Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Roto-Rays: Texas Style

21 posts in this topic

While many people think Roto-Rays are a northeast and mid-atlantic thing, I know of one agency here in Texas that uses them. The Sam Bass Volunteer Fire District ("Compensated" firefighters and volunteer FF's) is an independent fire district within the City Of Round Rock. They serve the Brushy Creek MUD (Municpal Utility District) section of Round Rock.

This is a front shot of Engine 2, a 2002 Pierce Quantum:

post-11-1238615263.jpg

I am not personally a fan of roto-rays, but I like the dual tri-color thing these jakes have done.

It's gotta look like a Christmas Tree comming down the road

It's gotta look like a Christmas Tree comming down the road

At least they don't have to do much to decorate it during the christmas season, all the colors are already there!!! LOL

Just for reference, this is Sam Bass FD Truck 2, a 2004 Pierce Dash 85' w/ All Steer

post-11-1238618231.jpg

635-

Unrelated, but did they explain the difference between "compensated" and "volunteer".

I have not heard of a compensated status, is it similar to "call"?

Thanks-

MTP

635-

Unrelated, but did they explain the difference between "compensated" and "volunteer".

I have not heard of a compensated status, is it similar to "call"?

Thanks-

MTP

Basically, "Compensated" is a way to get around the traditional career firefighter system. The term "compensated", is what is used by them to define the firefighters who are paid and are not volunteers, although a lot of the paid staff were volunteers at one point. Some are also part-time.

Since they are a independent "MUD", or Municipal Utilities District, they are not technically part of the city, which is covered by the City Of Round Rock Fire Department, fully staffed by career union firefighters. They have a completly seperate set of rules. Eventually, I believe they will be annexed into the city department.

I don't know much more then that.

http://www.sambassfd.com/

I know this may be a dumb question. What is with the Green Lights?

Basically, "Compensated" is a way to get around the traditional career firefighter system. The term "compensated", is what is used by them to define the firefighters who are paid and are not volunteers, although a lot of the paid staff were volunteers at one point. Some are also part-time.

Since they are a independent "MUD", or Municipal Utilities District, they are not technically part of the city, which is covered by the City Of Round Rock Fire Department, fully staffed by career union firefighters. They have a completly seperate set of rules. Eventually, I believe they will be annexed into the city department.

I don't know much more then that.

http://www.sambassfd.com/

Thanks for the info Seth.

what an interesting light set up....very cool

kinda reminds me of one of those mobile christmas trees that they have in PA

Ghe-e-e-e-ey! :wacko:

Ghe-e-e-e-ey! :wacko:

well said

Nice rig, wonder if the siren plays Jingle Bells..

Only in America!!! Or the North Pole. :rolleyes:

I like those but in moderation... 2 is pushing it.

The green is ok around Christmas, nice thing is for our more patriotic holidays replace green with white and it'll fit better with the grille! Seriously, I like the American flag in the grille.

i dont see how all these lights are a necessity. cant they spend their money in more... useful ways?

i dont see how all these lights are a necessity. cant they spend their money in more... useful ways?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Roosevelt is getting this placed on their equipment during the holiday season. They said "screw the wreaths this is a gift from god" - Bill Marshall (Roosevelt Buff and extraordinaire)