Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DR104

Entire Ark. Dept. Quits After Firing of Asst. Chief

11 posts in this topic

From Firehouse.com News

All of Jericho's 18 firefighters have quit in a move to stand by a former assistant fire chief who was shot by an officer at city hall on Aug. 27 and then fired by the mayor last week, according to WREG-TV.

Last week the local police chief disbanded his force after an uproar in reaction to the shooting, leaving the rural town of 174 residents without any public safety members.

The former assistant chief, Don Payne, is on crutches after the shooting during a scuffle with police about a speeding ticket.

Payne wouldn't talk to the news station about the incident, but says he is on his way to a full recovery.

Link: http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/watch/?watch...1&src=front

So forget the residents of the town... Bunch of children.

Sooooooooooooooo..............they hiring? LOL...

Just kidding...although it is an extreme move, and they are kind of abadnoning their posts/protection of the community - it does show one hell of a support for the Chief...

Next time I'm driving through the "city" of Jericho, remind me not to speed! The penalty is kinda harsh!

MVFD, i gotta agree with you. Kind of ridiculous/unprofessional to say the least, abrubtly hault fire protection for your citizens.

Dan, you make a good point to lol. I dont know many guys (in any field) who would have that kind of support.

Ws it me, or was the article/video kind of vague? Doesnt mention the reason the Chief was shot. Just says over a "scuffle" about a traffic ticket? Did he attack a police officer or what?

Note that they had 18 firefighters+an Assistant Chief and one would assume a Chief as well). So you have a staff of 20 firefighters (albeit not at the same time) covering a town of 174. This seem odd to anyone else?

Edited by dmc2007

Considering the career department in my part of West Haven covers several THOUSAND with 20 people? Yes, thats odd.

MVFD, i gotta agree with you. Kind of ridiculous/unprofessional to say the least, abrubtly hault fire protection for your citizens.

Dan, you make a good point to lol. I dont know many guys (in any field) who would have that kind of support.

Ws it me, or was the article/video kind of vague? Doesnt mention the reason the Chief was shot. Just says over a "scuffle" about a traffic ticket? Did he attack a police officer or what?

Mike,

Here's an earlier story that might help explain it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090903/ap_on_...s_shot_in_court

I love the fact that they show a Maltese Cross with the town's name spelt incorrectly on it ("Jerico" Fire Dept). This place sounds like every Southern stereotype I've ever imagined.

I read one article where there were several questions about the traffic enforcement policies in town. But the best part is that the Police Chief disbanded his whole department, then the Fire Department quit. So now they have no one to do anything.

I also liked one video I saw that had a good shot of the double wide city hall in it.

174 residents and no businesses equals a city in Arkansas? Or is a Town because the Yahoo article keeps switching between the two.

58 MPH on your driveway? So the cops set up a speed trap on his driveway? And people wonder why NYS DOT is responsible for approving speed limit changes in Towns in NY...to avoid this nonsense.

7 Cops for 174 people? And all of the cops showed up for the ticket hearing? In Beekman you are lucky to get a first appearance within 2 months. Same day service in Ark.?

Someone vandalized the police cars? The police department "disbands" and "city" hall is shuttered.

If I were a smart man, I'd use this for the script for my new movie sequel "Super Troopers- Da' South"