Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yorktown supervisor talks of eliminating police department

40 posts in this topic

Yorktown supervisor talks of eliminating police department

By Terence Corcoran

tcorcora@lohud.com • April 21, 2009

YORKTOWN - Town Supervisor Don Peters is in preliminary discussions with Westchester County Executive Andrew Spano about the possibility of having county police provide police services for the town as a cost-saving measure, the two officials said today.

"Consolidating our police protection with the county's resources would

FULL STORY: http://www.lohud.com/article/20090421/NEWS02/904210404

WHAT?!

That's insane, look how busy and how big the Town of Yorktown is. That's one Town that should have it's own police force, no exceptions!

Edited by Remember585

The 58-member Yorktown Police Department has a $9 million annual budget. Its officers make hundreds of criminal and motor-vehicle arrests each year and Yorktown is considered a safe community.

Why does this sound like the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard? So because the Police have a pretty big budget and they do a really good job why would you want to get rid of them?

This may happen elsewhere also....maybe even where I live...I don't think it is the worst idea I have ever heard!

WHAT?!

That's insane, look how busy and how big the Town of Yorktown is. That's one Town that should have it's own police force, no exceptions!

How is it insane? It's cost effective. Yorktown would actually be getting a bargain. Minimum manning would stay the same. The town would save in purchasing/maitaining vehicles, retirement, injuries, legal actions, etc.

The Westchester 2000 plan done years ago addressed these issues. With the state of the economy the way it is, it's wise to consolodate.

WHAT?!

There is nothing that is crazy about this idea. In fact, there is no reason why Westchester shouldn't have a County PD - with the exception of the cities. Nassau and Suffolk do it. Just like having a County FD or EMS system - it would probably would end up providing a lot more bang for the tax payer's buck. Moving away from home rule and moving toward resource consolidation is the kind of forward thinking we need.

Edited by Goose

WHAT?!

WHAT?!

That's insane, look how busy and how big the County of Westchester is. That's one County that should have it's own police force, no exceptions!

I remember an advertising class that asked if you switched just 1 key concept how would it play (i.e. ford comercials video with GM audio) they are interchangable.

Why does this sound like the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard? So because the Police have a pretty big budget and they do a really good job why would you want to get rid of them?

Because people in Westchester no longer want to be the number one..........taxed county in the country.

1000's of county's have county, regional or state police and are very happy with it and pay less for better service.

They cover yorktown in the AM and yorktown/mohegan/cortlandt in the PM. NYSP covers mohegan in the AM.

Not really sure where you got that, but your wrong.

Not really sure where you got that, but your wrong.

I am still trying to figure out exactly what he said there...lol

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, but don't expect to see it anytime soon...

I'm sure Chris192 would have a better idea, but all the WCPD officers I know are saying they are understaffed as it is. Guys running traffic stops on the parkways in southern Westchester waiting 10 minutes for backup..

Obviously much more manning would be needed, probably additional vehicles as well. Considering what Yorktown PD covers, Rt 202, Rt 35, Rt 6, JV Mall, BJ's shopping center, Triangle Shopping Center, BOCES, numerous schools, and parts of Mohegan, JUST TO NAME A FEW.

If it does happen, it will take a lot of time, and careful thinking. I don't expect to see anything soon.

:D well thanks for the correction. Please do explain than, I must have got it wrong from what I was told.

State Police is the primary police department for the Town of Cortlandt with the exception of the 1 County Police Car ( 27C) during the day. Yorktown does not cover any of the town of cortlandt. Yorktown covers the Town of Yorktown ( Shrub oak, Half of Mohegan Lake, Jefferson Valley, Yorktown Heights, etc). Lexington Ave is the border with one half being Yorktown and one half being Cortlandt Manor.

I'm sure Chris192 would have a better idea, but all the WCPD officers I know are saying they are understaffed as it is. Guys running traffic stops on the parkways in southern Westchester waiting 10 minutes for backup..

Obviously much more manning would be needed, probably additional vehicles as well. Considering what Yorktown PD covers, Rt 202, Rt 35, Rt 6, JV Mall, BJ's shopping center, Triangle Shopping Center, BOCES, numerous schools, and parts of Mohegan, JUST TO NAME A FEW.

If it does happen, it will take a lot of time, and careful thinking. I don't expect to see anything soon.

The WCPD might be understaffed, but waiting 10 miutes for back-up is very rare.

The manning would come directly from the present Yorktown PD. They would all become part of the WCPD. The only change would be Yorktown PD would become a precinct.

What additional training would be needed? The present Yorktown cops would stay right where they are, just change patches.

will never happen

Don't say never; we said that in Pawling and guess what?? They disbanded the police department on us and now we have county sheriffs patrolling.

Don't say never; we said that in Pawling and guess what?? They disbanded the police department on us and now we have county sheriffs patrolling.

