Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

Need a list of combo depts. in Westchester

20 posts in this topic

Can anybody provide me with a list of combo (paid & volunteer) departments in Westchester County.

Can anybody provide me with a list of combo (paid & volunteer) departments in Westchester County.

Pelham Manor, Pelham, Larchmont, Town of Mamaroneck, Harrison, City of Rye, Port Chester, Greenburgh/Hartsdale/Fairview have some semblance of volunteers. On paper I believe Eastchester and Scarsdale are still combo, not sure of volunteer activity.

I hate to ask why you want this information...

Westchester "Combination" Departments

Eastchester

Fairview

Greenville

Harrison

Hartsdale

Larchmont

Mamaroneck Town

Lake Mohegan

Peekskill

Pelham

Pelham Manor

Port Chester

Rye

Scarsdale

what about RYE Brook?

Rye Brook is a fully career FD from 0700-1900. They are covered by Port Chester FD the remainder of the time.

Rye Brook is a fully career FD from 0700-1900. They are covered by Port Chester FD the remainder of the time.

They are covered by Port Chester all the time 24/7 , not a bad thing just a fact.

The reason I need this info is because I do property insurance surveys in Westchester. One of the questions that is asked on the survey is what type of FD responds to the property.

Edited by Steve

When you consider "Combination" Departments, you need to also identify if they are primary volunteer or primary career. sometimes that is hard to do -

Eastchester - Primary career, since they no longer allow volunteers to respond to scenes

Fairview - Primary career

Greenville - Primary career

Harrison - Primary career

Hartsdale - Primary volunteer

Larchmont - Primary career

Mamaroneck Town - Primary volunteer

Lake Mohegan - Primary volunteer

Peekskill - Primary volunteer

Pelham - tough to call, the dept would consider itself Primary volunteer 50 or so volunteers & 16 career, however they average more career responders than volunteers on calls.

Pelham Manor - Primary volunteer

Port Chester - Primary volunteer

Rye - Primary volunteer

Scarsdal - Primary career (SFD has a very active vol. group, but the only get paged to confirmed jobs) so most everything is covered by career.

I would consider Rye primary career.

Barry,

you spoke of Eastchester as being primarily career because the volunteers no longer respond(since oct 2007) Eastchester has been primarily career for 30-35+ years.

Barry,

you spoke of Eastchester as being primarily career because the volunteers no longer respond(since oct 2007) Eastchester has been primarily career for 30-35+ years.

Agreed, I should have said the no longer response ment that you really are no longer combo

The reason I need this info is because I do property insurance surveys in Westchester. One of the questions that is asked on the survey is what type of FD responds to the property.

Rather than simply finding out the career/volunteer status, wouldn't it be more informative to find out which one's are NFPA compliant and respond with the 12+1 (career) or 36+1 (volunteer) as recommended by the standard (that is the standard right, bnechis?)?

Personally, I don't think that a 'career response' is an impressive distinction when the engine and/or ladder are only staffed by 1-2 FF. Likewise, a VFD showing up with only 3-4 interior FF during the day is equally unimpressive.

Rather than simply finding out the career/volunteer status, wouldn't it be more informative to find out which one's are NFPA compliant and respond with the 12+1 (career) or 36+1 (volunteer) as recommended by the standard (that is the standard right, bnechis?)?

Not exactly.

ISO requires the 12+1 (career) or 36+1 (volunteer) response. Combo depts. use the 36+1 and count each career ff as 3.

NFPA 1710 requires career and combo depts that are primary career to respond with a minimum of 16 members (the 3 additional over ISO are for FAST & Accountability) for 2,000 sq. ft. or smaller structures without basements.

NFPA 1720 requires volunteer and combo depts that are primary volunteer respond with enough members to "safely enter" and they must perform an assessment of personnel and tasks that must be done to perform at a fire. i.e

Incident Commander* 1 off

Chiefs Aid 1 ff

Pump Operator 1 ff

Attack & Backup Lines 4 ff

Line Support/Hydrant etc. 2 ff

SAR Team 2 ff

Vent Team 2 ff

Aerial Operator 1 ff

IRIC Team 2 ff

Total 16ff

In reality most consider 4 for a vent team (2 roof) (2 outside)

4-6 for search (fire floor & floor above)

2-4 FF's added to the IRIC to make it a FAST

1 Safety Officer

Also VFD's most consider how many of these positions must be handled by Interior qualified personnel. by my count only 4 of the 16 could be external only (includes the chiefs & aid, pump operator and aerial operator)

When you consider "Combination" Departments, you need to also identify if they are primary volunteer or primary career. sometimes that is hard to do -

Eastchester - Primary career, since they no longer allow volunteers to respond to scenes

Fairview - Primary career

Greenville - Primary career

Harrison - Primary career

Hartsdale - Primary volunteer

Larchmont - Primary career

Mamaroneck Town - Primary volunteer

Lake Mohegan - Primary volunteer

Peekskill - Primary volunteer

Pelham - tough to call, the dept would consider itself Primary volunteer 50 or so volunteers & 16 career, however they average more career responders than volunteers on calls.

Pelham Manor - Primary volunteer

Port Chester - Primary volunteer

Rye - Primary volunteer

Scarsdal - Primary career (SFD has a very active vol. group, but the only get paged to confirmed jobs) so most everything is covered by career.

you mixed up hartsdale & harrison