Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Brace yourselves - it isn't over by a longshot!

21 posts in this topic

Akron, OH is laying off 201 municipal employees including 96 police officers (about 25% of their force) and 38 firefighters.

Putnam County is laying off 22 and eliminating another 27 positions (through retirements and eliminating unfilled positions).

Pittsburgh, PA is laying off 102 police officers, eliminating their SWAT and mounted units, and recalling all officers assigned to multi-jurisdictional task forces. They will also close one police precinct.

Stockton, CA is threatening to layoff 43 police officers unless concessions can be reached with the union.

Same thing in Denver, CO where 91 police officer positions hang in the balance and in Boston, MA where 200 police officers wait to learn their fate.

If anyone things the "recession is over" think again. The NYS Comptroller forecast says that local governments may be called upon next year to contribute substantially more to the pension programs due to the ailing economy. If that happens it would have catastrophic affects on communities small and large.

God help us. I hope we can come out of this OK and do so sooner then later.

That's it, just increase the taxes. The idiots who pay them will just keep paying. I just went to DMV, the fee's they now charge are getting out of hand. I have been thinking of getting out of NY. Maybe now it's time.

We've only seen the beginning of the fiscal disaster that we are destined for....

Just as the bottom fell out of the residential real estate market last year, it's now the turn of the commercial real estate market to go through the floor and that along with the current administrations propensity for printing money will make the last couple of years look like a walk in the park.

Edited by Stench60

We've only seen the beginning of the fiscal disaster that we are destined for....

Just as the bottom fell out of the residential real estate market last year, it's now the turn of the commercial real estate market to go through the floor and that along with the current administrations propensity for printing money will make the last couple of years look like a walk in the park.

Why do you expect the commercial real estate market to go into the toilet?? I am not saying your wrong, i'm asking why you say that.

These are things we have to keep in mind come November. These politcians are a joke. After what they did over the summer and what they are doing to this state it is time for them to go. Mickey Mouse could do a better job. New York state is the worst state to live in. That idiot sitting in Albany is only making it worse. Let your voice be heard.....

"That idiot sitting in Albany is only making it worse. Let your voice be heard..... "

I agree..... The problem is you can and most likely will vote him out...... The problem is whoever is elected in his place will most likely be some highly polished crook who will hose us as much or even more...... The only people who get elected for the high political offices are those who have two things...... Money and Friends..... And when they get in, they're not really looking out for us (Although they want you to believe that) They are really just looking to make more money and more friends - all at our expense......

What the hell is a city like Pittsburgh going to do without a tactical team?

Akron, OH is laying off 201 municipal employees including 96 police officers (about 25% of their force) and 38 firefighters.

Putnam County is laying off 22 and eliminating another 27 positions (through retirements and eliminating unfilled positions).

Pittsburgh, PA is laying off 102 police officers, eliminating their SWAT and mounted units, and recalling all officers assigned to multi-jurisdictional task forces. They will also close one police precinct.

Stockton, CA is threatening to layoff 43 police officers unless concessions can be reached with the union.

Same thing in Denver, CO where 91 police officer positions hang in the balance and in Boston, MA where 200 police officers wait to learn their fate.

If anyone things the "recession is over" think again. The NYS Comptroller forecast says that local governments may be called upon next year to contribute substantially more to the pension programs due to the ailing economy. If that happens it would have catastrophic affects on communities small and large.

Where'd you get the info regarding Pittsburgh? I live in the area and I've seen nothing about this in the news or heard any chatter about it.

What the hell is a city like Pittsburgh going to do without a tactical team?

As I just posted, I'm skeptical about the information posted regarding Pittsburgh. However, the County Police has a SWAT team. Most of the other communities in the County rely on the County Police for services like SWAT & Homicide investigation.

Why do you expect the commercial real estate market to go into the toilet?? I am not saying your wrong, i'm asking why you say that.

How many vacant stores are there at the current time? How do you think the landlords pay taxes. Not only do most stores pay rent at shopping centers they also pay a percentage of income. Poughkeepsie Galleria gets 3% income on top of the rent and this doubles to 6% for November, December and January. Its not a guess that the Commercial market is in the toilet its a fact. The residential market hasn't made a complete rebound yet and until people go out and spend at stores freely again then the commercial market will continue a downward slide.

Where'd you get the info regarding Pittsburgh? I live in the area and I've seen nothing about this in the news or heard any chatter about it.

I stand corrected on Pittsburgh, the article I was given referenced cuts to the PD proposed in 2003 and concern that they were going to be resurrected now. They've not yet been put on the chopping block.

