Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bnechis

New Construction Material

22 posts in this topic

For those that can not deside which is worst the Wood Truss or the Wood I Beam take a look at this:

post-4072-1238427725.jpg

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=6383

Find your ductwork's happy place. Run it in conditioned space.

The XJ 85® I-joist from Georgia-Pacific is an innovative engineering achievement, combining radical hole shaping and placement with the stiffness and quality you expect from Georgia-Pacific Wood Products. The strategically located pre-cut openings allow ductwork to be run in conditioned spaces, out of extreme attic temperatures. This helps lower heating and cooling loads, and helps increase energy efficiency. Plus, the lightweight construction and wider on-center spacing of the XJ 85 joists contribute to lower installed cost.

Strategically placed openings accommodate plumbing, wiring and duct work.

* Installing ductwork through the XJ 85 joist in conditioned spaces can help lower heating and cooling loads and improve energy efficiency.

* XJ 85 I-joists are available in 16" depth and standard lengths from 6'- 26' - trimmable on-site to fit perfectly.

* Flexible accommodation for plumbing, wiring, and HVAC saves time on planning and cutting holes in the joist.

* Openings are closer to the end of the beam, closer together, and wider than ever, providing increased architectural and construction versatility.

* Rounded corners of the openings contribute to smooth, fast installation.

* FASTBeam® and FASTPlan® software assists in providing structural analysis and planning for floor designs.

* Customers can take pride in reduced timber consumption, usage and the ecologically-friendly nature of engineered wood.

Just what we need. A structural component that fails even quicker.

"Find your ductwork's happy place. Run it in conditioned space."

Should be re-phrased to read:

Find Your Ductwork's Happy Place.

While Increasing a Firefighters Chance In Going to the Pearly Gates.

Edited by BFarr156

I sent them an email as well.

I know this doesn't directly pertain to The XJ 85® I-joist from Georgia-Pacific, that Barry originally posted for us.

I received a link to WISN (an ABC affliate) from Milwaukee on a news video back in Nov. 2008. I don't know if anyone has seen this video or a link was posted here previously. But it has to do with Wood I Beam Joists (TJI) and effects on them under fire conditions.

http://www.wisn.com/video/17971947/index.html

I noticed on the website that they added a two more segments to this story on March 18 & 19, 2009. Here is the link to those videos:

http://www.wisn.com/video/index.html

All three videos can be found on the menu of videos below the video player on the website.

Edited by BFarr156

There ought to be a law......

for identifying locations of buildings of truss or other lightweight component / engineered materials construction. This way responders/rescuers don't become victims themselves when these fail.

for identifying locations of buildings of truss or other lightweight component / engineered materials construction. This way responders/rescuers don't become victims themselves when these fail.

There is in New York, but only for new construction since December 29, 2004.

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/code/trussID.htm

Edited by BFarr156

I was just coming to post the VERRY SAME thing!~

There is... a step in the right direction anyway. A small step...

its getting to the point where a fire truck pulls up and we are gonna have to ask the homeowners for a blue prints before we decide to attempt to go in!!!!! I thought the I beams were bad enough!!!!

its getting to the point where a fire truck pulls up and we are gonna have to ask the homeowners for a blue prints before we decide to attempt to go in!!!!! I thought the I beams were bad enough!!!!

What's going to happen is that we'll be FORCED to take a defensive position on most fires immediatley - and the construction world will LOVE IT...the insurance world...probably not so much.

Risk v. Benefit.........."it's just a house"

Edited by x129K

What's going to happen is that we'll be FORCED to take a defensive position on most fires immediatley - and the construction world will LOVE IT...the insurance world...probably not so much.

Risk v. Benefit.........."it's just a house"

Exactly Dan

Interesting topic but... weren't we supposed to be getting a 'building construction photos' forum for this kind of thing? I can't see it... yet?

There is... a step in the right direction anyway. A small step...

Yeah, too bad it only applies to commercial and industrial structures. In residential, where the fire protection standards are less rigid and truss use not as obvious we're still SOL.

I recently came across this sign on a newer small commercial building. The sign was posted low on the outside wall near the front door. The design is different than what is described in the earlier link from the NY Dept. of State, but I think it's just as effective if not more so. There's less to decode...

post-8519-1238585455.jpg

Insn't amazing what is allowed in today's constuction? Here is an excellent video of a news segment that covered the hazards of the regular engineered "I" joists. Underwriters Labortories (UL) has been doing some extensive testing regarding these. Six and a half minutes is all it takes for two firefighters to fall through the floor. It would be interesting to see these engineered joists tested, and how long it takes until failure.

http://www.firegeezer.com/2009/03/31/wood-...wareness-grows/

Be Safe!

