Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Portsmouth OH Fire Buff

E-One Apparatus starting to look good?

49 posts in this topic

Just came across this picture while on Flickr. Looks as if E-ONE is starting a futuristic line of trucks now?

My link

You're saying the Qwest cab looks good? :unsure:

I'll give them the fact that that bucket design is far better than the ones they were using before 2-3 years ago.

The apparatus can look as pretty as it wants but will it last 10-15 years and not break down? All they did was put a new dress on and old w#*re..

Being in a department that owns an E-One Tower Ladder, I will never advocate a purchase of an E-One, ever. The thing is OOS at least twice a month.

The apparatus can look as pretty as it wants but will it last 10-15 years and not break down? All they did was put a new dress on and old w#*re..

This is the first thing that should be addressed with a new product from any manufacturer. Who REALLY cares what it looks like. I mean, we all want to role around in something decent looking, but that should sit at the end of the list. Function and reliability should TOP the list and after that and several other issues, we can discuss how it looks.

That said, it looks to have a more manageable profile in terms of overall vehicle height and the bucket seems MUCH better with the angled access doors.

This is the first thing that should be addressed with a new product from any manufacturer. Who REALLY cares what it looks like. I mean, we all want to role around in something decent looking, but that should sit at the end of the list. Function and reliability should TOP the list and after that and several other issues, we can discuss how it looks.

That said, it looks to have a more manageable profile in terms of overall vehicle height and the bucket seems MUCH better with the angled access doors.

As my father said "You can't polish a turd", and E-One is one big turd !

E ONE uses an aluminum ladder,and they are garbage

I am only 15 and don't have near as much FF experience as most of you do, but I realize what you are saying. I hate E-ONE Appauratus, all my life Ive seen how they function and personally think that they are junk. I just found the overall design of the truck to be really futuristic looking, like that of a Spartan/Smeal Truck I have seen on Flickr. Spartan/Smeal Apparatus

E ONE uses an aluminum ladder,and they are garbage

I won't argue the limited merits of E-One themselves, but aluminum aerial devices or parts? Why do you equate that with garbage?

I have some ride and drive time with our 2000 Freightliner/E-One. It has taken a beating in comparison to our other apparatus due to the number of calls it rides out for, and it has held up relatively well. Some flexing of the passenger cab has caused some issues, but for the most part I can't complain too much. Other rescues from different manufacturers may hold up better though, time will tell for my experiences anyways, need a bit more with other makes to really tell.

I am sure the reason for this is that you have a commercial cab E One. From my experience with our Freightliners so far they have been pretty much trouble free.

I am sure the reason for this is that you have a commercial cab E One. From my experience with our Freightliners so far they have been pretty much trouble free.

Yes, it is an E-One cab.

Got to weigh in here as the exeption... our '97 E-one is great. It has had virually no downtime. Originally ment for Boston. In the '97 shipment to Boston, E-one added an extra pumper with a 1000 gallon tank. BFD refused it, although it was free. We picked it up at a real low cost. the body is in great shape.

Turned down a free pumper? Sounds stupid to me.

I doubt we'll ever know the real reasons but accepting a free fire truck would be highly questionable in municipal government. It certainly would look like a bribe to continue buying from the same dealer/vendor/builder. I know we cannot accept gifts over a certain dollar value with City Council approval, and we talking about double digits not 6 figures. Even the council might question the long term effects of accepting such a gift givent he other dealers looking for excuses to sue.

This may have also been around the time Boson starting looking at others besides E-One?

I have been involved in departments that have utilized E-One's for about 15 of my 17 years in the fire service and one was an exclusive E-One department (county for that matter). Never have had any major issues and our E-One's in my current department have held up very well. Sorry some of you have had issues. What I'd like to know is what issues were you having...lets all face it gang..an apparatus may say E-One, Pierce, etc...but they are all generally the same components under 1 name. Transmission issue? Is it E-One? Or Allison Transmission problem? Motor issues? Again..manufacturer? Or Detroit, Cummins or Caterpillar? So sometimes "problems" can be subjective.

TL2L31:

What is the issue with aluminum ladders? And how are they garbage? I'm interested to know as I've operated off of aluminum aerial devices again for about 15 years and again no issues have ever arisen. In fact...the aluminum ladders are easier to maintain via cleaning and greasing in my experience as compared to steel ladders with the way the paint chips, etc. And without having the time to research it now...when was the last failure of an aluminum ladder? I know when the advent of aluminum ladders first came out on the market that of course doubt was there...but its been at least over 20 years now of them out in the field and I'm just wondering what is the definition of "crap." They hold up just as well if not better then aluminum again when compared to failures of the actual ladder and their strength is the same as steel as it has to be to be in compliance with NFPA 1901.

And I'm still awaiting the "aluminum is garbage" replies.

