Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Taconic reopened N/B after truck crash in Putnam 3-16-09

23 posts in this topic

Nice job to that driver :rolleyes:

My relief was late this morning because of the accident...at least I had to get on NB at 301 to get home!

Gotta love the picture from Lohud too... A major route closed and there's DOT, sitting on the guiderail with their coffee... That's gonna fire up some commuters! :lol:

Yeah,but what ride home.Off at Shrub Oak and up Barger St to Bryant Pond,back on Taconic till Peekskill Hollow,up and around through Pudding St and back on Taconic.With no cars in sight,I felt like Kramer with nice luxurious wide lanes. :)

guess the driver can't read. If I remember correctly all entrances say no commercial traffic onto TSP. Lucky she didn't hurt anyone. This is why I want to move back to the north. They just can't drive down here. Worked 6 yrs in nyc and haven't done as many mva's as I have down here. Great shot of DOT.

They have much better warning signs from the L.I.E. onto the parkways for trucks (IF YOU GET ON THIS PARKWAY YOU WILL HIT AN OVERPASS). The signs on 84 are relatively small and it seems that tractor trailers on the TSP are becoming a weekly occurance.

They have much better warning signs from the L.I.E. onto the parkways for trucks (IF YOU GET ON THIS PARKWAY YOU WILL HIT AN OVERPASS). The signs on 84 are relatively small and it seems that tractor trailers on the TSP are becoming a weekly occurance.

Not for nothing but these are all supposed to be "professional" drivers, aren't they? There's no excuse for a locally based trucker to make such mistakes (if they're mistakes) and a professional from out of state should pay more attention to unfamilar roads.

As for the signage, how big should it be? This is just one roadside sign and there are similar overhead ones. Seems pretty clear to me.

post-4772-1237238583.jpg

Yeah,but what ride home.Off at Shrub Oak and up Barger St to Bryant Pond,back on Taconic till Peekskill Hollow,up and around through Pudding St and back on Taconic.With no cars in sight,I felt like Kramer with nice luxurious wide lanes. :)

Not for me brother...my relief is also from Poughquag so his misery led me to opt to take Rte 9 to 301 to the TSP. 9 SB was a friggin mess.

The signs for the TSP and no trucks is a joke. The only other thing that I can say is I always thought that having a road name with "Parkway" at the end was universal for no commercial trucks.

GPS again, at least it wasn't a railroad crossing this time.

Another vote for "A CDL will make you a safer driver".

Another graduate of a 7 day CDL school.

GPS again, at least it wasn't a railroad crossing this time.

Oh but they made improvements to that crossing....

There are now reflective markings adjacent and perpendicular at that crossing.

Unfortunately they scared the heck out of some of the engineers the first time they navigated that crossing at night. Coming through that turn in the dark the markings look just like the reflective striping on trucks. :blink:

Edited by TRUCK6018

Not for me brother...my relief is also from Poughquag so his misery led me to opt to take Rte 9 to 301 to the TSP. 9 SB was a friggin mess.

The signs for the TSP and no trucks is a joke. The only other thing that I can say is I always thought that having a road name with "Parkway" at the end was universal for no commercial trucks.

Not always, New Jersey allows trucks on the Garden State Parkway from exit 105 south to Cape May.

GPS = 3 inch screen for navigation

Windshield = Reality!! No matter what the GPS says, you still need look outside..

Any SMART TRACTOR TRAILER DRIVER would realize that when he was on the on ramp that it was a tight fit for a big rig what an idiot to keep on driving once he hit the bridge maybe he can drive a car carrier on route 311 in patterson ny next !!

Nice pictures of the NYSDOT keep working !!

A majority of these guys are maniacs no matter where I drive. One of them managed to park his tractor trailer inside a hotel that was well up and off the highway the other day near where I used to work. It turned out to be a nice tech rescue job, and no one got hurt, but this guy really launched it.

I hope this new Federal Bill includes money for commercial vehicle enforcement that includes signage. Many of these guys are from small towns and have no idea how complicated the road system is up there.

However, I thought these guys were scary, until I drove in Ireland....now there are some aggresive truck drivers with bigger trucks on roads smaller then the Taconic!!

