Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

Marine Unit Personnel Qualifications

9 posts in this topic

The other threads about marine units got me thinking about this. I am in Northern Westchester so we don't have any dedicated "marine" units around. What qualifications do members need to operate on marine units such as the ones in the hudson river?

All members of the Marine Unit in Tarrytown must have a minimum of First Aid, CPR, and USCG Boating Safety Certifications. In firefighting operations, members who are entering another vessel for fire suppression, i.e. tug boat fire a year and a half ago, must be interior qualified within the department. We also have members who have been certified rescue swimmers, as well as several members who are EMT's. Members train regular on the equipment on the vessel, such as the FLIR system, fire suppression equipment, and rescue equipment, to name a few.

Edited by gpdexplorer

The marine patrol deputies from the Orange County Sheriff's Office ("Marine 80") are all USCG certified, and all are EMT's. In addition they must pass a physical fitness and swimming qualification each year.

Does the USCG Boating Safety Certification expire? I got mine when my family had a boat but that was around ten years ago and I have not been out of a pleasure craft in at least 5 years.

ok does any of the marine units take basic and advance marine fire fighting at the US Navy training center in NJ?

One of the most frequently overlooked requirements is the ability of a member to actually swim. I am a strong believer that anyone operating on/near/in the water in an official capacity should be able to pass an annual swim test including boat operators. We developed two versions. The basic swim test is designed for anyone operating in an "operational" capacity including dive tenders, boat operators, etc. The advanced swim test (the IADRS version which NFPA adopted) is given to anyone operating at the technician level (swiftwater or SCUBA). The physical requirements required of members participating on a water rescue team are very different than many other tasks first responders encounter.

Boat operators also need to go through proper training for the vessels that they will be operating - especially in a rescue mode. Rescue boat operations are extremely dangerous and personnel need to have the proper training/equipment to do the job. Just as no one should be driving a fire truck without the proper training, no one should be operating a boat without the proper training (regardless of size, design or horsepower). Just having a USCG safety certificate does not constitute proper training of a marine rescue boat (any recreational boater in CT is required to have one).

I would also stress that Department's need to evaluate their specific capabilities. Just because you may have a boat and cold water suits doesn't necessarily make a water rescue team or marine unit. I see many Departments using the "ice commander" suits as a one-type-fits-all suit - they have very specific limitations and people need to be aware of them. If you are calling for mutual aid, be specific in what you need and know what you are getting.

helicopper likes this

Well... I go to SUNY Maritime and the Chief Hospital Corpsman. EVERYONE in the school who is in the regiment and studying to become a USCG licensed Third Mate or Third Engineer, goes through both MSC Basic Shipboard Firefighting and MSC Advanced Shipboard firefighting. I've gone through both and currently in FF1, and I can say the on-land and at-sea firefighting are like two fraternal twins. On a ship or small vessel like a tug or a powerboat you need to also understand the concept of ship stability, all the water you pump to put on the fire has to go somewhere and thus adds weight. Where as on land, too much water is never an issue. If a room is about to flashover on-land you can escape out a window wheres at sea escaping from the fire is putting your lifeboats over the side and waving the ship goodbye.

In my department you need to be approved by the chief, FF1, USCG Safe Boating certificate, and just have basic seamanship skills, (common sense) Soo i hope that helps. If anyone has any more questions about Military Sealift Command fire training or shipboard stuff in general just ask or pm, i go to college to learn how to put out fires on ships.

efdcapt115 likes this

All members of the Marine Unit in Tarrytown must have a minimum of First Aid, CPR, and USCG Boating Safety Certifications. In firefighting operations, members who are entering another vessel for fire suppression, i.e. tug boat fire a year and a half ago, must be interior qualified within the department. We also have members who have been certified rescue swimmers, as well as several members who are EMT's. Members train regular on the equipment on the vessel, such as the FLIR system, fire suppression equipment, and rescue equipment, to name a few.

Ossining has the same qualifications for the marine unit.

Can someone tell me how one becomes a certified rescue swimmer including the actual swim requirements?

Thanks