My question on this went unanswered. I'm sure the buffs will be sad to note that the almighty Aerialscope uses aluminum for the moving boom sections. And again, while I have no specific frame of reference on E-One equipment, it's hard to argue with their rate of aluminum aerial failures (zero). How many other builders regardless of materials used can make that assertion? Me thinks some people are far to worried about nameplates, badges and looks. Give us trucks that work, ugly or not, and we'll do our job, the less they cost the better. (more $$ for raises!) :P

My question on this went unanswered. I'm sure the buffs will be sad to note that the almighty Aerialscope uses aluminum for the moving boom sections. And again, while I have no specific frame of reference on E-One equipment, it's hard to argue with their rate of aluminum aerial failures (zero). How many other builders regardless of materials used can make that assertion? Me thinks some people are far to worried about nameplates, badges and looks. Give us trucks that work, ugly or not, and we'll do our job, the less they cost the better. (more $$ for raises!) :P

I'm with you antique. As an aerial operator instructor and one who was growing up around the fire service when aluminum ladders became more popular years ago I listened to the debates then and still love having them now. Strength is strength and I still haven't found one person who can tell me why aluminum ladders are "crap" and/or give me factual information to support it. But...I'm still looking...and as I said earlier...I'm still waiting for an answer...if all else fails how bout I make a separate thread and if all else fails we'll talk about the merits of both.

While I will admit that the rig in the original post (link) is one of the nicer looking examples of the Quest that I've seen thus far, I still prefer the Cyclone II. And, as was mentioned, virtually every make out there has it's "lemons" from time to time. Can't say as I've ever heard of a single type of apparatus that was universally and unanimously loved or hated.

The reason explained to us was that they felt the 1000 gallons made the truck too heavy for the roads and that it had a much smaller hose bed and could not sustain their standard hose loads.

We use Aerielscopes and steel sticks. That being said, I'm somewhat familiar with aluminum tower ladders. I have to admit that the creaking sounds and greater amount of flex can be a little disconcerting. Other than that, what's the draw back? Great safety record and they weigh less.

I do have a question though....

An Aerielscope has a 1,000 lb. bucket capacity. Does anyone make an aluminum TL with a comparable bucket capacity?

Edited by M' Ave

We use Aerielscopes and steel sticks. That being said, I'm somewhat familiar with aluminum tower ladders. I have to admit that the creaking sounds and greater amount of flex can be a little disconcerting. Other than that, what's the draw back? Great safety record and they weigh less.

An Aerielscope has a 1,000 lb. bucket capacity. Does anyone make an aluminum TL with a comparable bucket capacity?

Sutphen SP110

E-One HP100

Pierce 100ft Aluminum Platform

M..thanks for a good reply. I can't say that I've experienced anymore creaking sounds or flex then that of a steel ladder but I also have to admit that the majority of my aluminum ladder experience has been with EOne. To compensate for the lighter weight of the aluminum the rails are thicker and also the sides are higher.

EOne has a 1000 lbs tip capacity, the TL I operate with has this.

Yeh, Aerialscope. B) 75% of the aerial box booms and bucket are aluminum, are they not? I think you'll find only the bases section is steel and the rest AL.

Yeh, Aerialscope. B) 75% of the aerial box booms and bucket are aluminum, are they not? I think you'll find only the bases section is steel and the rest AL.

The whole boom is steel, to the best of my knowledge.

As for that E-One, thanks for the info on the tip load.

So taking these things into consideration (added size of aluminu, vs. added weight for steel) what would you buy and WHY?

The whole boom is steel, to the best of my knowledge.

I was surprised myself a few years back when I was involved in a discuss about aluminum and the salesman corrected me. Check the specs out from the Seagrave/Aerialscope brochure: http://www.seagrave.com/MySeagrave/ContentManager/DocLibrary/AERIALSCOPE_SS.pdf middle of the second page under "boom construction".

As for that E-One, thanks for the info on the tip load.

I'm fairly sure the Scope is 1000 lbs unlimited but he E-One midmount has some restrictions below zero degrees? I know they won't put a manual gun on their buckets due to concerns of rapid changes in reaction force directions. But, they know their product best and with no E-One aerial hitting the ground, it seems their engineers are dialed in.

So taking these things into consideration (added size of aluminu, vs. added weight for steel) what would you buy and WHY?

Best price the met the spec regardless of aerial material. We bid out a MM tower in 2006 and it came down to E-One, KME and ALF. Sadly for all the other things E-One does right they seem to have missed the boat on their midmount product, with far more restrictions and numerous unhappy customers in the northeast.The KME was also more restricted in operation parameters so we bought the ALF. One week after signing the contract they were bought up and right after delivery went bankrupt. But alas, still no issues taking it out of service. Peirce and Scope also bid and were $100K plus above the other three. Edited by antiquefirelt

I was surprised myself a few years back when I was involved in a discuss about aluminum and the salesman corrected me. Check the specs out from the Seagrave/Aerialscope brochure: http://www.seagrave.com/MySeagrave/ContentManager/DocLibrary/AERIALSCOPE_SS.pdf middle of the second page under "boom construction".

I stand corrected! Good deal, very interesting.....I'm going to have to look closer next time I'm detailed out to an Elevator Company!

As FF of 22 yrs and an apparatus mechanic and fabricator with 15 years experience my quotes are my personal preferece.I have no preference on brand names of aerials just as long as its made of steel.quote name='antiquefirelt' date='16 December 2009 - 01:30 PM' timestamp='1260988250' post='198748']

Let me clarify my original statement.I am basing this on a stick not a bucket. FYI aluminum melts at 1220.666F and steel melts at 2400F. That's why I prefer steel and think any stick made of aluminum is garbage.