Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ossining 1995 Main Street - Structure Fire

17 posts in this topic

The blaze from 1995 that destroyed 4 buildings on Main st in Ossining.

post-18173-1251578006.jpg

Great fire photo, terrible fire, I remember this one; lived in Ossining in the mid-seventies so it caught my eye when it burned years later. Ossining High School up the hill there. Brings back a lot of memories. Nice town.

If I remember correctly that was the moment the building flashed. The reason you see hose lines but few firefighters is that there were crews inside the building and several others outside when it happened.

yeah i was a kid when this place burned up. I watched video that someone took of it happening and it looked nasty the whole way through.

Definetly a BIG fire, the picture is just after a flashover I believe the galss was all over TL-38 which was IFO that store. I had the roof with a crew from Croton, there was a huge amount of mutual aid on this fire. A great job was done by all on scene. Croton had engine 120 and ladder 44 on scene.

Photo By N.Jowitt - Permission for EMTBravo. More to follow.....

Initial interior attack was a 2-1/2 line from Cataract Hose Engine 97 - heavy fire in the walls , occupants stated they heard poping and cracking noise all morning in the floors and walls , later smelled smoke. Called Fire Department at that time.

post-23-1251656988.jpg

Got any more pics?

post-23-1251998473.jpg

post-23-1252037725.jpg

Nice pictures the last two are Croton's ladder 44 in the foreground, my assignment that day.

Edited by xchief2x

I remember watching this fire from Croton, standing by with 121 at Washington Engine.

post-23-0-81037700-1302405419.jpg

post-23-0-60713800-1302405449.jpg

post-23-0-29760000-1302405485.jpg

post-23-0-09103700-1302405531.jpg

Nice pics...what's interesting is there is not one Tower Ladder working that fire, all straight sticks.

I remember this fire, it was a massive blaze. I live in Oss and Ladder 42 was right there. I know they called Croton and likely Sleepy for mutual aid that day. Does anyone remember the Lucy's Pizza fire? Talk about another major blaze. They had every Oss truck, Croton, Sleepy, Millwood, Chappaqua and I think Briarcliff. I could be wrong about B'cliff but I know the others were all on scene.

Great pics, thanks for posting them.

Looks like a hell of a fire!

Anyone know how long units were operating for?

Anyone know how long units were operating for?

I know I was sitting on a 2 1/2" line on the D exposure roof for most of eleven hours, and I got on scene about 45 minutes into the alarm.

Don Farrell told me he was on the initial attack and above when the building flashed.