Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tdc202

Hudson Valley CME Oppurtunities?

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I am lookiong for a web site to find some CME's in the Dutchess Orange Putnam areas. I tried the region page but didn't really find much. Any help would be gretaly apprecitated.

Thanks

Can you do your CME's online?

I know that there are several in Westchester coming up.

Hi everyone. I am lookiong for a web site to find some CME's in the Dutchess Orange Putnam areas. I tried the region page but didn't really find much. Any help would be gretaly apprecitated.

Thanks

Vassar has some, I can find you a list.

Thanks Everyone all help is appreciated

If you're not looking for Med control, then Albany medical center has a ton of online CME's on their website, something like over 50. I used them on my last recert, you basically just go on and take a test, and it gives you an hour of CME credit.

Google: Free CMEs. Your head will spin

Thanks

Good Sam has CMEs on the first Monday of the month. Always good.

BVAC in Beacon and Millbrook FD Rescue Squad also have regular CMEs...

St Francis I think Thur. the 27th 6p - 8p

Vassar Tues. April 7th 6:30 - 8:30

I would contact the Region by phone and discuss your CME needs with them directly. The problem I have seen in the past is that some regions get picky about what CMEs you do online and who they are approved by. HVREMSCO seems to prefer CEBEMS approved Online CMEs. As for CMEs taking place at various locations, you often have to make sure that the CMEs are preapproved by the region so that you know your time spent will count. I don't know too many instances where they AREN'T eventually approved, but there have been some.

The person that I spoke to over there recently was very helpful with information. Give them a call. 845-534-2430. They can probably direct you to local CMEs. They can't recommend specific online CME sites for obvious reasons. Check out http://www.cmelist.com/emergency.htm for a short list (although admittedly MD oriented) or google "online CME". I'm currently looking at centrelearn.com to fulfill my Trauma CME needs. I'll let you know what I find (if I remember to post it).

Edited by WAS967

A friendly correction to previous post: http://www.hvremsco.org/ (note the missing "M").

I have recently signed up for CentreLearn's "RapidCE" Online CME program. It costs $59.95 for a full year of unlimited CMEs (there are hundreds to choose from ranging from BLS to ALS to OSHA/BBP to Fire Service. So far the courses have been informative and easy to digest.

A friendly correction to previous post: http://www.hvremsco.org/ (note the missing "M").

I have recently signed up for CentreLearn's "RapidCE" Online CME program. It costs $59.95 for a full year of unlimited CMEs (there are hundreds to choose from ranging from BLS to ALS to OSHA/BBP to Fire Service. So far the courses have been informative and easy to digest.

WAS967,

Ive been an EMT for about six years now and this will be my first CME recert. I had intended on doing the normal refresher but my department started thier own classes in January this year. Problem is I have to have everything in order by May 15th, to be ontime. I read that you are only allowed 24hrs of self study time (online, books, dvd). Would this "rapidCE" program count for those hours? Are there WMD and Geriatric hours available that way (to kill two birds with one stone)?

NDP EMS 24 Hour Core CME Marathon:

Friday May 1st 6pm-10pm

Saturday May 2nd 8am-5pm

Sunday May 3rd 8am-5pm

Tuesday May 5th 6pm-10pm

at NDP HQ 3 Hook Rd, Rhinebeck

Call 876-0338 x22 to register

I think you have it backwards. You need 24 hours of CORE CONTENT REVIEW which is classes overseen by a NYS CIC (Certified Instructor Coordinator) that covers the following:

* 24 hours of Refresher Training (review of core content)

o Preparatory (1)

o Airway (2)

o Patient Assessment (3)

o Medical/Behavioral (8)

+ General Pharmacology/Respiratory/Cardiac (4)

+ Diabetes/Altered Mental Status/Allergies (2)

+ Poisoning/Environmental/Behavioral (2)

o Trauma (4)

o Obstetrics/Gynecology (2)

o Infants and Children (2)

o Elective (2)

Then you must do an additional 48 hours of additional continuing education requirements, which must include:

o Geriatrics (minimum of 3 hours)

o WMD/Terrorism (minimum of 3 hours)

It is the additional 48 hours that you would/should be able to do online and yes, I'd imagine CentreLearn could fill that role for you. I would consult the people at CentreLearn or at your agency of record who is overseeing your recert for verification. Records of your additional CMEs should be forwarded to and kept on file with the agency through which you are you registered to do the CME recert.

You must also complete a CPR class.

WARNING: DO NOT ALLOW YOUR EMT TO EXPIRE DURING YOUR RECERT. If you do, you MUST take a normal classroom based refresher. (Sorry, don't meant to add pressure but thems the rules).

You must also complete a skill competency portion which would demonstrate your knowledge of BLS skills in front of an instructor. This can be part of the Core Content classes mentioned above (and usually is done as part of the electives).

For more information (and the source of the above): http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/c...n/cmerecert.htm

Edited by WAS967

Out of the 48 "additional" hours, 24 of them can be self study, the remaining 24 must be classroom based. I know that for a fact as I'm in the middle of all of it right now, and was told that by a CIC.

And just cause I like to have proof to back up what I say:

From NYS DOH BEMS 3 Year Pilot Recert manual

"A maximum of 12 hours for "core content" and 24 hours for additional CME hours may be credited for self-study activities through documented continuing education via publications, video and/or Internet training."

see http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/c...ilotguide04.htm for further info

A maximum of 12 hours for "core content" and 24 hours for additional CME hours may be credited for self-study activities through documented continuing education via publications, video and/or Internet training.

Found this with additional reading. Appears NDP is partly correct. Seems of the base 24 hours of CORE content, you can also take 12 of that online. So in effect of the 72 hours of CME needed, you can do 36 of it online/self study. The remaining 36 need to be in the classroom setting it appears. Again, talk to your agency and/or the CIC overseeing the CME recert for your agency for clarification.

Personally, I just like to take a rapid refresher class somewhere. Go in, take a practical, take a written, get some take home tests to do, take a class or two, do your CPR, take the NYS written and your done. I do this every 2.5 years (if you do it early you get it out of the way and your expiration date rolls back a bit).

Sure beats the heck out of driving yourself nuts trying to make sure you have this CME and that CME and "CRAP! I need a Geriatric CME and the only place teaching one in the next month is in Utica!". ;)

Good luck!

.what are the sites to do online CMe hours? I need to start taking CME's and any online CME's would be a help

google.com is a good place to start. Try "EMS CME".

You should know by now what I use from my previous posts.