Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CPAGE

Found on the side of the Road

90 posts in this topic

Interesting. What company did it serve?

They had the one that was pictured on the Local's website at 3s for a little while and I think at 2's also. The only reason I think there were two at one point was I remember when they closed Station 2 during the late 80s / early 90s for a short period and there were two Compacs in there. I think they were spares at that point and the second one was purchased from another fire department.

I have a couple friends and my cousins is an LT at 3's, I'll see if I can see if I can get an answer. I know they were sold.

Grumpy I believe that pic you have is Stratford's old one definitely, just can tell by that sticker and I remember the body style. I'll see if I can find a better picture out there.

Found this Ford/Ward Lafrance at the Thunder Ridge Ski Area in Patterson, NY. NYS Registration sticker on windshield says 1969 with a VIN of C85LUD98788, a plate on the pump panel said 1968. Obviously was a snapple advertisement, but it looks like it was originally red, and later repainted yellow. 1000gpm pump/500 gallons water(estimate). Inside the cab, on a sunvisor KEH-912 is written in marker. Google search comes back to Ulster County Emergency services. Does anyone have any ideas on who this previously served?

post-917-003171700 1287956773.jpg

post-917-076999900 1287956856.jpg

on the pump panel

post-917-085417500 1287956895.jpg

Edited by grumpyff

Found this 1947 Chevrolet marked 'Moorhead FD' 'Community fire truck' in a gas station in Poughkeepsie,NY today. In my usual rush I forgot to look for any builders tags on the body. A Google search revealed a Moorhead, MN department, but no mention of this truck in their website. Also looks to modified into a tanker at some point.

driver side

post-917-069289300 1283390415.jpg

officer side

post-917-032131600 1283390451.jpg

and the rear chute

post-917-090365700 1283390476.jpg

on Firepics, I was told this has Luverne bodywork, and is more than llikely from Minnesota.

The other two were ambulances with no markings

post-917-033101800 1283297902.jpg

and

post-917-048089200 1283297923.jpg

Having been in the yard this weekend, the top ambulance belonged to a rescue squad in PA, when it was bought by a VAC in TX that never got off the ground who sold it to its current owner.

The bottom ambulance is a 2005 from North Bergen NJ EMS

And the Californ Brush Truck drives like a dream for a '84.

Found this Mck/Aerialscope on a side street in the City of Rutland, Vermont. It had been sitting there a year or so before i even took these pictures, which i took more than a year ago.

MACK.bmp

MACK TL2.bmp

Sorry, cant figure out how to just insert my pics without having people upload them.

BVFD1054,

It's relatively easy to post pictures.

Below and to the left of where you type the text for your post it says "Attachments". Below this is a blank space and "Browse" next to this. Click on Browse to find the file in your computer. (Note: before selecting your file(s) always resize them to maximum 800 x 600) Once you have selected the file click on "Attach This File". You can then Browse to selct more pictures or go to "Add Reply". This will post your pics in the post. It just takes some getting used to. I spent quite awhile browsing and queing pictures (before posting) only to lose them when I went to preview. The more pictures you post the more confident you will be.

Hope this helps.

BVFD, try attaching the above pics to this thread to see how "easy" it is.

Found this Mck/Aerialscope on a side street in the City of Rutland, Vermont. It had been sitting there a year or so before i even took these pictures, which i took more than a year ago.

Did a quick search and Piney Flats appears to be in Tennessee. This TL also appears to be a former FDNY rig, judging how the cab is squared off at the back.

BVFD1054,

It's relatively easy to post pictures.

Below and to the left of where you type the text for your post it says "Attachments". Below this is a blank space and "Browse" next to this. Click on Browse to find the file in your computer. (Note: before selecting your file(s) always resize them to maximum 800 x 600) Once you have selected the file click on "Attach This File". You can then Browse to selct more pictures or go to "Add Reply". This will post your pics in the post. It just takes some getting used to. I spent quite awhile browsing and queing pictures (before posting) only to lose them when I went to preview. The more pictures you post the more confident you will be.

