Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMSer

School suspends Eagle Scout for pocketknife

52 posts in this topic

LANSINGBURGH — The possession of a keychain pocketknife could have severe consequences on the future of a local high school student.

Matthew Whalen, a 17-year-old senior at Lansingburgh High School, was placed on a 20-day suspension after school officials found a two-inch pocketknife in the glove compartment of his car.

Article

Please feel free to call the Administration to tell them to reverse their decision.

Call them at 518-233-6806

This is a nation wide effort to reverse this situation!

Reply to this is you called!

ur kidding me! in his car? who searched his car and why? In high school I always had knives in my car as they were part of my fire gear just as it was probably part of his activities after school with the eagle scouts. My friend was prohibited from attending our senior prom because some how the school found it acceptable to search his car because they saw a bag of chew in the front seat. they found beer in the truck and suspended him because he was 18. it wasnt even his beer as he shared the vehicle with his father and his father had purchased the beer the night before and never took it out. I told him to fight it but he never did. this is just BS. Its not like he had it on him in school, which in my eyes is no problem anyways as i religiously had one on my persons. not that i ever once thought of hurting someone, it was just part of my normal get up. i will be calling after class for sure.

I just called. When asked why I was calling, I stated " to protest your..." . The secretary transferred me to the principal's voice mail. I left a polite message that this decision shows no common sense, and what was next taking away the plastic knives in the cafeteria, or perhaps locking up any tools in the shop program, if they have one. I also pointed out, the student did not have possession of the knife until directed by the school staff to retrieve it from his vehicle.

A little too much punishment, but zero tolerance is zero tolerance! Maybe some detentions or something, but a definite code red for the snitch! ;-)

I am all for keeping the students safe, but give me a break!!

Am I reading correctly, it was in the car not on him? Unless something has changed a search warrant is required to search a vehicle, or have we further trampled peoples rights.

Article

Please feel free to call the Administration to tell them to reverse their decision.

Call them at 518-233-6806

This is a nation wide effort to reverse this situation!

Reply to this is you called!

I am reading this at 2100 hrs and will call in the am, sent the link on to some friends as well!

Lets get some more facts. Did the police search his vehicle due to the school saying they saw a knife in the car, or was it really the school who preformed the search? Did the student consent to the search? I don't agree with the length of the suspension, but in this post Columbine and VT school world, schools are being more cautious than every before. Facts due get distorted after the news of the incident breaks. Student safety is the number one priority in this post violent attack world. I due agree with at least one police officer in every school to deter crime.

What is wrong with that school district? The knife was in his GLOVE COMPARTMENT and he had no easy access to it at any time. This kids resume is pretty good as well. The kind of Citizen you would want in your town. I hope that powers that be at West Point have seen this story and give him a fair and balanced interview. What a bunch of TOOLS!!

called......probly gonna have fbi or cia kick in my door now for my use of words in my message

I would usually keep a multi-tool at all times in my locker. I was on stage crew in high school and it was not un-common for us to use them after school setting up the stage and having them on us. I'm an eagle scout and this case is absolutely ridiculous! I know now-a-days I would be in deep trouble if I had a multi-tool in my locker or better yet on me.

Granted that i graduated HS in 1980, but i carried a pocket knife virtually every day from grade 6 on, and still do today. I started after joining the scouts and earning my "Tote 'n Chip" card (a knife, saw, and axe safety training completion card).

There aren't words to describe how idiotic this attitude and this decision is. I've carried a knife every day of my life since I was about 8, and so will my kids.

Mike

I feel sorry for the poor secretary who has to answer the phone! The total frustration in her voice over what she has had to deal with was obvious in her voice! I hope this kid gets his record cleared and gets his chance at the Point. I called this am, as an aside I carried a knife just about every day from about 14 on and on one ocassion loaned it to the Principal. He returned it! Hmmm, on second thought where is that knife??

Edited by Mark Z

I would usually keep a multi-tool at all times in my locker. I was on stage crew in high school and it was not un-common for us to use them after school setting up the stage and having them on us. I'm an eagle scout and this case is absolutely ridiculous! I know now-a-days I would be in deep trouble if I had a multi-tool in my locker or better yet on me.

I was the same way. I was on stage/lighting/sound crew back in HS, and daily, I had a multi-tool on me, or in my locker. Scary how much all that has changed in the short time since I have been in HS.

What a bunch of farging iceholes. The kid's pocketknife is a dangerous weapon......but his CAR isn't?

What a bunch of farging iceholes. The kid's pocketknife is a dangerous weapon......but his CAR isn't?

Well put Stepjam!!!

Granted that i graduated HS in 1980, but i carried a pocket knife virtually every day from grade 6 on, and still do today. I started after joining the scouts and earning my "Tote 'n Chip" card (a knife, saw, and axe safety training completion card).

Does your card still have all four corners though? Since my days as a scout, I have always carried at least a pocket knife. Sometimes also a multi tool. From reading the article, I have gleaned that the school board has a zero tolerance policy to weapons of any kind being on school grounds. The parking lot is school grounds. It is unfortunate that this fine young man got caught, but from what the article states about the policies and what happened, he did break the rules. Do I agree with the rules? Most definitely not. But this is a school. Do we really want everybody walking around with knives? My opinion is that keeping a knife locked up outside in your cars glovebox should be fine. I have no problem with having a legal knife locked in a glovebox in a locked car. However, the school board told everybody to leave the knives at home. This kid didnt. He broke the (crappy) rule.

