Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mymack1

Westchester County Police Communications Project

52 posts in this topic

Just looking through Capital Project budget for Westchester County and came across.

Communications room and Equipment upgrade $3,700,000 for the Westchester County Department of Public Safety.

Anyone have information?

Thats great and all, but i would like to see a few million spent on 60 control and an effort to start bringing everything under one umbrella (at least FD & EMS).

Just looking through Capital Project budget for Westchester County and came across.

Communications room and Equipment upgrade $3,700,000 for the Westchester County Department of Public Safety.

Anyone have information?

They are in the process of rebuilding that whole area of the building and building a new room for communications. I am nto sure what else they are doing.

Thats great and all, but i would like to see a few million spent on 60 control and an effort to start bringing everything under one umbrella (at least FD & EMS).

It has and all FD's and EMS agencies who want to be there, are !

It has and all FD's and EMS agencies who want to be there, are !

Thats the problem. ALL EMS and Fire should be dispatched by 60. Period.

Goose I think if that's how you feel you should start a different disscussion this is not a 60 control disscussion thread

Edited by Mofire24

From a logistical standpoint, all County communications should be under one roof, even if it is different agencies, like we have here in Austin.

I know 60 Control needs a new center too, and there's plenty of space to be had on the Grasslands reservation, so in my eyes, this is a no duh to combine both agencies under one roof, but again it's Westchester County.

Take a look at this:

City of Austin

How do six agencies‐Austin Police, Austin Fire,

Austin‐Travis County EMS, Travis County Sheriff, Austin DOT and

Airport‐, and Capitol Metro Bus, with unique service needs, but who share a common

interest in protecting public safety eliminate operational and

disparate barriers achieve interoperability? Strong commitment

and innovative technology make it all possible.

FULL STORY AND PHOTOS: http://www.tritech.com/TriTech-Docs/CaseSt...seStudy_09.aspx

(with, of course, a backup center)

From a logistical standpoint, all County communications should be under one roof, even if it is different agencies, like we have here in Austin.

I know 60 Control needs a new center too, and there's plenty of space to be had on the Grasslands reservation, so in my eyes, this is a no duh to combine both agencies under one roof, but again it's Westchester County.

Take a look at this:

FULL STORY AND PHOTOS: http://www.tritech.com/TriTech-Docs/CaseSt...seStudy_09.aspx

(with, of course, a backup center)

.....including a central 911 answering center ?

.....including a central 911 answering center ?

Yes. 1 PSAP. New York City which sees millions more requests for service than Westchester County has 1 PSAP, why do we need in excess of 40?

Yes. 1 PSAP. New York City which sees millions more requests for service than Westchester County has 1 PSAP, why do we need in excess of 40?

nyc has 1 pd, 1 fd and 1 ems.....if Westchester had 1 PSAP how could we keep over 100 agencies and all those chiefs

nyc has 1 pd, 1 fd and 1 ems.....if Westchester had 1 PSAP how could we keep over 100 agencies and all those chiefs

They do it in Monroe County. When I worked in Rochester we had one PSAP for fire, police and EMS that served the city of Rochester and the surrounding towns in the county. According to their website they currently serve 84 different agencies and take over 1.2 million calls/year. If it could be done upstate over a decade ago, there is no reason why it can't be done in Westchester today.

http://www.cityofrochester.gov/911/

They do it in Monroe County. When I worked in Rochester we had one PSAP for fire, police and EMS that served the city of Rochester and the surrounding towns in the county. According to their website they currently serve 84 different agencies and take over 1.2 million calls/year. If it could be done upstate over a decade ago, there is no reason why it can't be done in Westchester today.

http://www.cityofrochester.gov/911/

Good point.

I was just curious of the scope of the project and if it has been completed. I have seen it every year in the Westchester County Department of Public Safety Budget.

From what i understand, Westchester County Police has 9 transmit sites to cover the entire County. Just hope the Communications Operator at the County Police get the best equipment just like 60 Control.

