Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mofire24

Camp Smith Fire Dept

13 posts in this topic

Former Camp Smith Fire Dept apparatus the engine and Tower Ladder are former FDNY and a brush truck

post-77-1240346471.jpg

post-77-1240346486.jpg

post-77-1240346497.jpg

Photos are Copyright of Gus Stretz and cannot be used without written consent

For the Westchester-inept, what is Camp Smith?

It is now an active army base was busy years ago it was very quiet there and NYS fire academy even had an annex there but now it's a very active base and is now covered by the Continental Village FD

That's the base that is on the way (i guess depending on how you get there) to West Point, correct?

yeah I used to pass it all the time going to West Point

They do a lot of different stuff there...fbi and pd's including NYC use it for training

thanks for the info and sharing the pics

It is now an active army base was busy years ago it was very quiet there and NYS fire academy even had an annex there but now it's a very active base and is now covered by the Continental Village FD

The annex was not FDNY. It was a NYS Fire Academy Annex built by members of FDNY SOC companies, several of whom perished on 9/11/01, along with some members of NYS Fire Academy guys. It was created under the Pataki administration, Pataki being from Peekskill, and closed shortly after Pataki left office. Mostly tech rescue courses were taught there.

Former Camp Smith Fire Dept apparatus the engine and Tower Ladder are former FDNY and a brush truck

post-77-1240346471.jpg

post-77-1240346486.jpg

post-77-1240346497.jpg

Photos are Copyright of Gus Stretz and cannot be used without written consent

Nice but where are they now, I spent alot of time there in the 90s and don't remember them

I learned the ropes about ropes there...great place to learn....

The rigs are long gone, the building pictured last held Continental Villages 14-2-3 until it was decided to have the village who covers the camp respond from their fire house and do away with the buildings there and build new training facilities. There is a complete plain to rebuild the camp with new modern up to date facilities and training buildings for the military.

:rolleyes:

Nice to see old pictures of the fire house. I was the Facality Engineer for Camp Smith in the late 1990's. Also the post fire marshall until 1999.

We supported the ESMA Training that went on every summer along with supporting the West Point Training every summer. The fire house

was manned every weekend by a full time Peekskill firefighter. We also had an Amertec Engine similar to the one at West Point for a few years.

I worked with the FDNY fighters who worked very hard making the NYS Training site a place to be proud of. It replaced the old RNCB-13

compound that was there for years.