Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dashield

Anybody hiring firefighters/transfers who were laid off?

17 posts in this topic

Looks like Newburgh will be doing layoffs, does anybody know if there are any departments in Westchester or Dutchess County who will hire laid off guys as transfers??????

from what i have heard, fariview in dutchess is looking for experienced career firefighters to fill open positions.

As one of the busiest citys in the Hudson Valley it amazes me how the City can layoff from the FD as well as the PD. Running with 2 engines and 1 Truck how will the layoffs effect fire protection for the city residents? It can't be good? Good luck to the members who may be laid off.

Its 100% Career

I think that they may get Mutual Aid from Vols surrounding the city but not really sure.

I wish these men the best of luck with this i know a few members up there and they are all great guys!

Mutual Aid is probably what they'll end up doing then; to attempt to create a volunteer force in Newburgh might create more problems then its worth.

Newburgh is 100% paid, we run about 3000 calls with 2 & 1.

On a second alarm mutual aid will be called which will provide stand-by companies and a FAST company to the scene.

If you're looking to move, I know that there are a lot of departments in Texas that are hiring, especially in the Dallas-Forth Worth metroplex area. Experience and training is a big plus, and if you have your EMT or Paramedic, even better......

Support Newburgh Fire Department to Prevent Layoffs!!!!!

Watch the attached Public Safety Announcement.....

I thought it was a bigger dept. With these tough times I wish all that might be affected good luck.

Man, sorry to hear this dashield! Hope that they are able to prevent this. But knowing the way that Newburgh works, it doesnt look good. In my opinion, Fire/PD layoffs should be looked at only as a LAST resort. How about City managers or other who work out of City hall? Theres gotta be some cutting back they could do there.

I was surprised to when i learned how small of a job Newburgh is. As far as bringing in vollys....not a good idea at all in my opinion. First off, Newburgh is a City that NEEDS career firefighters/protection and could not properly be protected by volunteers (my opinion). If they were to bring in vols (highly unlikely), then it would not be good for the future when they look to re-instate career members.

I had the chance to meet some NFD guys a month or so ago. We (Buchanan) were on stand-by for Coldenham FD and were called to a dumpster fire against a structure. While the stand-by crews were out, Newburgh was called in to back-fill with an engine company. They were really cool guys and we got to chat a bit about their engine (Gowens Knight). I dont know how well they get along with the vols and visa-versa, but i do know that they work together on a somewhat normal basis. Its not unlikely for Coldenham, Cornwall-on-Hudson and others to go into Newburgh.

Best luck to the Newburgh brothers, hope things work out for the best for you guys!

The City of Newburgh City Council is now proposing laying of eight guys, on top of already slashing four vacant spot, and shutting down an Engine company. We will officially know on Monday evening, with that in mind does anyone know of any departments that are hiring right now??? I have already sent me resume out in departments in Dutchess and Westchester but nothing looks promising...

Any help would be appreciated......

The City of Newburgh City Council is now proposing laying of eight guys, on top of already slashing four vacant spot, and shutting down an Engine company. We will officially know on Monday evening, with that in mind does anyone know of any departments that are hiring right now??? I have already sent me resume out in departments in Dutchess and Westchester but nothing looks promising...

Any help would be appreciated......

So that would mean the City of Newburgh would run with just one engine and one truck?

That's insane!

So that would mean the City of Newburgh would run with just one engine and one truck?

That's insane!

That would be correct, 1 Engine uptown, 1 Truck downtown....... With three on each!

That would be correct, 1 Engine uptown, 1 Truck downtown....... With three on each!

Insane!