Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tunaFish

Aid to Haiti

45 posts in this topic

I think the C-5's at Stewart are more than capable of flying a USAR team to Haiti. Assuming the runway is still entirely intact.

Edited by ny10570

Stewart can handle it, trust me. That place is huge. There are several C-5s and C-130s there that would be able to load up. Not sure if there are any C-141s.

C141s are not part of the USAF inventory any longer, replaced with the C17. Biggest aircraft I have seen at Port a Prince has been a C17

I find it hard to belive that we are sending non military personal to Hati, MSN has reports of groups of young men lotting and roaming the streets with weapons. I do understand that this is a poor country and these people have nothing and now have less but what is going to happen when 1 of our rescue workers comes under attack for a bottle of water. This country was run by warlords before this tradgey. I hope all members of the FDNY and NYPD stay safe and return soon

efdcapt115 likes this

Stewart can handle it, trust me. That place is huge. There are several C-5s and C-130s there that would be able to load up. Not sure if there are any C-141s.

Stewart's runway is over 10,000 feet long and C-5's and C-130's land there routinely. In fact, C-5's are based there.

As for where the NYC USAR deploys from, don't forget JFK. The runways there can almost certainly accommodate them too.

Stewart's runway is over 10,000 feet long and C-5's and C-130's land there routinely. In fact, C-5's are based there.

As for where the NYC USAR deploys from, don't forget JFK. The runways there can almost certainly accommodate them too.

They did use Stewart.

They did use Stewart.

I'm all for the American resources helping with the rescue effort, BUT dont we have enough problems on American soil like the price of Diesel and housing and dont forget bailing out the Auto industry "cause that worked?". What has Hati done here in this country what provide wicker baskets. Put the shoe on the other foot, What would they do for America??. Dont wait for your bailout systems cause spending One Hundred million is more important helping ANOTHER COUNTRY AND NOT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AGAIN.

REMEMBER WE LIVE IN AMERICA

BORN FREE TAXED TO DEATH

jd783 likes this

I'm all for the American resources helping with the rescue effort, BUT dont we have enough problems on American soil like the price of Diesel and housing and dont forget bailing out the Auto industry "cause that worked?". What has Hati done here in this country what provide wicker baskets. Put the shoe on the other foot, What would they do for America??. Dont wait for your bailout systems cause spending One Hundred million is more important helping ANOTHER COUNTRY AND NOT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AGAIN.

BORN FREE TAXED TO DEATH

Is your argument, we, the most powerful nation in the world, should withhold aid from impoverished nations, because they can't do the same for us??? (Aside from "provid[ing] wicker baskets?)

I just hope the $100 million will not be given to the Hatian government(or lack thereof) to spend as they see fit!

BORN FREE TAXED TO DEATH

OMG, Whoa..."Glad to be an American, where at least I know I'm free..." Read the lyrics. Sheeesh

The Brothers and Sisters of L.A. County Fire Dept. USAR-2 rescue a victim and are cheered with the chant of U.S.A., by Haitian onlookers. Unofficial death toll reported to be 200,000.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch;

Texas team preparing for Haiti mission told to stand down

By DALE LEZON HOUSTON CHRONICLE

Jan. 18, 2010

A Texas search and rescue team and other similar units mobilized to help earthquake victims in Haiti have been told they are not needed.

Members of Texas Task Force 1 have been on standby in Houston since Thursday to head to the devastated island nation.

But the United Nations mission in the country has declared the search and rescue teams already in the nation are sufficient to handle to the task and the Texas team and others prepared to deploy would not be needed.

The Texas unit, which has been on standby at Ellington Field in southeast Houston, was made up of 80 members including doctors and engineers. Four dogs were also part of the team.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/6821324.html

I just hope the $100 million will not be given to the Hatian government(or lack thereof) to spend as they see fit!

In the past 10 years more than $4bn has gone to rebuild communities and infrastructure devastated by hurricanes, floods and landslides, but mismanagement, lack of coordination and attempts by global institutions to use Haiti as a neo-liberal economic testbed are widely believed to have frustrated all efforts. A foreign debt of $1.5bn has weighed down the economy. Last year, the government paid $79m to service debt, but received under half that to support schools, health and transport. The danger is that money expected to pour in to rebuild the shattered state will be again misappropriated by an elite, or serve to further undermine the government

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/14/haiti-reconstruction-development-aid

Came across this piece of video while looking for info on Miami/Dade Fire Rescue. It's dated January 17th. I remember how this topic came up on BRAVO after the earthquake and what we were all thinking and posting about in this thread.

Seems like a long time ago.

I keep thinking about Haiti, because in my location here in Florida, I checked a world distances map and found this spot is 750 miles to Haiti. A days drive if you could. 150,000 people killed. American flags flying right here on the island of Upper Matecumbe. So close, yet so far. A world away. How does one comprehend 150,000 people killed in a disaster?

Fire departments in Westchester get a fire with ONE fatality and it's big news, as it should be. Two 10-45s one confirmed in the Brooklyn 2nd alarm Incident Alert Beta. Very sad news, yet something we can comprehend. And the humanity of our system, and the value we place as a society on each other. Emergency services protecting and caring for all. The story quotes a firefighter who stated "there is ONLY ONE fire station for the entire city of Port-au-Prince."

One fire station for 150,000 dead.

So this video is just one snipet of the ongoing situation, and it's dated material already. But the Rock Star guy has some good information that he shares about the USAR situation and the camp at the airport for apparently 48 teams, how they worked side by side with some other countries' personel and such. A firefighter has family in Haiti and gives a heartfelt thanks to his fellow responders. I don't know much about the organization that put this together, so that's it.

http://browardnetonline.com/2010/01/south-florida-rescue-team-returns-from-haiti-after-rescuing-four-survivors/

Edited by efdcapt115