Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

SCBA and the Glasses Wearer?

21 posts in this topic

What do my fellow glasses wearing brothers do when wearing a mask?

Myself - I wear my contacts as often as possible, but I dont always have them in when a call goes out..I buy my glasses with small frames so they fit inside the mask.

What other options are out there?

I HAD a set of the specs pictured here, but I can not find them to get lenses put in.....they would be the best bet for me I think. Anyone know where to buy them?

post-2837-1235085918.jpg

I'm fairly certain you can get mask inserts with your prescription. Several people in New Fairfield have them that I know of.

Myself - I wear my contacts as often as possible, but I dont always have them in when a call goes out..I buy my glasses with small frames so they fit inside the mask.

I HAD a set of the specs pictured here, but I can not find them to get lenses put in.....they would be the best bet for me I think. Anyone know where to buy them?

Dan I think Daryl has inserts for the mask for his glasses if i see him before you i will ask

I would be very interested in something that is NOT in the mask all of the time, as I usually ahev my contacts in and don't need specs.

I REALLY have to dig my attic up to look for those specs Mirande wears.

Contacts are not recommended for use while wearing a respirator in a potentially IDLH environment.

Mask manufacturers make a prescription lens "spectacle kit" that clips inside the mask, so you get your vision correction and the face seal remains intact. It pops right in or out, depending on need.

Contacts are not recommended for use while wearing a respirator in a potentially IDLH environment.

Mask manufacturers make a prescription lens "spectacle kit" that clips inside the mask, so you get your vision correction and the face seal remains intact. It pops right in or out, depending on need.

Yes - I saw the kits on Scott's site. That is simialr to what I am looking for - but the problem is - what about the time you do not have the mask on? Yeah...you can put your regular glasse son, but it is a pain switching back and forth with fire gloves on...

I know it is not recomended because the strap breaks the seal - but I am most likely going to order a set of the pictured glasses if I can't find mine - I found them at a miltary surplus site.

I try to remember to take mine off in the rig, but I do not always remember. I carry a hard case for them if I have a moment/remember to do it before I put my gloves on. I also have on occasion put my mask on over my glasses. I can still get a seal, although technically I am not fit-tested with them on. I had a pair of inserts in my volunteer department, but they disappeared somewhere when I resigned. They worked okay, but sometimes just sat crooked and bothered me. I really just have found that if you need your mask, you probably are not going to be seeing very well anyway.

Hello my fellow glass wearing brothers....When I first started in the fire service my first instructor told me that you can't see in a fire so you dont need them!...I carry a hard case in my gear where I stow my glasses if needed....Let me tell you that I have lost a pair or two but its all worth it in the end..

I disagree with notion that if you wear a mask, you cant see anyways....respectfully.

MY experience is that I see ALOT with my mask on....sure going down a dark hallway charged with smoke may be zero viz, but I carry a light (ordered a super duper version today!)...I see a bit..I see when I am opening a roof...operating on a ladder or aerial...I see in haz mat situations and CO alarms, I see most of the times I have my pack on...in fact - I wear my mask a fraction of the time I have my pack on...I need to see in those instances.

That is the major reason that I do not want mask mounted specs.

I agree with x129 on that one. I try to wear my contacts as much as possible as well.

No contacts in IDLH is an old standard. Use to be contacts were forbidden in the lab. The fear was that anything splashed into the eyes would be drawn under the eye by capillary action and become trapped under the contact lens. Turns out its not true. Since there is all ready water between the lens and the eye, there is no capillary action pulling the substance in. Objects do not become trapped under the lens as they easily rinse out. Enjoy your contacts and if you can swing the cost, get the laser. Best money I have ever spent.

Hey Dan how about Lasik eye surgery. Although some what expensive it pays in the long run and I believe Volunteer FF get discounts.

Hey Dan how about Lasik eye surgery. Although some what expensive it pays in the long run and I believe Volunteer FF get discounts.

Forget glasses, get the Lasik Surgery. The price for us was about $2800.00 including all the follow up appointments. A bunch of us did here. Back to work the next day. Its been over a year now, and not one of us has had any issues or problems. I have better than 20/20 vision and its incredible. Unfortunately, not everyone is a candidate.

I really think the only option is the mask mounted specs, unfortunately. I carry the hard case, but it is a pain just before you go into the building to take them off with everything else to worry about. I agree, you have the mask off more than on, and you can still see inside with the mask on occasionally. i also worry about crushing the glasses (even with a hard case) or losing them. I know the Sharon Fire Dept uses the guy in town to mount their glasses on the masks, we are thinking of doing that in Amenia.

I have the spectacle kit for my mask, they work great. The only problem is switching, but it's just something I have gotten used to, I don't wear contacts so that isn't an option.

I really think the only option is the mask mounted specs, unfortunately. I carry the hard case, but it is a pain just before you go into the building to take them off with everything else to worry about. I agree, you have the mask off more than on, and you can still see inside with the mask on occasionally. i also worry about crushing the glasses (even with a hard case) or losing them. I know the Sharon Fire Dept uses the guy in town to mount their glasses on the masks, we are thinking of doing that in Amenia.

I use a nalgene bottle with a cloth liner for mine (Had to do something with the ones that still have BPH or whatever that hormone was in them). I am fairly confident that it will hold up to crushing, although it's bigger then what I would like - it works.

I think the best thing is to just wear your contacts as much as possible. If the call comes in the middle of the night, grab the case and your contacts. In the 30 seconds between getting on the truck and it pulling out, put in your contacts. If you've been using them long enough, you should be able to put them in during that time with time to spare.

I always make sure that I have my contacts in when I go to a call. With practice I have gotten good at it and can do it fairly quickly.

Mine seem to fit well in the new av3000 scott masks. but when we had the older masks I had to take them off and put them in a hard case