Based on the school code of conduct "Possessing a weapon. Authorized law enforcement officials are the only persons permitted to have a weapon in their possession while on school property or at a school function." It seems it would be an empty place if they include items in parked autos not on a persons body to be a violation. If this were the case a sweep of their parking lot would probably lead to the banning from the property of many students, faculty, staff and administrators who have a tool box in their trunk to say the least. Note their policy excludes every one from possessing a "weapon" unless they are Authorized Law Enforcement Officials. Lunch lady - gone - used knife to make lunch. Secretary - gone - use scissor to open mail. Custodian - gone - used a razor knife to open a box. Boy could this snowball. :o

By the way called the school this morning as a fellow eagle scout to voice my opinion and they direct you to a voice mailbox set up just for this issue. Guess they are getting a lot of calls. Sorry they don't have an email address listed. Would make a great email campaign. Does anyone have one for them? :mellow:

Does your card still have all four corners though? Since my days as a scout, I have always carried at least a pocket knife. Sometimes also a multi tool. From reading the article, I have gleaned that the school board has a zero tolerance policy to weapons of any kind being on school grounds. The parking lot is school grounds. It is unfortunate that this fine young man got caught, but from what the article states about the policies and what happened, he did break the rules. Do I agree with the rules? Most definitely not. But this is a school. Do we really want everybody walking around with knives? My opinion is that keeping a knife locked up outside in your cars glovebox should be fine. I have no problem with having a legal knife locked in a glovebox in a locked car. However, the school board told everybody to leave the knives at home. This kid didnt. He broke the (crappy) rule.

Fine then give him a talking to and tell me not to do it again! This kind of a situation does NOT warrant this kind of action that can effect his entire life! This is a minor infraction at best and did not need this kind of heavy-handed response.

I am reading this at 2100 hrs and will call in the am, sent the link on to some friends as well!

I found out the email to the school district’s superintendent:

ggoodwin@lansingburgh.org

Although rules are rules, common sense must always be applied. If our Judicial System on all levels can apply common sense, so can a school district.

Examples of weapons students have access to daily: pens, pencils, plastic forks, plastic knives, baseball bats from gym class, hockey sticks, their own POV...the list goes on...

Now if this were some gang banger, then again COMMON SENSE would play a role for his punishment!

Thanks to all for supporting this kid. I don't know him, probably will never meet him, but he needs public support for this.

I read other people from other states getting involved with this, figured I'd try to do my part...

Edited by EMSer

I wonder if they consider a tire iron to be a weapon? In a really bad horror movie I saw someone kill somebody with a pen through the ear. Is that a weapon? Maybe everyone needs to take notes in crayon now.

I wonder if they consider a tire iron to be a weapon? In a really bad horror movie I saw someone kill somebody with a pen through the ear. Is that a weapon? Maybe everyone needs to take notes in crayon now.

ahhhhh, the tire iron...maybe he'll get another 15 days for having that...

and then maybe another 15 days for having hands capable of being clenched into fists....

and then maybe another 15 days for having feet and legs capable of kicking....

see how ridiculous this can get...it's all about the individual and COMMON SENSE!

. . . Thanks to all for supporting this kid. I don't know him, probably will never meet him, but he needs public support for this.

I read other people from other states getting involved with this, figured I'd try to do my part...

I wonder if there is a way to let this kid know that many people are supporting him. . . ??

Common sense is what's needed. So the school wants to ban weapons? Fair enough. A flick knife is a weapon. A butterfly knife is a weapon. A belt buckle knife is a weapon. A knuckle duster is a weapon. A Glock is a weapon.

Tire irons, utility knives, leathermen, multi-tools, camp cutlery, screwdrivers... they're not weapons, they're tools. If some people don't understand that, educate them.

These kids that have been in the news recently have no case to answer. But there seem to be some control freaks, or people with 'issues', managing some schools these days. Don't fight them - ignore them. Don't co-operate. Don't comply. Refuse to be suspended. Get on with your work quietly. You can only be a victim of bullying of this kind if you consent to it. Don't.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Common sense is what's needed. So the school wants to ban weapons? Fair enough. A flick knife is a weapon. A butterfly knife is a weapon. A belt buckle knife is a weapon. A knuckle duster is a weapon. A Glock is a weapon.

Tire irons, utility knives, leathermen, multi-tools, camp cutlery, screwdrivers... they're not weapons, they're tools. If some people don't understand that, educate them.

These kids that have been in the news recently have no case to answer. But there seem to be some control freaks, or people with 'issues', managing some schools these days. Don't fight them - ignore them. Don't co-operate. Don't comply. Refuse to be suspended. Get on with your work quietly. You can only be a victim of bullying of this kind if you consent to it. Don't.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Tire irons, utility knives, leathermen, multi-tool and all the above are WEAPONS if used in the wrong capacity! If someone is hitting, stabbing, etc.. with these "tools" they are considered weapons!

Maybe I need to be educated because I don't understand how you think that they are simply TOOLS.