Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Troopers: Another drunken, wrong-way driver on the Taconic

18 posts in this topic

Troopers: Another drunken, wrong-way driver on the Taconic

By Terence Corcoran • tcorcora@lohud.com • September 10, 2009

YORKTOWN – A drunken Bronx man drove the wrong way on the Taconic State Parkway last night, state police said today. He didn't crash, but the incident occurred less than two months after Diane Schuler's wrong-way Taconic drive killed herself and seven others.

In last night's incident, Gregorio Pena, 44, had a blood-alcohol level of 0.20 percent – more than twice the legal limit for driving while intoxicated – when trooper stopped him at 10:40 p.m. as he drove north in the southbound lanes of the Taconic, north of Baldwin Road, police said.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.lohud.com/article/20090910/NEWS...%20on%20Taconic

We need more Troopers. More police in general.

Stetched too thin and overworked...

What we need are TOUGHER laws! Maybe some of these offenders would think twice about getting behind the wheel!

How many more of these is it going to take??

Makes me sick!

what is wrong with people???

He is lucky he didnt do what that woman did.....

Why cant "ADULTS" act just a little bit more responsible?

I hope the judge in light of what has happened in the past throws the book at this guy!

How about also marking the Taconic's on and off ramps better than they are currently? How about making some other improvements to that highway????

Granted that yes the call for more troopers in necessary beyond a reason of a doubt and granted DWI drivers don't help at all (morons), that road needs to be brought up to 2010, not keep it when it was built in the 1950s!!!!! That is definately halpf of the problem. I've traveled that road many times and it is just plain horrible.

Wow, so now we are blaming the Police, the Judges, and everyone else for idiots that drive drunk? What happened on the Taconic was horrible, it is nobody's fault but the person driving!!

Charges upgraded against wrong-way Taconic driver

By Terence Corcoran • tcorcora@lohud.com • September 11, 2009

YORKTOWN — Charges were upgraded last night against a Bronx man accused of driving his livery cab the wrong way on the Taconic State Parkway while drunk.

Gregorio Pena, 44, was charged with aggravated driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor, when state police stopped him around 10:40 p.m. Wednesday after he drove north in the southbound lanes of the Taconic for about 1.8 miles.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20090911/NEWS...arkway%20driver

Edited by xfirefighter484x
Edited to Comply to EMTBravo Article Posting Requirements

I hope the judge in light of what has happened in the past throws the book at this guy!

You have gotten your wish. The DA's Office has added a felony charge of first degree reckless endangerment to the charges against him. But it's up to the Police and DA to file the charges, not the judge.

Link to story: http://www.lohud.com/article/2009909120339

How about also marking the Taconic's on and off ramps better than they are currently? How about making some other improvements to that highway????

Granted that yes the call for more troopers in necessary beyond a reason of a doubt and granted DWI drivers don't help at all (morons), that road needs to be brought up to 2010, not keep it when it was built in the 1950s!!!!! That is definately halpf of the problem. I've traveled that road many times and it is just plain horrible.

It was built in the 1920's (starting in 1923)

While it is clearly this idiots responsability. It seams to me that the TSP has a much higher number of incidents than other roads, maybe that means that signage may be an issue.

While it is clearly this idiots responsability. It seams to me that the TSP has a much higher number of incidents than other roads, maybe that means that signage may be an issue.

Is it me or does it seem like the number of drunk-driving incidents in general is rising?

Also, isn't it obvious, no matter what language you speak, that white lines are on your right, yellow on your left in this country?

Signs aren't to blame, drunks who don't know better then to not get behind the wheel ARE!

In the last two days I dealt with two drunk driver incidents - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH - LOCK ALL OF THEM UP!!!!

There are stretches of the Taconic that are more challenging to the average driver but the reality is that humans are to blame for the overwhelming majority of accidents and signage will have no impact on that. Speeding, following too closely, unsafe lane changes, and driving too fast for the road conditions must be the predominant factors responsible for most accidents on the parkway. Add alcohol or drugs and you've got a recipe for disaster.

When you consider how many drivers navigate the Taconic everyday and DON'T have accidents, it really highlights the fact that humans are the problem. Perhaps more education and enforcement would reduce the number of accidents in general and safety improvements to some of the notorious spots would help further.

Driving under the influence (alcohol or drugs) is most definitely a problem and it is getting far more attention lately. Unfortunately, public safety continues to shoulder the lion's share of budget cuts and personnel issues so doing more to apprehend them is going to be a problem. If the predictions about state pension programs suffering major losses due to the economy, the next few years are going to be extremely challenging for municipal budgets! Sadly I don't think the worst is behind us and there may be many more cutbacks and even more layoffs in our future.

Wow, so now we are blaming the Police, the Judges, and everyone else for idiots that drive drunk? What happened on the Taconic was horrible, it is nobody's fault but the person driving!!

Right, it's no one's fault but the person driving....so, no one is blaming anyone. Make the laws tougher!! Then, these people might, just might, think twice. Up the fines, throw them in jail. Hit them where it hurts.

Like another post on here, he is being hit with additional charges...GOOD! Just think, because he was driving drunk. No one was hurt, killed etc. That's the way it should be...just because they are driving drunk!

Right, it's no one's fault but the person driving....so, no one is blaming anyone. Make the laws tougher!! Then, these people might, just might, think twice. Up the fines, throw them in jail. Hit them where it hurts.

Do the Rockafeller Drug Laws Work?

Making the laws tougher has never changed the way humans behave. It makes politicians and the public feel good that we have "done something".

I am not saying dont go after this idiot, just we are all quick to say change the laws and all that appears to do is cost the public more in taxes.

How about lowering the blood achohol level even more and if cought they forfet the car and a large % of income for the next 10 years. Then we dont pay for punishment and rich or poor you are punished.

There are stretches of the Taconic that are more challenging to the average driver but the reality is that humans are to blame for the overwhelming majority of accidents and signage will have no impact on that.

While the Taconic has more challenges than other roads. Am I wrong or are there regular reports of wrong way incidents almost weekly. I do not hear the same for other parkways or interstates in Westchester. If this is true, then why is this road the one having the majority of wrong way incidents?

That was my reason for suggesting that signage MAY reduce the numbers. Clearly the real problem is convincing drivers not to drive when impaired.

While the Taconic has more challenges than other roads. Am I wrong or are there regular reports of wrong way incidents almost weekly. I do not hear the same for other parkways or interstates in Westchester. If this is true, then why is this road the one having the majority of wrong way incidents?

That was my reason for suggesting that signage MAY reduce the numbers. Clearly the real problem is convincing drivers not to drive when impaired.

I think there have been just as many on the Tappan Zee Bridge as the Taconic recently and the Schulman nightmare makes it far more newsworthy than previously. You may be right, I just don't think the signage is necessarily the issue.

Chevrons......the off ramps need rear facing chevrons to alert drivers they are going the wrong way......

Chevrons......the off ramps need rear facing chevrons to alert drivers they are going the wrong way......

All the signage and Chevrons in the world are not going to work for an impaired driver. It might help those that are simply not paying attention..