Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

Yonkers Budget Issues

33 posts in this topic

http://www.lohud.com/article/20100225/NEWS02/2250370/Amicone--Budget-cuts-for-Yonkers-will--hurt-a-lot-

"When we cut further — and we will — those cuts will hurt and they will hurt a lot," Amicone said. "They'll hurt because we will have no choice but to cut in areas of the municipal budget that can produce real savings, again: police, fire and public works. And this year, you can add education to that list."

How fast he forgets. He could do alot of cost savings in his office alone. Boy has he changed.

INIT, you beat me to you. I watched part of Mayor Amicones State of the City address and couldnt help but to think of the brothers and sisters in the YFD and YPD.

The strength of the YFD brotherhood got them through the last rounds of lay-offs, i can only hope that they are as lucky this time. The Mayor seemed very stern and direct in his speech. I think we can all agree that Fire, Police, Public Works & Education should be LAST to be cut, but its never the way.

I may be naive and ignorant, but the Mayor placed the fault of the Citys ways on the State and its cuts to education. I can see how this would affect teachers and the schools, but what does that have to do with emergency services?

Ive said it before and ill say it again; im sure there are many other areas that could be cut without touching emergency services and education. Its a damn shame that when a municipality encounters financial woes, they want to cut the most important jobs.

Best wishes to all members of ALL agencies that may be affected.

How fast he forgets. He could do alot of cost savings in his office alone. Boy has he changed.

KCRD...my thoughts exactly! Im sure there are plenty of non-essential posts in City Hall that could be cut. But god forbid.

Best of luck to you guys!

I may be naive and ignorant, but the Mayor placed the fault of the Citys ways on the State and its cuts to education. I can see how this would affect teachers and the schools, but what does that have to do with emergency services?

The problem here is that the school side has its own budget and the other side is municipal. When the schools are shorted, he takes from municipal, and gives it to the schools. Also, school cuts can't happen until end of school year. Municipal cuts can happen when are needed.

I hope the City does not take the Local's "kindness" (solidarity and Brotherhood) for weakness. ......

Why isn't the school district independent of the City?

And second...

He cited ongoing construction at Ridge Hill Village, a $900 million project that will begin generating $25 million for the city when it opens in 2011. He also praised the opening last year of two new hotels, the ongoing $300 million makeover for Cross County Shopping Center and the start of construction at the $125 million Elizabeth Seton Pediatric Center.

He's banking on money that's not there yet. Isn't that how (the Cities of) New Rochelle and Yonkers got themeselves in a jam? If people can't afford to pay their taxes and are getting laid off, where does he expect all this revenue to come from?

And, as proven last year, crime will continue to spike and the gangs will take over Yonkers. Also, the already dangerous enough fire-prone structures in Yonkers, endangering both citizens and firefighters.

He's just trying to scare the union since their in negotiations. Otherwise, he seems contradicts himself significantly with his optimisim? He's painting a doomsday and happy day scenario on the same canvas.

He's just trying to scare the union since their in negotiations. Otherwise, he seems contradicts himself significantly with his optimisim? He's painting a doomsday and happy day scenario on the same canvas.

Dind, ding, ding. You win the prize. Contract neg are coming up and thats exactly what he trying to do.

The school district is a seperate budget, but it doesn't the taxing ability like other places. They submit a budget to the mayor and than he finds a way to fund it. Usually it comes from municipal side or "one-shot" deal from the state.

The Yonkers 'Doomsday' budget came out today (again). Without state aid, the mayor says 900 workers will be laid off- 500 Police, Fire, DPW:

http://www.lohud.com/article/20100304/NEWS02/3040409/Yonkers-mayor--City-faces-900+-layoffs-or-35-percent-tax-hike-without-more-state-aid

900 layoffs? That's CRAZY!

The nightmare is further described in a presentation on the City of Yonkers website...

http://www.cityofyonkers.com/Index.aspx?page=29&recordid=667

Saks Fifth Avenue pulls out

of new Yonkers mall

YONKERS — Saks Fifth Avenue no longer intends to

move into the Ridge Hill Village retail-shopping

complex under construction off Interstate 87.