Hope this helps.

BVFD, try attaching the above pics to this thread to see how "easy" it is.

Steve, that is the way i attempted to attach my pics. I think the problem is with my computer, as i have an outdated browser.

Did a quick search and Piney Flats appears to be in Tennessee. This TL also appears to be a former FDNY rig, judging how the cab is squared off at the back.

CBX, i too did a google search for this FD. I also found the Vol FD in Tenn, but the website wasnt very informative. Good eye regarding the cab. It would be interesting to see if this was indeed a former FDNY Truck and what company it served.

One of these days i will have to stop by the house where this truck is sitting and inquire about it.

Passing through Bedford Hills this morning I was finally able to get a half way decent photo of the Ex-New Paltz, NY E-One marked E 43-16. Their website has a photo of it, but no info. Assuming it is also part of the Mutual-Aid Americas program (http://www.mutual-aid.org/)

post-917-0-41511700-1292806441.jpg

Found this Ford/Ward Lafrance at the Thunder Ridge Ski Area in Patterson, NY. NYS Registration sticker on windshield says 1969 with a VIN of C85LUD98788, a plate on the pump panel said 1968. Obviously was a snapple advertisement, but it looks like it was originally red, and later repainted yellow. 1000gpm pump/500 gallons water(estimate). Inside the cab, on a sunvisor KEH-912 is written in marker. Google search comes back to Ulster County Emergency services. Does anyone have any ideas on who this previously served?

post-917-003171700 1287956773.jpg

post-917-076999900 1287956856.jpg

on the pump panel

post-917-085417500 1287956895.jpg

I'm gonna say rosendale fire dept, in ulster county.

Passing through Bedford Hills this morning I was finally able to get a half way decent photo of the Ex-New Paltz, NY E-One marked E 43-16. Their website has a photo of it, but no info. Assuming it is also part of the Mutual-Aid Americas program (http://www.mutual-aid.org/)

How about Mutual Aid New York State !!! A lot of departments right here in New York need help !! Many small departments in upstate don't have the money to buy gear or rigs so why are we giving good gear and rigs to people who don't give a f*** about us! Sorry for the rant

ptwatson likes this

How about Mutual Aid New York State !!! A lot of departments right here in New York need help !! Many small departments in upstate don't have the money to buy gear or rigs so why are we giving good gear and rigs to people who don't give a f*** about us! Sorry for the rant

I agree completely. Stupid rules rules (especially if a grant was used to purchase a new apparatus) dictate that it can no longer be used for firefighting in the US. A lot of these smaller less fortunate departments can't even apply for these grants if it requires spending money they don't have.

I'm gonna say rosendale fire dept, in ulster county.

Thanks for the tip.

Amen Ang!

Many local FD's relace apparatus sipmly due to its age. Many times there are no major problems/issues with a rig when it is replaced. Many rigs still have low mileage/pump hours and are in very good condition.

Ive said it before; ive seen many depts in upstate NY and especially Vermont that would kill to have our "hand-me-downs."

Im willing to bet that the E-One from New Paltz could still be a decent front-line piece for a needy department.

Anyway, sorry to derail this thread. Lets keep the pictures coming.

Stratford did have 2 Compacs - one was running as Engine 2 while the other was running as Engine 3. Differences in spotting features was one had the round flashers while the other had squared-off quad headlights and flashers. At the time, the Squrt was Engine 11 out of HQ (had the Pierce Arrow), Engine 1 was the Maxim, and Engine 4 had the Pierce Arrow pumper. Spares were Engine 10 (ALF Century), a slightly older ALF (Kept up at 4co.) and an old Maxim Snorkel I seem to recall being stored up there as well. Anyone know where the old snorkel went?

