Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Where's Your Hydrant?

18 posts in this topic

In weather as extreme as some are experiencing, what is your department doing to locate and/or dig out hydrants?

Does any department try and mobilize the commmunity to "adopt" hydrants during these storms? Also, who is responsible in your district for clearing the hydrant?

I searched the city codes for Peekskill and was surprised to see that it isn't addressed, (although it might be addressed by the county or state which could explain this omission).

Growing up elsewhere; we were all made aware as kids that: 1-You were responsible to clear the sidewalk in front of your house, 2- If anyone got hurt because you didn't, it's your fault and liability, and 3- If there is a hydrant there, you are responsible to keep it clear and accessible.

Most of the homes on my block are owner occupied and this generally adds a stronger sense responsibility. The hydrant closest to our house is cared for by former Volly who owns the home it is in front of.

We are lucky. Many aren't so lucky and this should be addressed in the City code if it isn't, by the county or State. Without being held responsible, many people simply wont be.

Seth, good question.

Jim, nice points.

I must say that not enough people care. Hell, if I owned a house I'd make damn sure the hydrants were cleared. When I was growing up, I'd always shovel out the hydrants on my street.

I feel that it should be up to the property owner. After all, aren't there discounts on home insurance when you have a hydrant on your property (Bnechis am I correct)?

In the past during big storms, my FD has gone out and dug out hydrants.

Working in and for the Village, I'm fortunate enough to know where most hydrants are. If you know their locations, the snow shouldn't matter.

We have maltese crosses painted on the pavement pointing out hydrant locations. In my opinion, this is useless, especially during the snow. But even when the streets are clear, you can not see these until you're on top of them.

efdcapt115 likes this

After shoveling my driveway, I went two houses up the block and dug out the hydrant. :)

As far as I know if a Fire Hydrant is on your property, you are responsible to clean out the hydrant and if it is on a non owned property the fire department handles it. But I have done it before, if you need it now you just slide you feet across the ground and clean it.

Thomas

The reason I ask, I remember when I worked in Hartsdale,we'd have to dig out hydrants. One day after a very wet snowstorm that iced up, myself and a 30+ year vetran of the department shoveled out all the hydrants on North Central Ave. It was exhausting, the other FF I was with kept pace with me though! We even had a metal detector that was mounted on a big yellow pole to find hydrants in snowbanks....it worked every time except in the large snowbank we had to dig out by the Chiefs house.......lol. Central Ave was a workout especially since DOT cleared 3 lanes of snow at once onto the hydrant!

I also remember as a volunteer in Ardsley we would go around shoveling out hydrants.

In both districts, we rented the hydrants from the water company as well as bought the water from them...so I'm suprised that it wouldn't be the water departments responsiblity, especially since they are responsible for hydrant maintainence.

I would always shovel out the hydrant near my parents house growing up...something my dad tought me.

Some communties I've seen have active "Adopt A Hydrant" programs, never saw any in Westchester area though. Also, here in Texas, we have a blue reflector bump thing in the roadway parallel to every hydrant....if you are coming down the road in the engine you can clearly see where the hydrants are especially at night with headlights.

In weather as extreme as some are experiencing, what is your department doing to locate and/or dig out hydrants?

This is not just an issue for the winter.

post-4072-126723627711.jpg

Summer vegitation (can you find this one?)

post-4072-126723639362.jpg

Or a homeowner that wants to hide it by painting it (it was yellow).

Does any department try and mobilize the commmunity to "adopt" hydrants during these storms? Also, who is responsible in your district for clearing the hydrant?

We try to get property owners to "adopt" them as it is not realistic that we can clear more than 1,400 (plus privatly owned ones) in a timely manor. This is a great question, I say it is the owner of the hydrant, since the FD has to pay united water $970,000 a year for the privaledge of using them.

I feel that it should be up to the property owner. After all, aren't there discounts on home insurance when you have a hydrant on your property (Bnechis am I correct)?

The discount is based on it being within 1,000 feet (if the FD has LDH) or 500' if not and that it meets a predetermined fire flow for the area. They consider that it mus be "maintained" at all times.

I'm fortunate enough to know where most hydrants are. If you know their locations, the snow shouldn't matter.

The snow will still slow you down and drain manpower.

Edited by Bnechis

The reason I ask, I remember when I worked in Hartsdale,we'd have to dig out hydrants. One day after a very wet snowstorm that iced up, myself and a 30+ year vetran of the department shoveled out all the hydrants on North Central Ave. It was exhausting, the other FF I was with kept pace with me though! We even had a metal detector that was mounted on a big yellow pole to find hydrants in snowbanks....it worked every time except in the large snowbank we had to dig out by the Chiefs house.......lol. Central Ave was a workout especially since DOT cleared 3 lanes of snow at once onto the hydrant!

I also remember as a volunteer in Ardsley we would go around shoveling out hydrants.

In both districts, we rented the hydrants from the water company as well as bought the water from them...so I'm suprised that it wouldn't be the water departments responsiblity, especially since they are responsible for hydrant maintainence.