From the State of Pennsylvania, the State Police are facing as many as 800 layoffs if an alternative can't be found to resolve a budget deficit.

I stand corrected on Pittsburgh, the article I was given referenced cuts to the PD proposed in 2003 and concern that they were going to be resurrected now. They've not yet been put on the chopping block.

From the State of Pennsylvania, the State Police are facing as many as 800 layoffs if an alternative can't be found to resolve a budget deficit.

A Republican state senator insists no Pennsylvania state police troopers would be laid off under a proposed GOP budget cut of $16 million to the agency.

The chairman of the Senate Law and Justice Committee held a hearing on the matter Tuesday and accused Democratic Gov. Ed Rendell of using scare tactics to win legislative support for a tax increase. Sen. John Rafferty of Montgomery County disputed Rendell's contention that the GOP's spending plan would force the layoff of 800 troopers.

State Police Lt. Col. Jon Kurtz testified that a state funding formula dictates that a reduction in general tax dollars triggers a larger funding cut from the state's Motor License Fund. He says slashing personnel is the only way to absorb those losses, but Rafferty says the formula can be changed to avoid layoffs.

JUST ONE EXAMPLE of the mess and confusion permeating the state budget is a fight over funding for the State Police.

Gov. Rendell suggests that reckless Republicans mean mayhem, carnage and blood in the streets. Republicans, basically, say, "Huh?"

As a result, and as the Guv and GOP lock horns over taxes for a budget due tomorrow (as if), state troopers and the public are on a political seesaw, pushed up and down by conflicting information.

The administration says that the GOP would toss 800 troopers off the 4,400-member force, giving evildoers, drunken drivers and child-molesters free reign over Pennsylvania.

"The Senate's plan is reckless if not criminal," Rendell said in a recent statement. And at a news conference Friday, he said: "The only way to meet that [GOP budget] is with 800 layoffs."

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/2009...t_squabble.html

Sounds like quite a back and forth nightmare for the PSP. I've also heard that Pennsylvania SP has had "payroll deferrals" and withheld paychecks from troopers periodically since July to save money. Haven't seen that in print yet but got it from someone who works there.

No matter how you look at this, it's ugly!

Sounds like quite a back and forth nightmare for the PSP. I've also heard that Pennsylvania SP has had "payroll deferrals" and withheld paychecks from troopers periodically since July to save money. Haven't seen that in print yet but got it from someone who works there.

Pennsylvania is the last state not to have a budget in place, there is supposed to be one almost done but I'm not holding my breath. State workers did go a couple of weeks without getting paid back in the start of the summer, but a temporary spending budget was put into place so that State Workers are now getting paid despite a budget not being in place.

I'm not keen on any of these layoffs...but did anyone see the article on Friday in the local newspaper where a PD Captain made $550,000.00 in his last year of employment?

Half a million dollars for a police captain, to me, is unfathomable. This wasn't some large metro PD we are talking about either. As long as crap like this goes on you can't expect the public and in turn those they elect to support a maintenance or increase staffing.

At half a million, i think it's less civil/public service and more of a gravy train. The public displeasure is growing and as long as the civil service keeps up some of these games, i think they are essentially shooting themselves in the foot.

I always say hate the game not the player, but not everyone views it the same way...

I'm not keen on any of these layoffs...but did anyone see the article on Friday in the local newspaper where a PD Captain made $550,000.00 in his last year of employment?

Half a million dollars for a police captain, to me, is unfathomable. This wasn't some large metro PD we are talking about either. As long as crap like this goes on you can't expect the public and in turn those they elect to support a maintenance or increase staffing.

At half a million, i think it's less civil/public service and more of a gravy train. The public displeasure is growing and as long as the civil service keeps up some of these games, i think they are essentially shooting themselves in the foot.

Where was that? I'd like to see that story!!!

Where was that? I'd like to see that story!!!

Was that Clarkstown? I believe someting like $250,000 was an injury payout.

"Why do you expect the commercial real estate market to go into the toilet?? I am not saying your wrong, i'm asking why you say that."

Very simple actually, the buildings are no longer worth the mortgages written on them. Building owners with outstanding debt and no built up rainy day funds to satisfy those loans at that point have negative equity. It is easier for the corporation to declare bankruptcy and walk away from the loan and property than to try to secure financing for a mortgage on an overvalued building. This leaves the mortgator with an unpaid loan and a building that they vastly over valued. I'm sure those who are old enough can remember the last time this happened.