And from what I hear, they are not the only retailer considering pulling out. Ridge Hill will save Yonkers!! [/sarcasm] Maybe this will wake them up and stop betting on money that doesn't exist yet and come up with a real future master plan.....oh wait, that would make sense.

And I love how they are specifically going after the Fire and Police unions and making them out to be the evil greedy bad guys who bankrupted the city..when they dont even make enough to live in Westchester comfortably!!!....disgraceful!

How many firefighters and chiefs total are there for yonkers?

How many firefighters and chiefs total are there for yonkers?

Not enough

Would the closing of the two fire stations mean laying off personel, or are there enough opens spots for those firefighters to be reassigned?

Last year he talked about moving TL75 to Station 14 and disbanding Ladder 70. Now he is talking about closing 2 fire stations. Does anyone within YFD know specifically what 2 stations he is looking to close (would they close stations that just run 1 company out of it, like Engine 310 or Engine 308). This is absolutely stupid. YFD is expecting to take delivery in the next couple of weeks on the New Engine 309, Squad 11, Ladder 72, Engine 306 and Engine 308. Now the city wants to close 2 Fire Stations (Maybe they are just talking about closing the stations and moving the companies to other quarters to save money). Again, if anyone "in the know" has any information to share that would be greatly appreciated

Close TWO fire houses? I have a lot of family in Yonkers and that's total B.S.! It wasn't too long ago that there was talk of opening a much needed firehouse somewhere having to do with Ridgehill, guess that's not needed anymore...

For a city of 200,000 and filled with NFP buildings, they're undermanned as it is. To top things off, the South West corner is filled with tightly arranged rows of century old housing, much of which is not in particularly good shape. Does anyone remember the 6th alarm in Queens last year? Wind whipped fire through attached rows spanning most of a block. How about last weekend's 7th alarm fire in Chinatown? Conditions in Yonkers are ripe for this type of fire and they've had them in the past. I can remember a couple of 10 alarm fires from several years ago. These cuts will be very dangerous. Best of luck to you guys, stay safe.

Would the closing of the two fire stations mean laying off personel, or are there enough opens spots for those firefighters to be reassigned?

The way he is talking at the moment, its 44 ff that would recieve pink slips.

44 layoffs in the Fire Department, 51 Police officers plus the elimination of 40 vacant positions, total of 91. That would cut manning levels in all PCTs.

Close TWO fire houses? I have a lot of family in Yonkers and that's total B.S.! It wasn't too long ago that there was talk of opening a much needed firehouse somewhere having to do with Ridgehill, guess that's not needed anymore...

For a city of 200,000 and filled with NFP buildings, they're undermanned as it is. To top things off, the South West corner is filled with tightly arranged rows of century old housing, much of which is not in particularly good shape. Does anyone remember the 6th alarm in Queens last year? Wind whipped fire through attached rows spanning most of a block. How about last weekend's 7th alarm fire in Chinatown? Conditions in Yonkers are ripe for this type of fire and they've had them in the past. I can remember a couple of 10 alarm fires from several years ago. These cuts will be very dangerous. Best of luck to you guys, stay safe.

How about the 4th Alarm on Elliott Avenue just a couple of weeks ago? If it weren't for the fast response of the currently understaffed YFD, it could have been a whole block that went!

No matter which two houses they close, the residents of Yonkers will suffer.

On the police side, they're already feeling the affects of the cuts to special details like bike and foot patrols. Robberies and assaults are way up and it will only get worse.

Perhaps the mayor should downsize the staff in City Hall?

Perhaps the mayor should downsize the staff in City Hall?

He did. By 1. What a joke.

Any truth to the rumor I hear YFD Lieutenants

are being demoted to Firefighters?

How does the union feel about this?

Any truth to the rumor I hear YFD Lieutenants

are being demoted to Firefighters?

How does the union feel about this?

The police and fire departments are facing devastating cuts (91 in the PD and 44 in the FD as of now). I think it is safe to say that this will result in demotions (again) and other reassignments. :(

IF you or any other EMT Brave Members have friends or family in Yonkers, we would appreciate all the support that can be mustered in the way of phone calls and letters to elected officials. These days it seems that all the politicians are hearing is why are Cops and Firefighters making so much money and why are there so many of them? People are hurting economically and we are being looked at to take a big hit and I guess, in their eyes, solve all the problems. Problem is, on the Fire Department side, we are already undermanned, we all worked a day for free last year, and July 1 we will be finishing a full year with no contract and no raise and beginning a second year with no raise, so what is there to give back???