Sounds like quite an incident....does anyone know who did the recovery?

Taconic reopened N/B after truck crash

http://www.lohud.com/article/20090316/NEWS04/903160354

Hyatt's Garage did the recovery. Even though Lake Towing has the TSP contract, they do not have, nor need, the equipment to handle such large vehicles (since TYPICALLY those size rigs are not on the Parkway, lol).

Hyatt's Garage did the recovery. Even though Lake Towing has the TSP contract, they do not have, nor need, the equipment to handle such large vehicles (since TYPICALLY those size rigs are not on the Parkway, lol).

I believe that area of the parkway is Hilltop Towing not Lake service, Lake runs down to 301, and Hyatts did handle the recovery quite well... As for the state workers standing around in the picture in LOHUD they can't do much to repair the guide rail and roadway with a tractor trailer across it... they had to wait for the truck to be cleared from the highway... then they made pretty quick work of putting the rails back up....

I worked that incident as one of the NYSDOT workers. There was 4 of us who were at work at 330am and saw the tractor trailer hit the 301 bridge and tried to get him off the TSP but everyone knows the end result. Tractor trailer jack knifed through the center rail closing TSP S/B completely and closing 1 land N/B. Hyatts did the recovery and was very quick to respond. Due to the tractor trailer jack knifing through the center rail, the rail was actually wedged between the trailer and the 5th wheel and the trailer split in 3 different places. The trailer was loaded with 44,000 pounds of hardwood flooring. There was a diesel spill due to the saddle tank being crushed and of course if there is a will theres a way for the motorists who were behind the trailer to sneak by on the shoulder S/B and track the diesel almost to Peekskill Hollow Rd. In the begining it was a joint effort between the DOT and Hyatts to get the center rail from under the tractor trailer. Once the rail was free from under the truck, DOT was able to remove the sections of rail. Then it was a waiting game. Hyatts had to unload the entire trailer, DOT had to wait for the new center rail to be deliever from the Carmel yard and we also had to wait from the trailer to be moved away from the center rail for us to work. This incident occured around 500am and most of the crew had to be called in early, most of who were in bed still sleeping! The picture of us was taken at 0930am when we were waiting for rail and the trailer to be moved. 4 out of the 10 of us there report to work at 0330 am and work til 1200 which means from 0700 to 0730 is lunch time for us but wait we were working to help clean up the accident, so at 0930 when we stopped for 1 cup of coffee, I think it was a well deserved break. After that we were able to open 1 lane to N/B traverels and by 1400hrs the entire parkway was reopened and cleaned up including the spill/sand/speedy dry cleaned up, tractor trailer removed by Hyatts towing the tractor and the trailer loaded on a lowboy trailer, 6 new sections of center rail including all new posts driven back into the ground and bolted in place.

Anyone know if DOT has considered putting height warning system on TSP, similar to the one where I684/287 and the Hutch meet, to warn drivers that there vehicle is too tall (or in this case) does not belong on the roadway.. it might jar the drivers brain cells to think again about going on the TSP..

Where's everyone's sense of humor? :blink:

Lighten up! It was a JOKE! The photo captured a time honored stereotype of public works emplyees and that was the whole point.

This is another good example of why some agencies don't permit breaks to be taken on an incident site or in an operations area.

Anyone know if DOT has considered putting height warning system on TSP, similar to the one where I684/287 and the Hutch meet, to warn drivers that there vehicle is too tall (or in this case) does not belong on the roadway.. it might jar the drivers brain cells to think again about going on the TSP..

Doesn't matter! Even with the flashing lights and ringing bells they drive right past them and hit the bridges anyway!

Chris,

I realize, we can't fix STUPID!! But it makes it harder to explain to the officers and thier boss how they got there, with all the warning signs..

I dont think the state is going to be spending that kind of money anytime soon. The governer in looking to lay off 8900 state employees as it is. There is signs at just about every on ramp for the TSP warning drivers. People just need to pay more attention when driving esp. out of state drivers and GPS is not helping and the GPS truck updates are not always correct either.