Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Waterbury, CT-New Gowans-Knight Engine Delivered

17 posts in this topic

Is this new Waterbury chasis for the City Of Waterbury FD?

http://www.gowansknight.com/conv09page.htm

I know they've been traditonally a Seagrave,ALF, and Pierce department......and I know there are other volunteer companies or some sort of deal in the city or surrounding area considered Waterbury.

If so, AWESOME! Gowans-Knight does good work, and some of their previous works are in service for the City Of Poughkeepsie and City Of Newburgh FD's.

the city of waterbury is getting a gk engine and also a gk rescue. another nice thing is that for the trucks to get serviced it is only a 10-15 minute ride vs. an hour or more.

Gowans makes a great truck if you are willing to wait.

We (Croton Falls, NY FD) have been using Gowans Knight for Years. Never a problem. They will come to our location(s) or if there is a severe electrical or mechanical, or safety issue, we take it to them. They do build some damn good apparatus, and yes they are worth the wait. Well at least we think so!! LOL

I got to see a City of Newburgh GK engine up close the other day. They seem to be a very well built truck and a company that stands by their work. Its nice to see these small outfits doing well.

I asked the Newburgh guys, including a Chief, Captain and driver, how they liked their GK's. They said theyve been great, with no real problems. Lets face it, Newburgh runs the hell out of their rigs, they're definately not sitting for very long. If they can take the beating in Newburgh, from going on several runs a tour, driving on some crappy N'Burgh roads and being pumped alot, then im sure they'd be great for smaller, less active depts. Thats exactly what i said to the Newburgh guys to; you must look at busy depts to see what they have to say about their apparatus and how they hold up. Its great that some depts can buy $600k + pumpers and be happy with them, but all that $ and how much to they get worked?

Anybody know price ranges for the GK's? Such as Newburgh or Poughkeepsies engines?

I got to see a City of Newburgh GK engine up close the other day. They seem to be a very well built truck and a company that stands by their work. Its nice to see these small outfits doing well.

I asked the Newburgh guys, including a Chief, Captain and driver, how they liked their GK's. They said theyve been great, with no real problems. Lets face it, Newburgh runs the hell out of their rigs, they're definately not sitting for very long. If they can take the beating in Newburgh, from going on several runs a tour, driving on some crappy N'Burgh roads and being pumped alot, then im sure they'd be great for smaller, less active depts. Thats exactly what i said to the Newburgh guys to; you must look at busy depts to see what they have to say about their apparatus and how they hold up. Its great that some depts can buy $600k + pumpers and be happy with them, but all that $ and how much to they get worked?

Anybody know price ranges for the GK's? Such as Newburgh or Poughkeepsies engines?

When I go back in to work on Wed I will find out what the price was for both of them. In my opinion you can't beat the spartan chasis the only problems we have is the alternator shits teh bed every few months.

New Fairfield's new Gowans-Knight was around 450-500K I believe.

GK makes a great truck and everyone that has had a pumper built or re-built by them have rarely had any trouble. I'm surprised they didn't bid out for my engine when we planned it. Hopefully they will have good luck with their new rigs.

It looks like its the same body spec as the Seagraves and Pierce XTs. I have to say being from the area their rigs are set up nice and simple!

Engine 11 is a nice looking rig. I like the bumper. The city's name appearing in bold white letters on the bumper is a nice touch. I really wish that we in Norwalk would get away from using the spartan chassis with the high cabs, they look very dis-proportionate. I like the look of the waterbury cab much, much better.

Can you open the right hose bed cover if the ladder rack has not been deployed?

Rig looks awesome, congratulations.

Engine 11 is a nice looking rig. I like the bumper. The city's name appearing in bold white letters on the bumper is a nice touch. I really wish that we in Norwalk would get away from using the spartan chassis with the high cabs, they look very dis-proportionate. I like the look of the waterbury cab much, much better.

I agree... I hate raised roof cabs. You're supposed to be seated anyway. But at the end of the day, apparatus is there to do it's job, no matter how ugly the cab may look.

You are right IzzyEng4 WaterBury's does look like a Pierce Arrow XT Chassis from the side but im not shure to much about the Seafrave but definatly a Pierce.

Awesome rig! GK did a really great job on it!

By the way, does anybody know the condition of Waterbury FD Station 10(Fire Headquarters) on Field St. in Waterbury? Last time I checked, it was undergoing renovations. Also, I know that they moved Truck 1 to Station 11 with the new rig, and the old Engine 10 I think went to Engine 5, but where's the current Engine 10? Does it exist anymore, or did it get disbanded?

Awesome rig! GK did a really great job on it!

By the way, does anybody know the condition of Waterbury FD Station 10(Fire Headquarters) on Field St. in Waterbury? Last time I checked, it was undergoing renovations. Also, I know that they moved Truck 1 to Station 11 with the new rig, and the old Engine 10 I think went to Engine 5, but where's the current Engine 10? Does it exist anymore, or did it get disbanded?

The firehouse is undergoing renovations. Engine Co. 10 was shut down about a year ago now but when Headquarters is finished, Truck 1, Rescue 9 and its Hazmat detachment, and Battalion 1 should be moving back in. At least that was what was talked about a while back, I don;t know if this is still the plan or not.