I saw that some of you were emailing Georgia Pacific so I figured one more email wouldnt hurt...

Dear GP,

I recently saw in a firefighting online forum your XJ 85 I-joist. These types of support members make the job of a firefighter incredibly dangerous. Although firefighting is an inherently dangerous activity, todays building materials make it that much more dangerous. I'm sure your product does very well without heat and fire but as you may know, once those two things are applied, failure and collapse are bound to happen. Firefighting has changed greatly in the last decade or so with the new light weight construction and has made the job entirely too unsafe. Please reconsider your building materials. Our lives depend on it.

Sincerely,

Reply from GP:

Thank you for taking the time to share your view with us. Georgia-Pacific applauds the work of our nation’s firefighters. We are honored to support fire departments in our communities through the Bucket Brigade™ program that we started in 2006 in partnership with the National Volunteer Firefighters Council.

Georgia-Pacific has an 80-year legacy in the Building Products business and we are proud to supply our customers with innovative products like the XJ 85® I-joist. Made with 2”x4” flanges and a 5/8” thick web, the XJ 85 I-joist enables advanced framing techniques for sustainable and durable construction and increased energy efficiency for homeowners. We also recognize the importance of structural integrity of floor and ceiling assemblies in the unfortunate case of a fire. Our Installation Guide for the XJ 85 I-joist details a certified one-hour fire-resistance-rated assembly that includes the following components: minimum 23/32” tongue and groove APA rated Sturdi-Floor® plywood sub-floor, galvanized steel furring channels, one layer of 5/8” thick, Type C gypsum wallboard, and minimum 2” thick, 4 pcf density mineral wool insulation batts.* Although most residential structures (one- or two-family residential dwellings) do not require fire-resistance-rated assemblies, the inc

lusion of a protective membrane such as gypsum board can improve fire performance.

As we develop additional information, we will post it on our web site. Thank you again for contacting us and thank you for the vital work you do.

Passing a fire test in a controlled laboratory setting and referring to an assembly as having a one-hour, two-hour, or any other fire resistance or protection rating does not mean that either the particular assembly/system will necessarily provide one-hour fire resistance, two-hour fire resistance, or any other specified fire resistance or protection in an actual fire. In the event of an actual fire, you should immediately take any and all actions necessary for your safety and the safety of others without regard for any fire rating of any assembly/system. For more information, please visit www.gp.com/safetyinfo.

Reply from GP: Thank you for taking the time to share your view with us. Georgia-Pacific applauds the work of our nation’s firefighters. We are honored to support fire departments in our communities through the Bucket Brigade™ program that we started in 2006 in partnership with the National Volunteer Firefighters Council.

Georgia-Pacific has an 80-year legacy in the Building Products business and we are proud to supply our customers with innovative products like the XJ 85® I-joist. Made with 2”x4” flanges and a 5/8” thick web, the XJ 85 I-joist enables advanced framing techniques for sustainable and durable construction and increased energy efficiency for homeowners. We also recognize the importance of structural integrity of floor and ceiling assemblies in the unfortunate case of a fire. Our Installation Guide for the XJ 85 I-joist details a certified one-hour fire-resistance-rated assembly that includes the following components: minimum 23/32” tongue and groove APA rated Sturdi-Floor® plywood sub-floor, galvanized steel furring channels, one layer of 5/8” thick, Type C gypsum wallboard, and minimum 2” thick, 4 pcf density mineral wool insulation batts.* Although most residential structures (one- or two-family residential dwellings) do not require fire-resistance-rated assemblies, the inc lusion of a protective membrane such as gypsum board can improve fire performance.

Thanks for your effort & posting this. Maybe those that have direct input to the code councils (NYS & ICC). Since the code does not require any fire-resistance-rated assemblies their recommendation could be the basis for mandating it. While the assemblies in tests vs. real world are not the same it would be a big help.

Any active code people can this be moved forward?

I came here to post the message they sent me in regards to MY email....but it is a carbon copy of the one above...

The joist would not be so bad if the code dictated 5/8" Type "x" drywall in lieu of 1/2" drywall.

This is one of several instances were the codes are archaic compared to technology that is out today.