Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

Good Samaratan FInds Bomb Brings It To Firehouse

15 posts in this topic

Pipe Bomb Closes California Fire Station

It took two hours for a bomb squad to detonate the device brought to the station.

SANTA CRUZ, Calif.

http://www.firehouse...station-2-hours

Picking up what I thought was a bomb wouldn't be my first idea. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Edited by jack10562
Source Copyight Notice

Picking up what I thought was a bomb wouldn't be my first idea. Anyone have any similar experiences?

walk away and call the police lets pick it up and bring it to the place where if it blows the firefighters cant help you HELLO and y the hell would you pick it up this has to be the #1 dumb a**

walk away and call the police lets pick it up and bring it to the place where if it blows the firefighters cant help you HELLO and y the hell would you pick it up this has to be the #1 dumb a**

The FD in town had a civilian bring in a jar of crystalized ether and gave to the guy sitting watch. He didn't have clue one what crystalized ether was or what it could do so he brought it up to the deputy chief's office. They ended up relocated the apparatus for a couple of hours while the bomb squad removed the jar and brought to to a local dump for detonation.

Every once in a while some PD will find crystalized ether in the evidence locker. Mosdt of the time they don't know how dangerous it is either. Ignorance is bliss.

While doing routine inspections, our guys found a military rocket in aa basement storeroom of 6 story OMD..

Small rocket...probably would have only made it to the 4th floor.

efdcapt115 likes this

On a hot summer day at station 1 in New Rochelle, a van pulled up in front. 2 men got out and said that they had just filled the gas tank and were driving around awhile when the gas tank started to make a hissing sound and they smelled gas. So they drove for about 5 minutes to the fire station. The part of the story they left out was that the gas tank was a propane tank. The van was filling up with propane while they drove around. Lucky they parked under a tree and the shade was enough to cool the van before we approached. Opened the van and remove the tank and told them to come back at night to get the tank. The guy in the passenger seat then stated that after they got the propane tank filled, they were looking for a place to buy cigarettes !!!!!

While doing routine inspections, our guys found a military rocket in aa basement storeroom of 6 story OMD..

Small rocket...probably would have only made it to the 4th floor.

Should have put it in the truck. Would have come in handy for roof ventilation.....

These people have NO IDEA that they RUINED a GREAT LUNCH PLAN at the firehouse!

Oh, so you have a bomb eh?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=508_1266295805

Edit: Better put in this disclaimer, the video is graphic, and obviously NOT the way to handle "good samaratans" who bring bombs to firehouses.....unless you have a prime rib roast in the meat spinner....nah, don't do it anyway.

Edited by efdcapt115
ny10570 likes this

These people have NO IDEA that they RUINED a GREAT LUNCH PLAN at the firehouse!

Oh, so you have a bomb eh?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=508_1266295805

Edit: Better put in this disclaimer, the video is graphic, and obviously NOT the way to handle "good samaratans" who bring bombs to firehouses.....unless you have a prime rib roast in the meat spinner....nah, don't do it anyway.

I must be getting jaded in my old age. I didn't think it as graphic at all. Life Lesson #1: Don't screw with a Marine(s).

Edited by NJMedic

I wouldn't necessarily say the guy is a Dumb @$$ for what he did, no different that the actualy FIREFIGHTERS who brought a device into the firehouse a few years ago. Sometimes people just don't know any better. Just remember, ignorance, stupidity, all that stuff=Job Security!!!

As a former Military EOD Tech, there's more than a few stories. I was getting ready to do the walk for a suspicious device in our base ops building, dearmer in hand when I was told to come back to the squad. When I got there I was told a Security Policeman had opened the bag. When I asked him about it he stated "well, my dog didn't alert on it"...

Later while at that base, I was sent with another Tech for a reported practice bomb. 33 pounder with a smoke charge in it. We got onscene and the deputy stated "I tried to pull it out of the ground". The thing was 75% covered by clay, basically just able to see the lug nuts and tail.

There's reports all the time of people clearing out their parents home after they've passed and found grenades or other military ordnance that the father saved as a souvenir thinking it was inert (a dummy in other words) and taking it to the local police or fire station so it can be taken care of, and to everyone's surprise except either the bomb squad or EOD team it was actually a live round...

Stories of civilians and emergency services personnel alike using "questionable judgement" when handling or responding to suspicious package or possible hazardous devices calls abound.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that people get complacent and/or apathetic, or are inadequately trained or supervised, or just don't think about the "what if" factor.

You can't blame the civilian as they only do what they think is right for what they are experiencing. They have no training or other stimulus in their brain to guide them to an appropriate action. Unlike as someone mentioned, colleagues who do even stupider, things.

1. Someone was right when they said don't f*(K with Marines.

2. Kujo I now know what is wrong with you. lol. Speaking of don't mess with Marines, EOD and some of my experiences....

Often like Kujo stated during training some ordinance doesn't detonate, especially with CBU's (cluster bomblets). At times EOD would be "tied up" at other requests, or sleeping to calm their nerves and their response ETA didn't fit into your operational time table. So...most often this would be handled by ghetto EOD which comprised of me or the other Forward Observer or Forward Air Controller to drop more ordinance in the area to then ensure it either detonated or disintegrated. :)

efdcapt115 likes this

How often do people walk into a police station with what might be a bomb or an old military explosive device they've found? I know here it has happened more than once.

http://www.firehouse...station-2-hours

Here's the scenario:

Odor of gasoline in a 2 story garden apartment with garages underneath on Side C. Source traced to a garage which was the Super's maintensnce garage. The fuel line of a snowblower broke and leaked fuel on the floor. What we saw was a fuel-soaked pile of kitty litter or oilsorb under the snowblower.

Here's the conversation:

Me; Ya know, it's OK to soak up the fuel, but you gotta bag up the kitty litter and get it out of the building.

Super: That's not kitty litter

Me: OK oil sorb,whatever

Supt: No, it's that stuff you put on the grass

Me:Fertilizer?

Supt: Yeah

Me: WTF

OK you EOD guys, what was that, ANFO's Redneck Cousin?

BFD1054 and x635 like this

Here's the scenario:

Odor of gasoline in a 2 story garden apartment with garages underneath on Side C. Source traced to a garage which was the Super's maintensnce garage. The fuel line of a snowblower broke and leaked fuel on the floor. What we saw was a fuel-soaked pile of kitty litter or oilsorb under the snowblower.

Here's the conversation:

Me; Ya know, it's OK to soak up the fuel, but you gotta bag up the kitty litter and get it out of the building.

Super: That's not kitty litter

Me: OK oil sorb,whatever

Supt: No, it's that stuff you put on the grass

Me:Fertilizer?

Supt: Yeah

Me: WTF

OK you EOD guys, what was that, ANFO's Redneck Cousin?

all he needed was the Ryder truck and it's off to OKC...