I would always shovel out the hydrant near my parents house growing up...something my dad tought me.

Some communties I've seen have active "Adopt A Hydrant" programs, never saw any in Westchester area though. Also, here in Texas, we have a blue reflector bump thing in the roadway parallel to every hydrant....if you are coming down the road in the engine you can clearly see where the hydrants are especially at night with headlights.

HFD also sends out a newsletter and the winter one usually mentions clearing your hydrant. We also ask local radio stations for a series of PSA's when they announce scjool closings, and they are usually cooperative. But, bottom line- our FF's shovel hydrants (unless a FF lives on the block)

In Mahopac Falls during such storms we take responsibilites for the dry hydrants in our distric and clear those... For the small area of Secor which has pressurized hydrants this is left more to the homeowner... though nobody here does it... I have one across the street and its never clear and most of the time blocked by the 21 y.o. daughter who parks her car there... idiots

New York State Law:

§ 15-205 Obstruction of fire hydrants. It shall be unlawful in any

manner to obstruct the use of any fire hydrant, or to allow any snow or

ice to be thrown or piled upon or around the same, or to place, or allow

to be placed, any material or thing in front thereof, from the curb line

to the center of the street and to within ten feet from either side

thereof. All snow and ice accumulating in the street, within such space,

shall be removed by the owner, lessee, or tenant of the premises

fronting such space. All material or things found obstructing any fire

hydrant may be forthwith removed by the officers or employees of the

department, at the risk, cost and expense, of the owner or claimant. The

provision of this section requiring that no thing shall be placed within

ten feet from either side of a fire hydrant shall not apply to any

newsstand which was first licensed by the department of consumer affairs

prior to the first day of August, nineteen hundred seventy-nine where

the person who held the license for such newsstand on the first day of

August, nineteen hundred ninety-one continues to be the licensee for

such newsstand; provided, however, that where a newsstand which was

first licensed prior to the first day of August, nineteen hundred

seventy-nine is reconstructed in its entirety or in substantial part,

which reconstruction was commenced on or after the first day of August,

nineteen hundred ninety-one, such newsstand shall be subject to such

requirement that no thing be placed within ten feet from either side of

a fire hydrant.

But, who listens to WFAS anymore really for school closings? Most people go to the web. Hopefully with the new Chief Hartsdale will acknoledge times have changed and maybe use current social media to get the message across, like a Facebook page, email list, etc.

HFD also sends out a newsletter and the winter one usually mentions clearing your hydrant. We also ask local radio stations for a series of PSA's when they announce scjool closings, and they are usually cooperative. But, bottom line- our FF's shovel hydrants (unless a FF lives on the block)

New Fairfield? FD shovels them out, fortunately most of our DPW crew has some relation to the FD and they don't bury them.

West Haven? FD shovels them out, good luck getting the local skells to shovel them for you.

Wallingford? Water department shovels them out, I do love my new department.... Haha.

Here, its a little bit of everything...Most home owners understand the importance of having them accessible to the FD for fires, than again others just dont care, until it happens to them ofcourse.

For those hydrants that are still covered we have a water dept in our DPW and they will drive around and look for the Hydrant Flags sticking up and dig them out with a back hoe and shovels.

I have also seen Explorers mount a community wide "Dig-Out" where they go around and dig them out than have hot chocolate at the station for all those who participated, even in the community. That is a nice thing to see and helos the explorers get themselves known.

I just dug out one of the hydrants here in the apartment complex I do the maintenance for, it was buried in over 13' of snow and ice from the plow guy. Atlease he helped me with his tractor.

But, who listens to WFAS anymore really for school closings? Most people go to the web. Hopefully with the new Chief Hartsdale will acknoledge times have changed and maybe use current social media to get the message across, like a Facebook page, email list, etc.

TV, RADIO, INTERNET, REVERSE 911. SEMAPHORE, SMOKE SIGNALS, OR FREE ONE-DAY PASS TO DISNEYWORLD. It doesn't matter how you ask. Only a small percentage of people will shovel out their hydrant. About the same percentage will shovel their snow onto the hydrant because it's a convenient place to put it.

efdcapt115 likes this

great hydrant, efdcapt, we have 4 members that can not hit that one... unless they plan on using a little giant ...

Great photo EFDCAPT115! Makes me happy to be standing 6 ft. 5! I have a hydrant directly across from my driveway that I often shovel out. Sometimes in the winter I will keep a small shovel in my car and when I see a hydrant that is obstructed by snow and I'll shovel it. Plus, more open access to hydrants = less dogs (or humans) urinating on the sidewalk! laugh.gif

The discount is based on it being within 1,000 feet (if the FD has LDH) or 500' if not and that it meets a predetermined fire flow for the area. They consider that it mus be "maintained" at all times.

Barry, thanks for clearing that up, i knew you'd have the facts.

The snow will still slow you down and drain manpower.

Barry, i was stating this in regards to knowing the hydrant locations. But youre absolutely right, even when you know where it is, if its buried, it will most definately slow you down.