Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdny2003

Vonage Phone Service 911

10 posts in this topic

First to start, not sure if this topic belongs here, and if not I ask a Moderator to move it to the appropriate location.

I saw a commercial for Vonage phone service earlier, and of course as with every other time was curious about the fine print on the bottom that Vonage 911 is different from traditional 911. So I decided to go to the Vonage website and see what that was about. Vonage is a VoIP phone service, requiring obviously internet connections. That's all fine and dandy, but when I started reading about their own version of 911, it kind of made me skeptical and worrisome about it. With Vonage 911, their own version as they do have basic 911; aside from the fact that there is a fee for 911 because it is their own version, you are not automatically connected to the nearest 911 Emergency Center; instead you are transferred to a National 911 Emergency Center, where they will confirm the location you are calling from and then transfer you to the local 911 Center. Then reading further, if you lose power, or your broadband connection, you lose the ability to call 911. So not only do you not get connected to the nearest 911 Center immediately, if you lose power or internet you lose the ability to call 911. To me, I don't trust that at all, and would be worried everyday if I may have to call 911 do I have internet connection, or if I lost power and my house caught fire or there was some medical emergency, I better make sure I had my cell phone or ran to a neighbors house and used their phone. Just curious as to what others may think of this, whether you would want to pay for a 911 service, and if anyone on here had any VoIP service and had anything like this.

Not having E-911 capability that a wired land-line provides is a major trade-off for a reduced monthly cost VOIP services generally offer.

VOIP providers are required make you aware, and that you understand the 911 service differences and accept the service as offered despite the shortcomings.

The above is not altogether true for fixed cable provider digital-voice plans, like Optimum Voice for example, where the service is tied directly to a physical address. These are not true VOIP systems, however the same applies that you might not be able to dial 911 if your cable service goes out, or during a power outage.

Saving money could end up costing a lot more than you think.

So not only do you not get connected to the nearest 911 Center immediately, if you lose power or internet you lose the ability to call 911.

You win some, you loose some. A couple of weeks ago my voice line was dead as a dodo, but broadband was working fine. So I lost ability to call 911 on normal voice line, but was still able to use internet telephony.

As for location, the whole point is that it's portable - you could be making an internet telephone call from home, work, the side of the road, an airport - anywhere you have mobile broadband. And you could be connected through or via a proxy or VPN connection, even through an overseas location. It's impossible to reliably determine the physical location of anyone on the internet, so the best way for the dispatcher to find out where you are is to ask!

Remember too that if you have FiOS voice, and you lose power, you only have about 8hrs of battery backup. Normally that's enough for the average power outage, but in a major, area-wide, storm; that could be an issue. Especially since telephone lines aren't always as affected as power lines.

Not for nothing, but most phones used today will be useless when you lose power, since cordless phones are so popular nowadays. For that reason, I keep a corded telephone in an easily accessible spot in my apartment/house for such an occurrence, if its a big event cell service may also be disrupted.

Another interesting point is that if the cell towers are overloaded in an emergency (like what happened on 9/11) text messages still work.

I have the Vonage service and have had to call 911 I think twice maybe three times in the time I have had it and all those times I was directed to my local 911 center. When I did get Vonage I did have to activate the 911 service with my street address, but I image a good number of people don't and then get directed to the that national 911 centers. In one of those calls I was told by the 911 dispatcher that my address was showing up in the next town.

As for the power issue I rely on a cell phone as a 911 backup.

Edited by shadow12083

It is worst for people with phone service from their cable company. The phone service is provided through their modem device, and without power you lose not only Internet, cable but also phone service. A good case for buying a UPS for the cable modem device. At least FiOS has a battery back up for those short outages.

Good reason to keep that cell phone charged!

Remember too that if you have FiOS voice, and you lose power, you only have about 8hrs of battery backup. Normally that's enough for the average power outage, but in a major, area-wide, storm; that could be an issue. Especially since telephone lines aren't always as affected as power lines.

Edited by JackEMT

With FIOS, they a supply a battery back up - but you still lose phone service if you don't have an 'old fashioned' corded phone.

I have phone serviec through a different VOIP company. Initially there was no 911 service, but a couple of years ago the FCC or someone forced them all to supply it. We did get a flyer and had to register our address. I tested it a while back and it went to NY State Police.

Inicdentally, a lot of people are just going with cell service now anyway.

I have a Magic Jack that I use for my home telephone service. It works thru my high speed internet connection kind of like Vonage or Optimum Voice. When I was setting up my service I was directed to a 911 set up screen when I had the option to enter my address. When I dial 911 it does go to my local 911 center and the address information that I entered will show up on the 911 screen. You just have to remember that if you move or you take the Magic Jack device with you to use on your laptop or other computer when you are traveling, you have to make sure that you change the address information.

If I lose my internet connection for any reason, my Magic Jack will not work.

Just to add to the confusion--when you sign up for Optimum Voice--there is some fine print worth reading--like the part where it references it is not a "life line" service at this point. Points to ponder--some that have already been brought up--a lot of people use these expandable cordless systems that go out when the power goes out. If you do have a corded phone and or a generator, the cable plant does have battery back up's (those big grey cabinets that look like mini refrigerators on the pole) that usually keep things running for the duration of the average power outage. The run time varies depending on the loading (and how well they are maintained) but for the most part they keep things running--including your video service. If you don't have a generator but have a corded phone--you can get a battery backup for the modem (or a battery that goes in the modem depending on the model)or plug it in to a UPS. I have a battery back up and an corded phone and the last time we lost power--still had phone service for the entire 3 hours power was out. If I lost anyone--PM me.