Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Thunderstorm 8/10/09

30 posts in this topic

I happen to try takeing shots of lighning tonight and did manage to get 1 half way decent shot. I had to adjust the brightness to be able to see a few bolts dancing around.

post-3712-1249965219.jpg

I must say, tonight was an awesome display, the likes of which I have not seen in years. I find the cloud-to-cloud lightning that stretches across the entire sky to be awe striking!

Did westchester county get any rain,hail out of this??? here in the bronx all i got was a really bright light show with no precip.

we got allot of heavy rain in Croton, as E119 was responding to a lightning strike, making a turn up into a street, I could feel the front tires " FLOATING " up the new creek...

From my residence in Buchanan, the storm was unreal. Lightning show better then Macy's 4th of July fireworks display and incredible thunder. While on my porch I heard a loud clap of thunder and it looked like lightning struck something, 5mins. later Buchanan with TriVillage response. Since I knew it was close I took a ride, and got to observe BFD knocking down a shed fire, good job to BFD the homeowner was fortunate that it didnt strike their house. Crazy storms I tell ya!!!

Unfortunately I was unable to photograph last nights storm as I was working overtime. It was certainly an amazing storm and I am pissed I missed it. Lightning was insane to say the least.

Photographing lightning is not any easy task. There are several ways to do it. Having a tripod definitely helps. Every storm is different and depending upon how close the lightning strikes are, how frequent they are, and how bright they are, that will determine what settings you should use.

This photo was taken at Memorial Park in Nyack overlooking the Hudson River & the Tappan Zee Bridge on Sunday night July 26th. It is a 2 second exposure at I believe f5.6.

DSC_6344.jpg

The crew from Ball Pond Fire was watching the lighting hitting down by Putnam from a road overlooking Ball Pond on our way back from drill, pretty impressive stuff. Windy as hell, a bit of rain, but no real show for New Fairfield.

Cos Cob responded to a house fire (minor with little extension) and several trees and wires down. Still about 1,000 people without powerin Greenwich. Trees down everywhere. Worst hit was central Greenwich. As Ollie Williams would say. It's rainin' sideways!

Nice picture Rockland Fires. I used a tripod last night

GREAT shots, guys!!!! Truly very impressive!!!

GREAT shots, guys!!!! Truly very impressive!!!

Greenwich had the worst of all. As an above post said, a structure fire, trees/wired down. But Greenwich Fd has to stop all train traffic in and coming out of Greenwich due to a leak in a tank of propane near the tracks. Command post was set up and evacuation took place surrounding the tracks. Definitely a bad storm!!!

I was watching quite the light show last night in my driveway at about 9:30 in Trumbull. That was one of the most intense lightning shows I have ever seen. It never got too bad here, just the lightning and some rain, it was cool though!

I also took some shots of the lightning strikes. Didn't get pics of any strikes, but check out the following pics, how the strikes lit up the apartment complex across the street from my house. This was my first try at taking pics of lightning. I just hand held the camera steady on the windowsill and manually shot the pics.

This picture shows how it normally looks at night, although there is a strike in the distance.

post-27-1250043330.jpg

This picture is lit up from a strike in the distance, unknown how far, I was really just try to snap pics, and not concerned about anything else at the time.

post-27-1250043367.jpg

This last one was actually taken in between the first and second, but for effect I placed it last to show how bright a nearby strike lit the area. All pictures were taken between approximately 8:55P and 9:10P when we got toned out for a reported lightning strike in the complex in the pictures. I had to drive right past this complex to go get the Engine. We were returned approximately 9:30P.

post-27-1250043377.jpg

Keep trying, you will get a good one 1 of these days. A few more of my captures !

Aruba.jpg

My honeymoon in Aruba 10/01/07

DSC_3717.jpg

Nasty storm outside my hotel in Weatherford, Texas 05/26/09

DSC_2127.jpg

Storm near Bennett, Colorado 05/22/09

I was watching quite the light show last night in my driveway at about 9:30 in Trumbull. That was one of the most intense lightning shows I have ever seen. It never got too bad here, just the lightning and some rain, it was cool though!

nice shots steve and wasnt that the apartment complex that we responded to that got struck by lightning?

nice shots steve and wasnt that the apartment complex that we responded to that got struck by lightning?

No, these are the ones with the entrance off of Wolden Road. The one we went to is directly West of this, to the left of the left building in the picture.

Nice shots guys, but if you're serious about trying to photograph lightning you might want to try one of these:

http://www.lightningtrigger.com/

Mike

WOW! Lightning Trigger = $329.00 !

I'm interested but it's a big price tag for such a limited use device. Do you have one of these, Mike? If so, what do you think of it? Thanks,

Tom

I'm interested but it's a big price tag for such a limited use device. Do you have one of these, Mike? If so, what do you think of it? Thanks,

Tom

Not yet Tom, but it is on my shopping list - I know people who have used it and speak highly of it.

Mike

Tom

I have owned a Lightning Trigger for about 5 years now. Keep it in my camera bag with me at all times [except in the winter]. If you price it out over a few years it is worth it. Just look at a few of the images I have posted !

DSC_4860.jpg

Yes, that's me in the photo, was hoping for a bigger bolt behind me

editA.jpg

Another photo from my honeymoon in Aruba

Lightning1.jpg

Another photo taken from Memorial Park in Nyack looking out over the Hudson River & Tappan Zee Bridge

Anyone go out and shoot during last nights storm ? Here are a few photos I took as the storm crossed the Hudson River from NJ into Westchester. Not even a drop of rain in Rockland !

DSC_6680.jpg

DSC_6705.jpg

DSC_6733.jpg

DSC_6762.jpg

DSC_6833.jpg

Nice shots guys...... The Lightning trigger has been on my short list for years and I just never bought one..... Then I keep saying that I'm going to build one and I don't....... One of these days I'll do one or the other....... The thing that keeps me from buying it is that we really don't get the type of storm you need to get good shots...... One with little or no rain and lots of lightning...... The type of storm we get around here usually has a lot of rain along with the lightning which lessens the chance of getting some good shots....... The last good storm we had was unusual...... Check out the link below if you want to see some awesome shots of the last storm in NYC........ Makes me want to buy the trigger......

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=32720355

Edited by Photounit

Your right about the rain part. Where I shoot at Memorial Park there is a gazebo that I set up under when it is raining. If it's not raining, or stops, I go closer to the water. Ya gotta find a place that has cover !