The actual numbers proposed tentatively by the Mayor on the Fire Department side are elimination of 2 Chief Positions, 6 Captain positions, 22 Lieutenant positions, and 14 Firefighter positions, which, due to bumping rights will result in demotion of 2 Chiefs, 8 Captains, 30 Lieutenants and layoff of 44 Firefighters. Maybe a bit less than that due to a couple of retirements. According to the Mayor, these numbers could go either up or down, depending on what happens with tax revenues, state aid, or union givebacks (unlikely at this time).

So, we can use all the help we can get. Public opinion really does matter. As far as what companies will be closing no word yet.

Also, I won't be getting into answering questions or debating any of this on here. I just wanted to supply the actual numbers as they stand right now and ask for help.

Thanks and of course, qtip, I still don't.

Thanks Chief Flynn. With relatives and friends still living in Yonkers, their fears are that Home Owner Insurance Rates will rise because of this. Let's hope that the City does not have to go through what it did back in 1976 when Rescue 1, Engine 1, Engine 2 and Ladder 11 were all disbanded because of budget cuts. It took 25 years to get Rescue 1 back in service. Keep those letters to the City Executives coming !!!

Chief Flynn have they cut the manning on the companies. I see you said the currently understaffed YFD. If you could / would please advise what the staffing is now on the unit's.

Thanks

Chief Flynn have they cut the manning on the companies. I see you said the currently understaffed YFD. If you could / would please advise what the staffing is now on the unit's.

Thanks

Things are status quo until July 1 which is the start of the new fiscal year- for now we have 18 Companies staffed by an Officer and 3 Firefighters each, 2 Battalions staffed by a Battalion Chief and Aide, Safety Unit staffed by Battalion Chief or a Captain. Very minimal administrative and support staff during the day Monday thru Friday. The cuts coming July 1 could be drastic so please, if people on this site truly believe the YFD shouldn't be cut, pass the word to friends and relatives in Yonkers and ask them to write letters to the Mayor and Council people, call them, and attend town hall and other civic meetings and speak up. We lost a beloved member last year and on a daily basis our guys are out there making a difference...any cuts will most certainly have an impact on lives and property lost and will demoralize our proud and professional membership.

The General Public does NOT understand what it takes to fight a serious building fire and the duties that must be performed within a very short period of time. Each and every firefighter assigned to a company, whether they are first or second due is vitally needed. Unfortunately, in the nature of this Fire Dept business, espically a city like Yonkers, there just isn't any way to do it without the proper manning and apparatus to arrive in a timely manner. Somebody has to hook up the hydrant line. Others have to stretch hose, sometimes up several flights of stairs. Locked doors have to be forced and apartments searched. Windows and roofs have to be vented. Opening a roof is very diffucult and dangerous. Somebody has to stay outside and pump the truck. Searches have to be done on the floor about the fire and sometimes another line has to be stretched to this floor above. Ladders may have to be raised and people in danger rescued.

These are some of the chores that MUST be done very quickly to prevent the fire from spreading, and more importantly to effect a rescue of seriously trapped building occupants. If there is any Political Wizard that can show us how to do these important essential duties within a very short time, with only a handful of firefighters, or companies coming from longer various parts of the city, then he/she needs to explain themselves. But, so far from what I've seen, Every Firefighter Counts.

Political Leaders and Civilians need to know just what it takes to save lives and protect property from fire. Every building doesn't have sprinklers and people still make mistakes that cause fires. And then there is the Arsonist who sometimes want to injure people.

These are just a few points that your local politician or citizen need to be aware of before cutting the Yonkers Fire Dept or any other Fire Dept.

2 Chief Positions, 6 Captain positions, 22 Lieutenant positions, and 14 Firefighter positions, which, due to bumping rights will result in demotion of 2 Chiefs, 8 Captains, 30 Lieutenants and layoff of 44 Firefighters.

WOW...SPEECHLESS!!!