Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markmets415

Wassaic Fire Company Chaplain Sonny Cohen

18 posts in this topic

It is with deep regret that I announce the passing of our beloved Chaplain Sonny Cohen on Tuesday August 18, 2009.

post-16297-1250684328.jpg

Sonny was not only our Chaplain but Fire Police Captain and a member of the Board of Directors. Sonny also just retired from being a fire commissioner for the Wassaic Fire District in January. Sonny is well known all over NYS, he has attended so many conferences on fire police, chaplain roles, fire investigation and on and on, he has the thickest training folder at the station. :)

He has been an active member of the fire service for many many years serving in Putnam and Dutchess Counties on the fire police response teams and as a photographer for the Dutchess County Fire Investigation Team. I could go on forever about his great man, he will surely be missed by all of us.

Amen Brother Cohen, our closing prayer will never be the same, but it is your time to rest in peace. Thank You Sonny and to everyone that has already contacted us.

Services will be held on Thursday August 20, 2009 from 5pm to 9pm at the Hufcut Funeral Home is Dover Plains, with firematic service @ 7pm. Church services will be held at the St. Bernard's Church on New St. in Sharon, Ct on Friday August 21, 2009 @ 10am.

RIP Sonny

May he rest in peace..Take up, Sonny. You dun good.

May he rest in peace...condolences to Sonny's family and friends!

Sonny will be greatly missed. He was a great asset to our fire company and most importantly a true caring induvidual. May you rest in peace sonny, you will never be forgotten.

Jason

What a wonderful man he was! May he be at home with his Lord.

Very saddened to hear of Sonny Cohen's passing. Having known him through the various county associations that we mutually belonged to, Sonny was the consumate gentleman and a person who was genuinely dedicated to the fire service. His shoes will be very tough to fill. May he rest in everlasting peace.

Edited by gamewell45

I have been to countless affairs involving Sonny, from fire police details, to wakes and funerals, and I was never dissapointed.

I am truly saddened to have heard the news yesterday, RIP Israel Sonny Cohen.

Edited by FiftyOnePride

Sonny, you and your kindness will never be forgotten.

My deepest sympathies to Sonny's family and the Wassiac Fire Company.

Rest in peace Sonny.

Rest in Peace, Sonny.

As a firehouse brat I have meet hundreds of firefighters. But Sonny was special and one of guys that I always remembered. Not only did he put in the time but the miles also.He would come back to Lake Carmel to help out with a wake then drive home to Wassic late in the evening without even thinking about it. As a lot of people know his health wasn't the best but he would do more than some of our younger members without a complaint He truly was an example for everybody in the fire service to admire Rest in Peace Sonny you earned it old friend- Ex Chief Robbie Shannon LCFD

Here is a link provided from the Putnam and Northern Westchester Fire Police Association, it's a tribute page to Sonny. Thanks to all that attended his services and helped us out during this tough time, it is greatly appreciated.

Mark Christiansen, 69-3

http://www.pnwfpa.org/photo_album/cohen_tribute/cohen_tribute.html

This picture gives me chills....one of the best ever...featuring some of the best ever.

cohen_12.jpg