Favorites:

Pumper= Newsham

Ladder- Hayes

You may have to look them up

Favorites:

Pumper= Newsham

Ladder- Hayes

Now that is old school, lol! I think I remember seeing/photographing them at the Hall Of Flame Museum in Phoenix.

My favorite old fire apparatus is no doubt Mack only. Learned how to drive a firetruck in a MACK. Nothing is meaner than an old CF. No seconds, thats it.

My modern day favorite is Pierce. I think they make one of the meanest looking and solid fire apparatus hands down. I am excited to see what KME builds for us with the new tiller and the delivery of that will end a streak of Spartans that has gone on for too long in my opinion.

Norwalk is getting a tiller? Where have I been, lol! Seems like KME is putting out a lot of tillers nowadays!

Now that is old school, lol! I think I remember seeing/photographing them at the Hall Of Flame Museum in Phoenix.

Norwalk is getting a tiller? Where have I been, lol! Seems like KME is putting out a lot of tillers nowadays!

Dig thru your pictures. Maybe you can post them for the younger folk

Based on personal experience, I have to say NEW= Gowans Knight, Old= Ward La France.

Really don't have a least favorite.

Also like anything Mack

I have to say my favorite apparatus is hands down a pierce love there design especially the Arrow XT love it our departments first rescue pierce saber great truck. Secondly I would have to say ALF we just got a new ALF aerial ladder 110' stick it looks and sounds great.I also love any type of freightliner commercial pumper love freightliners so much our department already has 3 freightliner engines and the were getting 2 new freightliner/smeal pumpers to have all our engines freightliners hope there good engines.

Dont really have a least favorite truck i only really hate when departments have top mount pupmers I hate top mounts so much because it makes the truck look stupid that you have a big a** gap in between the truck which I think is ugly.

Not sure what the attachment to Sutphen was other than the fact they bought one, developed a relationship with them and never went out to bid again. That has since changed and we put our Rescue (which is a Mack / Saulsbury by the way) out to bid and are now expecting delivery of our new SVI Rescue Shortly. Going on our final inspection trip on the 25th this month and should be in service soon thereafter.

By the way, anyone looking to buy a "slightly used" Rescue (see link below) Looking for a good home very soon. Spread the word.

http://www.patterson...pt.org/2261.htm

As for the Tower Ladder, No plans at this time to replace it (unfortunately) Would love to get a stick in there instead. I think Grumpy would agree.

A couple more photos of 22-6-1, the 1988 Mack/Saulsbury. I would love to replace the current 22-5-1 (1989 Sutphen 100') with a stick. Too bad we didn't have the money in the budget to look at Mt. Kisco's stick

post-917-126302217969.jpg

post-917-126302221136.jpg

i would have to say that my favorite is ALF, the E-one....my least favorite is the braun have seen some of them when going to long island and not a big fan of them.

Favorites:

Pumper= Newsham

Ladder- Hayes

Billy

Do you still have your leather bucket, and I know your favorite navy fog!

I wonder what peope use as the basis of thier choice?

Is it looks?

Is it the name?

Is it the fact that some major dept uses them so thats why?

What about maintenance, how well do they hold up? In my career I have seen a ladder fail because a manufacture forgot to recall a defective design. I have also seen 10 year old frame rails rust so bad that the vehicle may have to be scraped. Also rigs that leaked everytime it rained. And another brand that the radiators fall out every 16 months.

In the past 11 months I have worked with 2 different manufacturers to build an engine and a rescue. The experiences were night and day.

One I would buy from again and again. They were professional, got the job done well with very minimal issues. The other was very painful, we got what we wanted, but not without major effort on our part.

I suspect that the majority of posters have never actually purchased apparatus. It changes your perspective about companies. Since most components are the same from one manufacturer to the next, the bigger issue is how they perform and how they support their product.

Eng. 6 was reported to be very reliable when Blacky and Scout was the hourse power.

Edited by Bnechis

I wonder what peope use as the basis of thier choice?

Is it looks?

Is it the name?

Is it the fact that some major dept uses them so thats why?

What about maintenance, how well do they hold up? In my career I have seen a ladder fail because a manufacture forgot to recall a defective design. I have also seen 10 year old frame rails rust so bad that the vehicle may have to be scraped. Also rigs that leaked everytime it rained. And another brand that the radiators fall out every 16 months.

In the past 11 months I have worked with 2 different manufacturers to build an engine and a rescue. The experiences were night and day.

One I would buy from again and again. They were professional, got the job done well with very minimal issues. The other was very painful, we got what we wanted, but not without major effort on our part.

I suspect that the majority of posters have never actually purchased apparatus. It changes your perspective about companies. Since most components are the same from one manufacturer to the next, the bigger issue is how they perform and how they support their product.

Eng. 6 was reported to be very reliable when Blacky and Scout was the hourse power.

Let me guess, was the Rescue more painfull?

Let me guess, was the Rescue more painfull?

Nope, the rescue was very easy. The punch list was less than 2 pages (after 800+ page cotract review).

Wow very impressive, NEFEA was great for our ladder too.

Billy

Do you still have your leather bucket, and I know your favorite navy fog!

I would love to have a leather bucket. Rounded bottom of course. Why rounded? (First one to answer gets 1-Reputation vote)

Now for the Navy nozzle: take a look at the new HI-RISE nozle in use recently. It sure looks like a specially bent, large diameter, straight bore Navy applicator.

Wow very impressive, NEFEA was great for our ladder too.

Yes they were very good. What impressed me most was the way SVI communicated with use every step of the way. R-4 has a lot of very specific details that their engineers work in 3d with us daily, making sure we got exactly what we asked for. NEFEA was great, they got involved when needed and not when it required engineers to work out issues.

For a very complicated project, I was able to slep each night knowing all was well. I can not say the same for other projects.

Barry - It appears as other departments feel the same way about NEFEA. With the success that you and the New Rochelle Fire Department have had with them, as it relates to the New Rescue 4 and with the Yonkers Fire Department going back to NEFEA for their upcoming deliveries of their New Smeal/Spartan Engine 309 (1500 GPM - LDH), New Ladder 72, and New Squad 11, it appears as YFD (like NRFD) are very happy with the quality of service and support they are getting from NEFEA. Its all about the quality of build, service and support (both from the Manufacturer and Dealer) that makes it all happen. Isn't it kind of ironic, if you look back to say 1999, when ALF was just starting to become a major player in several Westchester County Fire Departments (New Rochelle and Yonkers) and now with ALF having financial difficulties and Campbell Supply in New Jersey dropping ALF as their main line of apparatus, the pendulum has swung in another direction.

I still only wish that Mack was still in the Fire Apparatus Game (which I have always thought made the best apparatus that held up the best). The worst ever? My opinion, Continential/Compac !!

Yes they were very good. What impressed me most was the way SVI communicated with use every step of the way. R-4 has a lot of very specific details that their engineers work in 3d with us daily, making sure we got exactly what we asked for. NEFEA was great, they got involved when needed and not when it required engineers to work out issues.

For a very complicated project, I was able to slep each night knowing all was well. I can not say the same for other projects.

Edited by 61MACKBR1