Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Chimney Fire Tactics

44 posts in this topic

You guys have some GREAT information in this thread. Why don't you all start really bumping each other up with these "reputation buttons"? This is one of the more productive, less dramatic threads. Give yourselves some credit. Just MHO.

FiftyOnePride likes this

Attack PPV...Want more?

Start a thread and see what comes up

I'll jump in later

Gerge: What buttons/ I don't see no stinkin' buttons!

Over there in the bottom right corner Chief!___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________>>

Does anyone have any pictures of what is on the business end of the chains they use ?

We have an old (not sure what its called) contraption that after you drop it down, you pull a second chain (there are 2) and it opens up and scrapes the wall on the way back up theoretically cleaning the walls off. We are revisiting our chimney fire tactics and that thing is going into the garbage to be replaced by something more effective.

Any Pictures or detailed descriptions would be appreciated.

Good Thread BTW. Very Productive. Likin' It !!

Over there in the bottom right corner Chief!___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________>>

10-4 The one with no label...just like my cell phone, GPS,etc

Does anyone have any pictures of what is on the business end of the chains they use ?

We have an old (not sure what its called) contraption that after you drop it down, you pull a second chain (there are 2) and it opens up and scrapes the wall on the way back up theoretically cleaning the walls off. We are revisiting our chimney fire tactics and that thing is going into the garbage to be replaced by something more effective.

Don't throw it out. 20 years from now you can ask the new guys "What is it?' Then tell them it's a Detroit Door Opener.

The chains we used to carry were a long (40' or so) chain in a bucket (later switched to a canvas bag with shoulder strap) with four or five smaller (12" or so) chains on a ring at one end. You'd yank the chain up and down as you raised and lowered it, and the little lengths on the bottom would rattle around and clean the buildup off the inside of the chimney flue.

We got rid of them some years back, and now run with the "baggie bomb" method, which has worked very well for us. We also like to carry a spray bottle (Windex-type) in the kit, and I've put out a fire or two with it. The steam produced by the mist does a great job without damaging the flue. And it's WAY cheaper than a chimney nozzle. I even put one out once with the homeowner's Windex bottle, before the rig arrived. She looked a little startled when she looked in and saw me rummaging under the kitchen sink. I said, "I need to borrow your Windex." She was like, "Uh - okay." then I dumped out the Windex, refilled the bottle with water, and she started laughing when she caught on. :D

waful and post4031 like this

We also like to carry a spray bottle (Windex-type) in the kit, and I've put out a fire or two with it. The steam produced by the mist does a great job without damaging the flue.

Neat idea...

The chains we used to carry were a long (40' or so) chain in a bucket (later switched to a canvas bag with shoulder strap) with four or five smaller (12" or so) chains on a ring at one end. You'd yank the chain up and down as you raised and lowered it, and the little lengths on the bottom would rattle around and clean the buildup off the inside of the chimney flue.

We got rid of them some years back, and now run with the "baggie bomb" method, which has worked very well for us. We also like to carry a spray bottle (Windex-type) in the kit, and I've put out a fire or two with it. The steam produced by the mist does a great job without damaging the flue. And it's WAY cheaper than a chimney nozzle. I even put one out once with the homeowner's Windex bottle, before the rig arrived. She looked a little startled when she looked in and saw me rummaging under the kitchen sink. I said, "I need to borrow your Windex." She was like, "Uh - okay." then I dumped out the Windex, refilled the bottle with water, and she started laughing when she caught on. :D

Thanks NYSEMT

We have the "ABC Bombs" already but wanted to add the chains as another tool. I got the picture now of the chains and will work on that. I also like the "Windex" bottle idea and will add that to the arsenal. Great Idea Simple

In reagrds to the "Dry Chem Bombs";

Use those bags that come on a roll in the produce section of the grocery store - they are much thinner that sammich bags and melt faster, allowing the powder to work more rapidly.

In reagrds to the "Dry Chem Bombs";

Use those bags that come on a roll in the produce section of the grocery store - they are much thinner that sammich bags and melt faster, allowing the powder to work more rapidly.

We've always used "thicker" zip lock baggies with favorable results. If the "throat" is hot enough it immediately melts the bag on its way through.

Have you had issues with the thinner produce bags melting from the heat above the "throat" so the dry chem doesn't get down far enough? Also, any broken bags before deployment? I can't keep two apples from breaking one of those damn bags!

If no Windex is around, I've seen a guy knock down a pretty good kitchen fire with a bottle of club soda. Thumb over the top like a garden hose then shaken, not stirred.

That would be thinking "Outside The Box" !!!

You might want to go with the 2 Liter Bottle though ;)

We also like to carry a spray bottle (Windex-type) in the kit, and I've put out a fire or two with it. The steam produced by the mist does a great job without damaging the flue.

Neat idea...

Oh Chief... the commissioners are gonna love you! A couple of bottles of Windex and some baggies from the A&P and you're in business! Think of how much money you'll save out of this year's equipment budget! ;)