

Ammunition complicates fighting house fire

11:22 AM CST on Monday, February 2, 2009

KVUE News, Austin Texas

An overnight fire in South Austin got even more dangerous when firefighters realized there was ammunition inside.

http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/02020...h.10410368.html

Nothing more comforting then attacking a fire and hearing that popping sound...HIT THE DECK!!!

This occurred in Pine Plains last fall, something like 3,000 rounds if I am not mistaken. We were called over for MA but I was out of town for the day, so it was second-hand information.

This happened to me first hand in Gettysburg, PA in 1998 (maybe early 1999). It was the first major fire for the department's new 75ft Quint which was used as a first out engine with a 100ft truck and pumper to follow. We rolled up and myself, company officer, and backup man ran the 2.5 up to the third story of an 100 yr old middle unit row house with common attic (although divided by plywood). By the time we got up stairs and started putting a knock on it we were hearing lots of cracking that wasn't typical timber burning. We realized it was ammo and took cover in the stairs and used the roof joist and beams to dispurse the water flow throughout the attic. Shortly there after the fire was pretty well out and the truck was opening up...... When the daylight hit we realized that there were multiple gun cabinets with 1000's of rounds of ammo. Luckily, none of the rounds that discharged were chambered in the stored guns although some of those guns were loaded and a chambered round would have carried enough energy kill.

Not a cool moment for me and my boys.

Edited by mfc2257

Unchambered ammunition is no more dangerous in a fire than any of the other hazards you might face. Actually, probably less so.

Bullets are not flying around as depicted in the movies. One study, which I will see if I can find and post, showed that ammunition stored in cardboard boxes, exposed to fire conditions, did not leave the container.

Ammunition that is in the chamber of a firearm, however, is dangerous if exposed to fire conditions as it will act like it is supposed to. That is, to exit the muzzle with high velocity.

Yep....all show...no go....but enough to dookie up some britches!