Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snkbitn

Large cat-like creatures seen in the area LOHUD article

23 posts in this topic

If they are lucky it is a Cougar, Catamount, Puma they are all the same thing, but they have not been sightings of a breeding pair in New York or the Northeast for years, only evidence of kills. All of this is from the DEC. Populations existed all throughout North America prehistorically but with the expansion of human population and development, North American Cougar populations all but disappeared. Populations of note exist in Northern Canada and Florida.

It would be a much bigger deal than this article if a large, exotic, non-native feline species got and was terrorizing or wandering loose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Cougar

If they are lucky it is a Cougar

Cougars, eh? Plenty of them around Westchester... usually found at shady bars on weekday nights... or so I hear...

A guy my Dad worked with struck and killed a Bobcat on the TSP in Yorktown a few years back. It was a pretty big deal with the DEC at the time. It seems they are more or less extinct in the Westchester area, but are quite common upstate and in other parts of the country.

Cougars, eh? Plenty of them around Westchester... usually found at shady bars on weekday nights... or so I hear...

:lol: Cougars on the other hand are quite common in the 914!

They make a cologne out of those things you know

... It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

.... They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

They make a cologne out of those things you know

... It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

.... They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

anchorman_the_legend_of_ron_burgundy_mov

That 'stache unleashes a fury only comparable to an offended Chuck Norris high on opium ... I need one..

Bobcats are around. I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually what these folks saw in thier area.

Time to get me a gun.... between the bears, coyotes and large cats seen around here, it may be time...

A lot of those in Garnetland Steve? I've been meaning to check out the Rye Bar and Grill since the renovation... might find a few in there... Have you checked it out yet?

585... I hear a large carnivore is hibernating in the room lately... I believe the natives call it BDL????

JBJ

Edited by JBJ1202

It doesn't surprise me that DEC is trying to downplay the possibility. Large cats (not bobcats) have been sited in upstate areas for at least 6 years that I know of. Friends of ours near Cooperstown had a picture that could only be described as a very large cat taken by a trail camera.

In Broome Co last year, several goats and sheep were killed. DEC said the kills were likely from bear, a theory not upheld by the number and manner of the kills.

DEC continously denies that these cats exist in NYS. They also deny, as "rumors", that they are responsible for the big cats' return to NYS. Allegedly, they re-introduced the cats as natural preditors to help control the deer and coyote populations.

There are literally THOUSANDS of trail cameras in the woods, all over New York...and that number grows everyday...WHY aren't there ANY pictures of these "big cats" out there?

There are no mountain lions here in NY, especially in the Hudson valley area...what they saw, as described in the article, were bears. Black bears coming out of hibernation.

Edited by x129K

It doesn't surprise me that DEC is trying to downplay the possibility. Large cats (not bobcats) have been sited in upstate areas for at least 6 years that I know of. Friends of ours near Cooperstown had a picture that could only be described as a very large cat taken by a trail camera.

In Broome Co last year, several goats and sheep were killed. DEC said the kills were likely from bear, a theory not upheld by the number and manner of the kills.

DEC continously denies that these cats exist in NYS. They also deny, as "rumors", that they are responsible for the big cats' return to NYS. Allegedly, they re-introduced the cats as natural preditors to help control the deer and coyote populations.

I agree 100%, i was going to reply with the same basic information, there have been Mountain Lion "sightings" reported a few times to DEC officials who give you the "look" that would make you think they know something we don't.

There are literally THOUSANDS of trail cameras in the woods, all over New York...and that number grows everyday...WHY aren't there ANY pictures of these "big cats" out there?

There are no mountain lions here in NY, especially in the Hudson valley area...what they saw, as described in the article, were bears. Black bears coming out of hibernation.

Would have to disagree on this one, when i first moved to Sharon the neighbors were talking about seeing an "animal" that i could not figure out from their description, my wife saw it twice and the second time she was able to get a picture of it ( not a very clear one) which clearly showed a large cat like animal with a long "looping" tail, the picture could be debated and has been so we left it alone and have not seen anything since, this was about three years ago. Quite a few years ago there was repeated reports of a pair of these cats on the moutain behind Silo Ridge golf course??

Edited by RDUNC67

There was a Mountain Lion spotted in Wingdale about perhaps 8 or 9 years ago; I remember the forest ranger came by and told people to keep their young children out of the woods until it could be trapped. I never heard anything else on it so I assumed it was captured.

For the longest time you never heard anything about bears in Dutchess county now it seems to be an everyday occurence (when not in hibernation) who knows maybe some day we will find out what these "Cat like Creatures" are !!!! Maybe relatives of the lochness monster :lol:

I had heard a rumor several years ago that the DEC released 2 Mt Loins in Dutchess county to help control the deer population. They were both tagged and had GPS on them. I know several people in the Town of Clinton that said they saw them. I cant think of a better place then Westchester that needs help with the deer population. You never know.

DUDE!!! That's the Elusive North American Cougar, not the furry ones!!!!!!!! :P

Could it be ManBearPig???

"I'm totally serial!!!"

HUMMMMMM... Could it be Lohud making something out of nothing???

post-937-1237624177.jpg

Just got word... DEC has found it... They are making their move... Pictures are coming in.... Stand-by...

post-937-1237624321.jpg

Bobcats are around. I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually what these folks saw in thier area.

Time to get me a gun.... between the bears, coyotes and large cats seen around here, it may be time...

Or you can contact your local town of cortlandt mountian man... :lol: