Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Firefighting '80s style

82 posts in this topic

Great Pictures... I love the old American Lafrance Engines and Ladders!

Edited by x134

Thanks for the kind words

Whoa....just realized....it's YOU! :)

Wow, did you do some great work. Thank YOU.

Mike continues, Page-10 now up...........

http://fdnysbravest.com/page10.htm

These are some of the Best Photos (www.fdnysbravest.com and doyleimages )out there. And don't forget about "r1smokeaters" videos on his site. We are very lucky to have these people who have taken the time to preserve this most histoic time in the Fire Service for us.

Thank You Gentlemen.

Edited by nfd2004

Are these Harry Doyles shots??Scratch that, I just looked. Harry was my instructor when I was a probie. I worked with him a few times when I was a dispatcher, and he was my boss a couple of times before he retired. Haven't seen him since he packed it in.

Edited by JBE

No, I don't think so George. I did see some familiar faces, and some more familiar rigs from Harry's shots.

Edited by JBE

Check out Chief of Operations Bill Feehan from Mr Doyle's website:

http://doyleimages.smugmug.com/FDNY/2nd-alarm-Flushing-Queens/11706548_PuZAK#826088792_Lj95C

The Chief of Operations gets up on the roof in one photo. Do they make them like that anymore?

They were "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters" to ever live. They grew up during the Great Depression, Most fought in WWII, Came back to build America, and Fought the Fires during the Busiest time in History.

And as for your question as to "Do they make them like that anymore" ? I say; "That mold has been broken".

x129K and efdcapt115 like this

And half the stuff they did back then would never be tolerated today.

And half the stuff they did back then would never be tolerated today.

That is a shame. The guys back then were 'super star Firemen'. They did more fire duty then any of us could even imagine. Many of them were veterans of WW II, Korea and Vietnam. They had a tremendous work ethic and they put fear in their back pocket while they went about the job of saving lives.

While much has been done over the years in the name of 'Firefighter safety', there are some parts of firefighting that can't be inherently safe if we are to be effective in our life saving mission. Many fire chiefs are so paranoid today that they don't let Firefighters do what they are trained and sworn to do, "Protect lives and property". I'm sure there will be some who will remind me that Firefighter's lives count too, and I couldn't agree more. But, there is always a risk when we crawl into a burning building, and that is exactly what we must do if we are to be successful in saving lives and stopping fire spread and subsequently extinguishing the fire. The safety part comes in by us knowing things like:

building construction

size up

what parts of the structure are being impinged upon by the fire?

how long has it been burning?

what size hose line(s)is / are required?

what is the proper nozzle pressure for the type of nozzle being used?

the importance of getting the right flow of water going quickly and getting it into the seat of the fire.

where and when to vent?

how to find your way in and out

having multiple means of egress in case the stuff hits the fan (lot's of ladders!)

how to look at smoke and get a good idea of what's going on with the fire.

There's more, but it's time to get moving for now...

Stay safe.

efdcapt115 and firefighter59 like this

Check out Chief of Operations Bill Feehan from Mr Doyle's website:

http://doyleimages.s...826088792_Lj95C

The Chief of Operations gets up on the roof in one photo. Do they make them like that anymore?

Pic #12 in that group of photos is a CLASSIC!!!!........A city cop helping the Field Comm Lt. lift the Field Comm command board over some line............Something you would NEVER see today...........

Pic #12 in that group of photos is a CLASSIC!!!!........A city cop helping the Field Comm Lt. lift the Field Comm command board over some line............Something you would NEVER see today...........

You didn't see pic #11 where the Lt is slipping the cop a "fin"? Something else you'd never see today!!!!!!!!!! Disclaimer: Just teasin' our brothers in LE :D

Question...on Page 11, there's a picture of E324. Are those roll-up doors or are they just pained? It is hard to tell from the picture.

Side not: I've said it before, but wow! These pictures are amazing.

Question...on Page 11, there's a picture of E324. Are those roll-up doors or are they just pained? It is hard to tell from the picture.

Side not: I've said it before, but wow! These pictures are amazing.

Mike, I think those are swing-up doors on top. Opened from the bottom, outward and up. Had little struts on them to keep them open.

You are quite Welcome George. Mike sure has some Great Photos from the Bronx and Harlem during the 1980s. "He sure is one Tough Act to follow". For those who don't know, Mike had special permission from the FDNY to ride with the units at "The Harlem Hilton" (Eng 69, Lad 28, and Batt 16). He might have rode with a few other companies also. I'm just glad that he was able to record these Historic Moments. Thanks Mike, and Thanks George for posting this.

efdcapt115 likes this