Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Portsmouth OH Fire Buff

Over The Top?

27 posts in this topic

Ive seen it on youtube and didnt think it was real. Amazing how this thing is, LEDs, Speakers, Sirens its amazing! 4 Q sirens its awesome, any Future FF's or kids perfect loking apparatus, but it looks like it drains 2 batteries every run it gets.

Mount Horeb Squad 1

Wow.. Just Wow..

Well put...you have got to be kidding me!!! If my departments apparatus looked anything like those...I would where a brown bag over my head while riding them to calls. I am happy they use the money they have to make themselves and their trucks look pretty pathetic.

IIRC it does not have 4 Q sirens. The two on the front of the bumper are just covers for the electronic siren speakers. Still too much stuff for me.

According to one of my buff friends, only two of those "Q's" are real, the other 2 are covers only.

But yes, a little ridiculous. Much the same as those rigs using TRAIN HORNS.

Perfect?

Young FF's and "kids"...take a good look at ridiculous. I wonder if they put any thought process it to how it has to be used?

If 1 siren won't do it...adding more won't either.

Is bigger really better?? One can only hope that their training is as good as the apparatus looks.

Did anyone else see something seriously wrong in the ladder pictures?

BIGRED1 likes this

There is a little Wizard sitting in the jump seat who presses four siren buttons with his feet, uses a theater lighting board with his hands, and pulls two bell cords with his teeth....a seal operates the air horns....

Aside from the children standing on top of the aerial as it rolls down the street?

FiftyOnePride likes this

Over the top? YES without a doubt. I don't know how they purchase their apparatus funding wise but this is ridiculous. It looksi stupid as hell. Based on info I have gotten over the years a "Q" has a 90 amp draw so 2 of them equals 180 amps, how big is the alternator on this rig. MOney could have been well spent elsewhere like my esteemed colleague firecapt 32 said regarding training.

EFD, Thats it!

Edited by TL2L31

EFD, Thats it!

It's OK - they have a ambulance the size of a heavy rescue to transport all injuries.

Edited by FFEMTPD72

Would we be referring to the picture with everyone riding on top of the ladder?!?

Based on info I have gotten over the years a "Q" has a 90 amp draw so 2 of them equals 180 amps, how big is the alternator on this rig.

Most likely they have 2 if not more alternators. One for just the 2 Q's at minimum

Would we be referring to the picture with everyone riding on top of the ladder?!?

Thats the one

The kid in the front seat is not wearing a seat belt? :D Or that whole "whats the worst that can happen" thing going on up top on the ladder.

I tried to do a search for the Mount Horeb truck as it was discussed here before on the forums but I couldn't find it. But again, a waste of a lot of money on all that emergency warning equipment. And as I said before that truck has to be an electrical nightmare!!! There is no reason to have duplicates of sirens, and over abundance of lights. Hell I don't want to go deaf and blind when I see it then crash into it because it made me deaf and blind!!

Look at the other trucks on there it you think that is bad..

There Website

Just wondering if this is an early april fools joke? The entire department seems a bit absurd if their apparatus are reflective of the department as a whole... worst of all is that ambulance... is it really an ambulance or they just throw the patient into a large rear compartment? Hate to be part of the public fitting that diesel bill.

Nope no April fools joke, saw a photo on Flickr and spotted the website in the bottom right and shared it with you guys.

Nope no April fools joke, saw a photo on Flickr and spotted the website in the bottom right and shared it with you guys.

I visited the website today, all of the equipment is over the top.. What exactly in the middle of Wisconsin requires that much warning.. Are they scaring the Cows to provide the milk???

On a somber side note:

A notice on the homepage posted today @ 1500 indicated Chief Charles Himmel passed away this morning at age 67, Member since 1965, Chief since 1978..

May he rest in peace...

Sad end to this story from "The Secret List"

Hey,

It is with deep sadness that I pass on to you that Mount Horeb (WI) Fire Chief Charles "Chuck" Himsel

passed away very suddenly this morning. While some of you may/may not know Chuck, odd's are, if you are an apparatus buff, you know him or at least his beloved and very unique Mount Horeb Volunteer Fire Department, in Wisconsin.

Clearly, "Fire Truck Chuck" was one of a kind who was born and died as a Firefighter. Some people in our business LOVE being a Firefighter-24/7/365-and that was Chuck. One who would never have a problem telling you how he felt about literally anything, he was most proud of his department, the Firefighters and EMT's of Mount Horeb. His enthusiasm and love of being a Firefighter was infectious and the incredible "high visibility black" MHVFD apparatus and their firehouse (literally a living museum of antique fire memorabilia, a huge toy fire engine collection, vintage fire fighting equipment, framed prints and original paintings) was unlike most have ever seen. (Photo links below)

Chief Himsel and the Mount Horeb FD was even featured world wide in the popular Duluth Trading Company catalog a few years ago. Check this out: http://tinyurl.com/yzr9rp6

We'll pass on more details when we have them-but in the meantime, please enjoy the below links.

Chief Chuck Himsel lived and breathed 24/7 as a Firefighter (following in his Dad's footsteps as Chief, his Dad serving from 1960-1978 and Chuck from 1978 until today) and beamed with pride whenever someone would visit his department, see the firehouse, the equipment and especially meet his members-amongst the best trained and gung ho anywhere. The motto of the MHVFD is "Share in The Pride" - they do and he did.

Rest In Peace Fire Chief Chuck Himsel, Mount Horeb, Wisconsin.

Take Care,

BillyG

The Secret List 2-1-10 / 1554 Hours

www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com

Mount Horeb VFD WEBSITE: http://www.fdmh.org/

Mount Horeb's Heavy Squad: http://fire-engine-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/6215.jpg

These are Ambulances-Not Squads: http://www.fdmh.org/id7.html

Mount Horeb Engine 4:

Mount Horeb Heavy Squad Video: