Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FIT-5 Used Successfully - Milan FD

15 posts in this topic

FIT-5 device used once again with excellent results. Milan FD is located in Dutchess County. Their members did a great job limiting the spread of the fire.

02/15/09 15:38 Hrs. Milan Fire Dept. Recieved a report of a house fire on Willow Glen Road. After enjoying a dry spell of not having a house fire in over 18 months and in less then two weeks of putting three FIT-5 Fire devices in service, they arrived to find heavy fire blowing of two windows. We were afraid the fire had to much of a head start for the FIT 5 device but because their were two vehicles in the driveway and the occupants were initially unaccounted for, the device was deployed while the Milan Fire Dept members were gearing up and stretching lines. The device was thrown threw the vented window into the heavy fire room on the south side of the building. Afterwards speaking to members who were in front of the structure, they reported seeing the fire die down and smoke change. Talking to the interior guys, they reported they could see were it knocked the fire down. In fact, other than some fire damage to the roof from the outside in, the 95 % of the fire was limited to the room of origin with heavy heat and smoke damage to the rest of the main floor. Mutual Aid provided by Red Hook, Livingston and Pine Plains , Dutchess County Cause and Origin and American Red Cross. The occupants were not home at the time of the fire, however four pets perished in the blaze. Cause determined to be accidental - smoking by teenagers. The homeowner will be able to rebuild thanks in part to the Fit 5. Milan was able to purchase three such devices thanks to a private grant.

Who was the first to respond to the fire? What did they do? NYSP and Milan FD. While lines were being strectched and members were gearing up. FIT – 5 thrown into fire room threw vented window

How did using the FIT-5 impact the fire department's ability to fight the fire? Cooled fire allowing entry for search and rescue. Limited spread of fire

Was the FIT-5 successful in aiding the fire department? Definetly

How long has the fire department had the FIT-5? When purchased? Over one month only in servie two weeks

How much damage was done to the structure fire? Heavy heat and smoke throughout main floor of residence. Fire damage limited to mostly to fire room.

How much would you damage would you estimate if the FIT-5 was not used? Structure would have been lost

Would you purchase / use the FIT-5 again? Already looking for funds to purchase more

How did you hear about the FIT-5? NY Chiefs show

How many FIT-5s does your department have? three

Would you recommend this product to other fire departments? Already have

Have you or any of your colleagues deployed the FIT-5 before? no

We may be utilizing your thoughts and comments in our marketing, is that acceptable to you?

Attached Thumbnails2209d1234887338t-fit-5-used-again-great- 2210d1234887338t-fit-5-used-again-great- 2211d1234887338-fit-5-used-again-great-j2212d1234887338-fit-5-used-again-great-j

Edited by Chris192
Edited at the request of the post author.

Is this an advertisement or post?????????????

It could be both. Fit5fire is a paying advertiser to this site, and I think duly so, is allowed to let others know about their product, and a success story.

I don't mean to start an arguement by any means, but from what I have heard about this product the conditions have to be just right for it to work. I have heard that some departments have had some success with it. The demo that was given at the Dutchess County Training center did not go very well and the Departments that were there were not impressed.

I too would be interested in hearing from members involved in Milan...

Bad timing - my Cub Scouts got the Troop K tour last week by Trooper/Past Chief Galm. I'da loved to pick his brain about this..

I too wondered about that... 'product placement' for a paying advertiser perhaps, but posted as an IA in the IA forum...??

<edit> ok it seems someone else took that view too, I see it's been moved since I first noticed it.

Edited by abaduck

The IA alert template comes up on all psts here in the talk forum - you have to manually delete it.

i was on the first interior attack into the fire room and as we went in the fire was knocked down significantly from what it had looked like b4 the fit-5 was thrown. the walls in the fire room were burned completely through and most of the studs were gone but there was the powder from the fit-5 that covered the walls in the rooms next to the fire room and most of those struts were never even touched by heat or flame. it was fascinating how much this device stoped the fire spread and gave us time to search the building there was little to no damage on the upper floor of the building because of this device. while doing overhaul i found the device in the middle of the hall between the fire room and the dinning room where we stoped the fire spread and the position was perfect and the outcome could not have been better. the only real fire load after the device was thrown in was around the windows and the couches burning in the rooms but i believe that the fit-5 def saved that building and i would recomend them to any dept and as far as certain conditions to operate with the amount of fire showing i never would have thought it would have done the job it did but it really put a knock down on the fire itself and gave us time to get established and get an aggresive interior attack established

Chris thanks for sharing your first hand account of actual fire conditions and your observations of the effective work by the device.

So....... no structure fires for 18 months, buy these things and within weeks, boom! You got a job. Hmmmm..... sounds like the best fire prevention move here is not to buy the things in the first place ;)

i was on the first interior attack into the fire room and as we went in the fire was knocked down significantly from what it had looked like b4 the fit-5 was thrown. the walls in the fire room were burned completely through and most of the studs were gone but there was the powder from the fit-5 that covered the walls in the rooms next to the fire room and most of those struts were never even touched by heat or flame. it was fascinating how much this device stoped the fire spread and gave us time to search the building there was little to no damage on the upper floor of the building because of this device. while doing overhaul i found the device in the middle of the hall between the fire room and the dinning room where we stoped the fire spread and the position was perfect and the outcome could not have been better. the only real fire load after the device was thrown in was around the windows and the couches burning in the rooms but i believe that the fit-5 def saved that building and i would recomend them to any dept and as far as certain conditions to operate with the amount of fire showing i never would have thought it would have done the job it did but it really put a knock down on the fire itself and gave us time to get established and get an aggresive interior attack established

THATS what I was hoping for! THANK YOU for the input - are there any pictures?

Good morning

US Fire Tech did not do the live burn session in Dutchess. I have done approximately 12-15 burn demos though.

But, with regards to live burn training sessions, the product always performs quite well during these sessions, however, the fire does indeed come back. Sometimes, expectations are more than what the product is designed for. It is meant to give you some additional time by knocking the fire down.

My recollection of the Dutchess burn was that a burn room was built, the fire was allowed to self vent and then the FIT was deployed. There is pics and info on the Dutchess Cty site (I will try to find it).

Here are some absolute FACTS regarding three FIT uses since November 29,2008;

The Milan FD is very satisfied with a recent fire

The Hauppauge FD (Long Island) also tremendously satisfied

The Ridge FD (Long Island) is quite satisfied, Chief said it kept the house from burning to the ground

ALL TESTIMONIALS ARE AT US Fire Tech

The live burns were a vital part of us introducing this product to the fire service.

We now have actual, real results from FD's in this region, who when the s_it is hitting the fan, used a FIT-5 and have realized excellent results. This device allowed their fd's a few extra moments to stretch lines, establish a water supply and make an aggressive interior attack.

Perhaps, this device, by knocking the fire down, allows for a safer

interior attack, rather than mounting an exterior attack. All these issues weigh on the IC, if this device was around 4 years ago when I was chief, I would not have used it in all fires, but there were times I truly wished I had it.

Again, a GREAT JOB by The Milan FD limiting the spread of fire.

If anyone wants to be on our mailing listing to recieve monthly updates, contact us through US Fire Tech

Brian Lynch

Ex-Chief

US Fire Tech

631 514-9307

Edited by xfirefighter484x
correct Dutchess spelling

See Columbia Page please at http://www.columbiapage.com/id370.html

Brain I was just on the site above and was coming here to post it, you beat to it and as you said Again, a GREAT JOB by The Milan FD limiting the spread of fire.

Saw pictures at our house fire the other day like i said before good job by all