-Jim

If anyone knows of a dept who wants to buy a good quality, well maintained and plenty of service life still left rigs, my district has 2 of them for sale 1987 Hahn (Marlboro E 38-20) 500 gal water, 1500 GPM pump (totally stripped of equipment except ground ladders) and a 1982 Stuphen, (Marlboro E 38-30) 1000 gal water, 1500 GPM pump. The Stuphen has 2000 feet of 4 inch, and a bunch of loose equipment including ground ladders. E 38-20 was our first out until we got our new engine a few months ago. E 38-30 is still a front line piece.

PM me for more details. We cant find buyers anywhere, and we're not asking big $$$. I'd love to see them go to a good home. We'll even take yearly payments from a dept if all they can afford is a few thousand a year. No kidding, we've done it before.

Edited by 38ff
firedude likes this

I'm thinking that once Lime Yellow Continental Compac which was spotted up in

Poughkeepsie? might be an old Yonkers FD engine.

I remember in the early 80's Yonkers FD had a few of them.

They didn't last long but I do remember E307 was a Lime Yellow Continental Compac

my neighbor FF George Munson (retired) drove it.

Thoughts from any Yonkers FD members?

Great Pics... THANKS!

Amen Ang!

Many local FD's relace apparatus sipmly due to its age. Many times there are no major problems/issues with a rig when it is replaced. Many rigs still have low mileage/pump hours and are in very good condition.

Ive said it before; ive seen many depts in upstate NY and especially Vermont that would kill to have our "hand-me-downs."

Im willing to bet that the E-One from New Paltz could still be a decent front-line piece for a needy department.

Anyway, sorry to derail this thread. Lets keep the pictures coming.

Agreed, the rule sometimes seems silly because a lot of these rigs could have thousands of good miles left in them, but the Overloads of the NFPA dictate that no frontline piece can be more than 20 years old...

Agreed, the rule sometimes seems silly because a lot of these rigs could have thousands of good miles left in them, but the Overloads of the NFPA dictate that no frontline piece can be more than 20 years old...

While the 20+ year old rigs may not be dead, are they safe to operate? Read the fatality reports for rural FD's. They are almost always due to vehicle accidents. Thats why new vehicles have superior braking and handling capabilities. How many 20+ year old tankers were actually engineered to drive at speed on back roads?

While the 20+ year old rigs may not be dead, are they safe to operate?

I'll agree with you Barry, but I think a big issue with older rigs, is that the drivers are not used to operating older vehicles... We all get spoiled with the new features, and we tend to push the package.. We forget the truck is not " AS SAFE " to operate at speeds as the newer ones....and many assume they are still driving their own cars... M

Most of the older trucks I have driven, I tend to go much slower... maybe I do not trust the truck, or I respect its limits... When I first learned to drive, EVERYONE learned on a standard transmission, I spent days going from one end of our property to the other learning the clutch.. how many younger guys actually know how to work a clutch ?

Yes, wear and tear is an issue, but I believe the driver is the biggest issue...

helicopper likes this

Three retired Philadelphia Fire Department Chevy/1st Response Ambulances waiting to be sent to the city's auction yard

post-20550-0-69410800-1294359792.jpg

Philadelphia Fire Department former Squrt 57's 1987 Seagrave Squrt being used for parts at the city shope a while back

post-20550-0-39114700-1294359990.jpg

One of Philadelphia's 1974 Dodge/Ranger Light Wagons languishing at the city shops not long after it was retired

post-20550-0-40177300-1294360163.jpg

When where those pictures taken ? The ambulances are 1989 or 1990 Chevy 3500 ! No way they used them for 21 years!

When where those pictures taken ? The ambulances are 1989 or 1990 Chevy 3500 ! No way they used them for 21 years!

Ex-Darien, CT PD Truck 1

found sitting in a lot in Bedford Hills, NY

post-917-0-46113600-1330980076.jpg

post-917-0-98926200-1330980086.jpg

1989 Amertek 1000/660

Ex- Camp Atterbury, (Johnson County) Indiana.

used on US Army Reserve base. In the same lot in Bedford Hills, NY

post-917-0-69999200-1330980169.jpg

post-917-0-01773800-1330980277.jpg