Not for long. Now NYC has like 2 1/2 PSAPs slowly being beaten into one.

What if we offer one location and 100 different phone numbers?

Just to answer the question Yes. The Westchester County Communications Center has not been upgraded in probably close to 30 years, unlike 60 control. The radio room is currently being moved to another part of the building and completely redone with all new equipment. The finish date has not been determined however should be in a few months, by the end of year for sure. Also included was new radio's for all Police Officers and all Police cars. All 10 towers where also updated.

Thank you Scod601.

Has there been improvement with the 10 towers being updated? Do you have information on what type of furniture is being installed in the Communications Center?

I think they are getting it all from Bob's discount furniture

Yes mymack1, there has been major improvements in the radios since the towers where updated. I do not have the details of the furniture as of yet there where some problems with the ordering but as soon as I know I will advise you.

I just don't understand why County Police communications and County Fire/EMS operations can't share a single infastructure.

Seth

It's too busy on both sides it just wouldnt work. If you share infustructures how would you set it up who would get priority if there is a fire or a pursuit or another situation going on. You worked in both places you see how it can be busy on all 3 sides Police,fire and ems. Another thing that would come into play is who would you answer too the fire supervisors or police supervisors.

Seth

It's too busy on both sides it just wouldnt work. If you share infustructures how would you set it up who would get priority if there is a fire or a pursuit or another situation going on. You worked in both places you see how it can be busy on all 3 sides Police,fire and ems. Another thing that would come into play is who would you answer too the fire supervisors or police supervisors.

I think he is talking about one facility with seperate agencies like the one he linked to in Austin below.

http://www.tritech.com/TriTech-Docs/CaseSt...seStudy_09.aspx

Edited by EM2FD

I just don't understand why County Police communications and County Fire/EMS operations can't share a single infastructure.

Because like you said earlier, its Westchester County.

Seth

Build one big building and have one floor PD dispatch, another floor FD & EMS dispatch.

You mean Police Chiefs....It's not the Fire dept.s fault..it's all the individual Police departments that are their own PSAP's....I may be wrong but what Fire department in Westchester is not with 60 control and has their own dispatcher and PSAP?

Share the same building ok, but keep the fire dispatchers doing fire and the PD doing PD. This is what is causing the FDNY problems, talk to anyone who wants to give you an honest answer.

Interoperability

Is a joke. Great idea but from practicality it will not happen in our lifetime

You mean Police Chiefs....It's not the Fire dept.s fault..it's all the individual Police departments that are their own PSAP's....I may be wrong but what Fire department in Westchester is not with 60 control and has their own dispatcher and PSAP?

Fire Departments NOT dispatched by 60 Control:

Briarcliff Manor

Dobbs Ferry

Elmsford

Fairview

Hartsdale

Hastings

Irvington

Larchmont

Mount Vernon

Ossining

Scarsdale

Somers

Tarrytown

White Plains

Yonkers

Montrose VA

Not 100% sure here, but I'm bored and will take a stab at it.... Please feel free to correct me!

Police PSAPs

Ardsley PD

Bedford PD

Briarcliff Manor PD

Bronxville PD

Buchanan PD (Done by Peekskill PD)

Croton PD

Dobbs Ferry PD

Eastchester PD

Elmsford PD

Greenburgh PD

Harrison PD

Hastings PD

Irvington PD

Larchmont PD

Mamaroneck Town PD

Mamaroneck Village PD

Mount Kisco PD

Mount Pleasant PD

Mount Vernon PD

New Castle PD

New Rochelle PD

New York State Police (Cortlandt, Hawthorne, Lewisboro, Pound Ridge, Somers) (All done at TMC)

North Castle PD

Ossining Town PD

Ossining Village PD

Peekskill PD

Pelham PD

Pelham Manor PD

Pleasantville PD

Port Chester PD

Rye PD

Rye Brook PD

Scarsdale PD

Sleepy Hollow PD