Yea but thats a little different, disbanding a police dept. in a town with alot of open rural area and not a very large population or crime rate. Yorktown is a rather densly populated, town within a not so big space.... Not to mention im sure the crime rate is probably higher than Pawlings ever could be. According to the 2000 census, found here-

http://censtats.census.gov/pub/Profiles.shtml The town of Pawling contained 7521 as of 2000, which may have gone up or down since. The town of Yorktown, contained 36,318 residents, which has most likely gone up since. Something tells me the Yorktown PD officers just being able to "change patches" and move over to the WCPD force won't be very easy due to all the fiscal belt tightening, and it could very well take years to accumulate enough manpower to effectively police such an area. Just my 2 cents

Edited by EFFP411

Let's not discount anything as a possibility (Putnam Valley PD, Cortlandt PD, Pawling PD, etc.). The Town Supervisor is doing his job - to investigate things that would save town taxpayers money. Nobody is saying that it is a done deal or that it will happen overnight. Who knows, they may come back from doing the research and find that it wouldn't be the best thing for the town or the County.

Many of the Yorktown officers could be absorbed by the County PD, vehicles and equipment maintained (at least during the transition), dispatch services handled by the County PD, and administrative, record keeping, property, investigative services, etc. all handled centrally to make this more cost effective.

I don't know what you mean about "much more manning would be needed" - a cop is a cop. If Yorktown put out four or five cars and the County agrees to do the same there would be no reduction of service. In fact, there would be an improvement - the County can draw upon many more resources faster than the town in an emergency.

As for waiting for back-up on parkway traffic stops - one of the reasons for that is the illogical and outdated method of policing in Westchester County. One of cars could be sitting on the Hutch with a New Rochelle car, Harrison car, and Mamaroneck car all within one mile or one minute but the County sends a County car which could be coming from the Airport or Yonkers. With a County PD or at least regionalized communications the closest car could be dispatched eliminating the delay and distance problems.

Something tells me the Yorktown PD officers just being able to "change patches" and move over to the WCPD force won't be very easy due to all the fiscal belt tightening, and it could very well take years to accumulate enough manpower to effectively police such an area. Just my 2 cents

I don't know where you get your information but when both Cortlandt and Putnam Valley were disbanded, their officers transfered to other jobs. Fiscal belt tightening is an issue but this is an example of consolidation to save money. Why couldn't it work?

That's one Town that should have it's own police force, no exceptions!

Hence the reason for 59 fire departments, 43 police departments, 40 or 50 odd EMS agencies, and 50 plus school districts in the County. THAT'S why taxes are so high! No exception, huh? Did you say the same thing about Cortlandt or Putnam Valley? Look what happened there.

Think about this - a major incident happens in Yorktown (not an impossibility), the Yorktown units respond, are backed up by other County units on duty, Yorktown detectives start investigating and are backed up by the full strength of the County Detective Division - more detectives, crime scene/forensics, etc. Definitely gives the Yorktown crime victim more bang for their buck.

Criminals don't pay attention to muncipal borders. The idea that Yorktown couldn't be well served by the County PD is absurd. To say that it would be better or more cost effective remains to be seen but economies of scale would suggest it will realize some savings.

Now if we could just consolidate or merge all the duplicative village PD's into their respective towns we'd be on a roll. Instead of 43 PD's there would only be 20 something. THAT is a start!

I don't see why we can't consolidate ALL the different police and fire departments into one. The people will complain about the lack of 'community policing, knowing your police officers', but I bet they'll be far happier with the 1000 dollar smaller tax bill they'll get. The many fiefdoms of Westchester lead to confusion on so many levels that the consolidation idea MUST be explored again. Yes, we can roll Yonkers and Mount Vernon and White Plains into a Countywide system. Will be it easy? No. Will it be cost effective and safer for everyone in the long run? Yes.

WHAT?!

That's insane, look how busy and how big the County of Westchester is. That's one County that should have it's own police force, no exceptions!

I remember an advertising class that asked if you switched just 1 key concept how would it play (i.e. ford comercials video with GM audio) they are interchangable.

You mean like this:

WHAT?!

That's insane, look how busy and how big the County of Westchester is. That's one County that should have it's own fire department, no exceptions!

OK I admit it, I knew that would stir the pot but as it is a frequent topic on here I couldn't help myself.

Keep the same # of officers on the street and wear the same patch. Consolidate resources and trim the fat... makes perfect sense. Can you trust the County to keep that police presence in your town five years from now? That's really the only thing that would concern me if I lived there.

Yea but thats a little different, disbanding a police dept. in a town with alot of open rural area and not a very large population or crime rate. Yorktown is a rather densly populated, town within a not so big space.... Not to mention im sure the crime rate is probably higher than Pawlings ever could be. According to the 2000 census, found here-

http://censtats.census.gov/pub/Profiles.shtml The town of Pawling contained 7521 as of 2000, which may have gone up or down since. The town of Yorktown, contained 36,318 residents, which has most likely gone up since. Something tells me the Yorktown PD officers just being able to "change patches" and move over to the WCPD force won't be very easy due to all the fiscal belt tightening, and it could very well take years to accumulate enough manpower to effectively police such an area. Just my 2 cents

Maybe 10 years ago when the economy was a little better that might hold true; but in this age of cost cutting, communities are exploring every possible way of consolidating or disbanding services that they don't feel are necessary or those that can be either subcontracted out privately or perhaps as discussed in these threads; regionalizing services into at least towns.

