Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

x635's Trip To Chicago

31 posts in this topic

My wife gave me a trip to Chicago for my 30th birthday in August. We just got back yesterday. Chicago is an awesome, beautiful city! It's my new (photographically) L.A.

We had many great experiences, getting to hang out and see friends at O'Hare Towing (featured in the TV series "Wrecked: Life in The Crash Lane"), eating Chicago style deep dish pizza from Gino's East which was not NY pizza but still absolutely awesome, having a room on the 33rd floor of the Swissotel, with views of Lake Michigan, the river, and downtown, going to see a great comedy performance at Second City, going to Gibson Steakhouse, going on an river boat architecture tour, and just seeing Chicago itself.

Also bought a few books on the history of Chicago's fires that I've never seen before anywhere at B&N. They have had some insane tragedies and a very storied history in that department. I hope to visit the musuem next time, I'm really into learning more about Chicago FD now....I know they have some very cool innovations and reactions in both past and modern times.

Since this was my first trip to Chicago, I didn't get a lot of photos, since I wanted to enjoy the city and only had a rental car for the first two days and it rained a lot....however, I will definetly be going on a photo trip there as soon as I can. Absolutely awesome city, and so many trucks that I want to photograph next time!! But I am glad to be back in Austin, it's always nice to be home.

Anyways, here are some of the shots that I did get. This is Truck 903 from O'Hare Towing's Northlake Terminal, a 2006 Kenworth T-800/Century 1060S 60-Ton rotating boom, one of the stars of the show "Wrecked: Life In The Crash Lane" on Speed.

post-11-1256765098.jpg

View from one side of the hotel room:

post-11-1256765370.jpg

Chicago FD's New Medic 8, 2009 Ford F-450/Braun

post-11-1256765616.jpg

Nice photos! The one from the hotel was awesome! Happy Belated Birthday BTW!

Deep dish pizza from Gino's East:

post-11-1256765915.jpg

Downers Grove FD Engine 1, 2009 Pierce Impel

post-11-1256766040.jpg

Ilinois Tollway Help Truck

post-11-1256766199.jpg

The Weber Grill (didn't go, but from what I have heard, everything is cooked on the original style domed Weber charcoal grill)

post-11-1256766352.jpg

Chicago PD Chevrolet Impala:

post-11-1256766524.jpg

O'Hare Towing Truck 315. They took the body and boom portions from one of their older trucks, refurbished and remounted it onto a used Kenworth T-800 tractor that had its frame stretched, all work done in-house at O'Hare's Northlake facility. This is the truck that Dwight Lee usually drives on Season 2 of "Wrecked", and the build was featured in epsidode one of this past season.

post-11-1256767094.jpg

One of Chicago FD's newest stations, for Engine Company 18:

post-11-1256767223.jpg

Chicago Traffic Management Authority Wrecker

Ford F-Super Duty/Vulcan Auto Loader

post-11-1256767466.jpg

Chicago Streets And Sanitation Plow/Spread Truck

post-11-1256767807.jpg

Another unique view from the hotel room:

post-11-1256767890.jpg

On November 22, 1976, Watroba and the members of Engine 13 were

deployed to a fire outside their district at Fisk Station, the former ComEd

power plant on West Cermak at Carpenter Street, now owned by Midwest

Generation. Watroba was trapped for seven hours under a collapsed coal

conveyor, and his leg was finally amputated in order to free him from the

burning building. Watroba died shortly thereafter.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/me...d-58566712.html

post-11-1256767993.jpg

Another view from the hotel room. That's it for tonight, hope to post some more photos later on this week....

post-11-1256768267.jpg

Excellent shots, Seth. Can't wait to see what you come back with from that photo safari you are looking forward to!

seth you didn't explore those two C95 macks that are the picture from the hotel room lol ?

seth you didn't explore those two C95 macks that are the picture from the hotel room lol ?

From what I understand, you can rent out as a group to get a tour of Chicago on a classic firetruck:

http://www.olearysfiretours.com/

From the website, seems they use them for other events. Not sure why they are parked there, but it's interesting to note the lot is of "Wacker Drive"

I should have figured my way in for a photo, but I completly forgot.

So on your next trip to chicago we should expect to see pics of you on the firetruck tour of chicago and a picture of wacker drive lol

The Weber Grill (didn't go, but from what I have heard, everything is cooked on the original style domed Weber charcoal grill)

I wouldn't waist your time or money. I went to THAT restaurant when I was in Downers Grove last year and for food was OK but the bill for 4 adults and 2 kids was $180. and there was no alcahol or desert ordered.

Where is the O'Hare building in Downers? I haven't been back to visit my Aunt since they moved. She lives in a Sears Home that is featured on the Downers Grove walking tour 2 blocks from the train station.

I also love the fact that CFD used Q2E's on there ambulances and they really move the traffic better then the older buses that don't have them.

Edited by 64FFMJK

I wouldn't waist your time or money. I went to THAT restaurant when I was in Downers Grove last year and for food was OK but the bill for 4 adults and 2 kids was $180. and there was no alcahol or desert ordered.

Where is the O'Hare building in Downers?

With all the awesome local joints in Chicago, I don't think I would go to the Weber Grill......it did indeed look expensive, and there are so many other non-chain resturants to try.

O'Hare's facility is on Wisconsin Ave, near Belmont Rd. Not too far from the train station.

They had several White Castle's around the Chicago area:

post-11-1256814702.jpg

Great shots, Seth! No fire trucks though???

Edited by FF402
x635 likes this

Great shots, Seth! No fire trucks though???

No, really wasn't much of a "buff trip". Although I really do want to make one of those. I really wanted to experience the city and spend time with my wife, but while she was in a business meeting Fri & Sat, I hung out with friends at O'Hare and got some shots of some of my favorite wreckers.

Great stuff, as always. Makin' me jealous again. Can't wait to see what a future "buff" trip produces!

Any Krispy Kreme presence in Chi-town? LOL!

As promised, some more photos:

O'Hare Towing Service

Truck 902

1996 Mack/Century 1060S 60 Ton Rotator

(For those that watch the show, that's Jamisen behind the wheel)

post-11-1257100266.jpg

O'Hare Towing Service Truck 310

2006 Kenworth T-800/Vulcan V-100

For fans of the show, this is the truck driven by Mike "Tryke" Trykowski

post-11-1257100534.jpg

Downers Grove, IL Medic 2

post-11-1257100738.jpg