Let's not discount anything as a possibility (Putnam Valley PD, Cortlandt PD, Pawling PD, etc.). The Town Supervisor is doing his job - to investigate things that would save town taxpayers money. Nobody is saying that it is a done deal or that it will happen overnight. Who knows, they may come back from doing the research and find that it wouldn't be the best thing for the town or the County.

Many of the Yorktown officers could be absorbed by the County PD, vehicles and equipment maintained (at least during the transition), dispatch services handled by the County PD, and administrative, record keeping, property, investigative services, etc. all handled centrally to make this more cost effective.

I don't know what you mean about "much more manning would be needed" - a cop is a cop. If Yorktown put out four or five cars and the County agrees to do the same there would be no reduction of service. In fact, there would be an improvement - the County can draw upon many more resources faster than the town in an emergency.

As for waiting for back-up on parkway traffic stops - one of the reasons for that is the illogical and outdated method of policing in Westchester County. One of cars could be sitting on the Hutch with a New Rochelle car, Harrison car, and Mamaroneck car all within one mile or one minute but the County sends a County car which could be coming from the Airport or Yonkers. With a County PD or at least regionalized communications the closest car could be dispatched eliminating the delay and distance problems.

I don't know where you get your information but when both Cortlandt and Putnam Valley were disbanded, their officers transfered to other jobs. Fiscal belt tightening is an issue but this is an example of consolidation to save money. Why couldn't it work?

Hence the reason for 59 fire departments, 43 police departments, 40 or 50 odd EMS agencies, and 50 plus school districts in the County. THAT'S why taxes are so high! No exception, huh? Did you say the same thing about Cortlandt or Putnam Valley? Look what happened there.

Think about this - a major incident happens in Yorktown (not an impossibility), the Yorktown units respond, are backed up by other County units on duty, Yorktown detectives start investigating and are backed up by the full strength of the County Detective Division - more detectives, crime scene/forensics, etc. Definitely gives the Yorktown crime victim more bang for their buck.

Criminals don't pay attention to muncipal borders. The idea that Yorktown couldn't be well served by the County PD is absurd. To say that it would be better or more cost effective remains to be seen but economies of scale would suggest it will realize some savings.

Now if we could just consolidate or merge all the duplicative village PD's into their respective towns we'd be on a roll. Instead of 43 PD's there would only be 20 something. THAT is a start!

AMEN!

Keep the same # of officers on the street and wear the same patch. Consolidate resources and trim the fat... makes perfect sense. Can you trust the County to keep that police presence in your town five years from now? That's really the only thing that would concern me if I lived there.

Can you trust the town to do that? There are no guarantees in life.

Can you trust the town to do that? There are no guarantees in life.

Very true. It might have unconsciously come from the "devil you know vs. the devil you don't know" perspective.

The County could, re-allocate their resources elsewhere and claim it is, "in the best interest of the county."

Local Govt. gives the appearance that they are more accountable because they are closer; and you as an individual carry more influence.

Just because it seems that way; doesn't make it so. Bottom line... I think you are right though.

Very true. It might have unconsciously come from the "devil you know vs. the devil you don't know" perspective.

The County could, re-allocate their resources elsewhere and claim it is, "in the best interest of the county."

Local Govt. gives the appearance that they are more accountable because they are closer; and you as an individual carry more influence.

Just because it seems that way; doesn't make it so. Bottom line... I think you are right though.

True but I can't imagine that the Town would simply abdicate all their responsibility to their constituents. There would have to be some sort of accountability to insure that they provide the proper level of service to the Town.

Although I strongly believe that Police coverage in Westchester is very redundant in some places and could benefit from consolidation, I think that many of the Yorktown cops are from Yorktown and know the town well. It's not an easy area to patrol, and I think Yorktown PD does a great job.

Although I strongly believe that Police coverage in Westchester is very redundant in some places and could benefit from consolidation

Not to change the area but lets look at Dutchess. On RT9 from 84 north to the Poughkeepsie Galleria you have 5 different Police agencies covering that stretch of roadway. Fishkill, Wappingers, Town of Poughkeepsie, NYS Police and Dutchess County Sheriffs.

no one is saying that they don't do a great job. The issue is cost. Can they get adequate coverage for less money by contracting with Country PD?

Lets say hypothetically that YPD was 'eliminated' (made into a WCPD precinct). What would happen to the officers with rank? Those ranks wouldn't transfer as well correct? That'd be an ugly situation IMO.

Edited by DonMoose