Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SFRD49

Stamford Fire Rescue New R-1 Spyshots

18 posts in this topic

The new HME 18' walk-around heavy rescue for SFRD Rescue Co. #1 was completed on February 24th and inspected in Wyoming, MI. the same day. It will be shipped next week and then be outfitted. All drawers, shelving, and mounting will be completed by Twin Lights of Milford CT. The rig has a 400 hp Cummings engine, a 35 kW PTO generator, 6000W light tower, 9000 lbs. Ramsey removable winch, and lots of storage space. The current 2000 Freightliner / Hackney medium duty rescue will become Rescue #2. The current Rescue #2, a 1990 Mack / Ranger 20' walk-in rescue is slated to me transferred to another city agency. The new rescue will allow the company to carry more heavy rescue gear that is currently spread out between the rescue, tactical support unit (mini-bus), and the technical rescue trailer.

Stay safe,

SFRD49

Pat Tripodi

Captain SFRD

post-1729-126732610687.jpg

post-1729-126732612739.jpg

post-1729-126732615487.jpg

post-1729-126732618011.jpg

post-1729-126732619487.jpg

post-1729-126732624601.jpg

post-1729-126732626925.jpg

post-1729-126732628014.jpg

post-1729-126732629161.jpg

post-1729-126732631818.jpg

post-1729-126732674659.jpg

ant241 likes this

Nice looking rig, it will be nice to see it fully loaded and in service, GOOD LUCK with it...

Question - the roll up doors - how much interior head room of the compartment is used up ? right now we are looking into a new truck, and there are questions between roll up and swing open doors...

Question - picture # 6 - the stainless steel loop, this is for anchoring some type of rope system ? what were your thoughts or plans to use this ?

Great looking rig. Interesting to see a Rescue without the large bumper. Where is the winch? Best of luck with it.

Question - the roll up doors - how much interior head room of the compartment is used up ? right now we are looking into a new truck, and there are questions between roll up and swing open doors...

Not from Stamford, but our last two and likely all new apparatus will have roll-up doors. The overhead space taken up is about 14x14" on ours with a full height door(the taller the door the bigger the roll). In our case the space where this "drum" is, is not usable in much practical manner. The area is over 6 ft. from the ground and represents a shelf space that cannot be reached by all personnel. Using this space as part of the above coffin compartments is one possibility, but if the coffin floor is below the walking surface by much distance, it too becomes very hard to remove items from. So in our case, the benefits of the roll-ups were seen as far better than the swing outs that we've been damaging, not to mention the maintenance of hinges and latches, though time will tell on the roll ups.

Edited by antiquefirelt

The roll-up doors do take up space above the door (as antiquefirelt stated) and also limits access to the uppermost part of some of the compartments. The reality is that these are areas that one can't reach anyhow. I'm 6'2" and I can't reach up there. Those areas can be fitted with fixed equipment - In the L2 and R2 compartment that area holds 2 electrical reels, two air hose reels, and a large air tank to support the air reels. As we outfit the rig we are going to utilize as much of the space that we can.

Roll-up doors are the way to go by far. One disadvantage is that you lose the option of mounting gear on the inside of the door.

The coffin boxes are 15' x 24" x 22". We can carry a lot of equipment up there as well.

The stainless steel rings on each corner of the body are NFPA 1983 compliant anchor points.

As for the winch...it's a portable winch and there's a class III receiver (and power outlet) on each end and side of the rig. This receiver can also be use as a low anchor point when outfitted with an eye.

As things progress I'll post additional pics.

Stay safe!!!!

17 days to go!!!!

SFRD49

Captain, thanks for sharing these photos. Looks to be a well planned out rig and very well built. I happen to like certain walk-around rescues and this one is no exception. It seems as though you will have more than ample room for all of your equipment.

Dont know much about SFRD, but it seems that most of the fleet is HME. Is it safe to assume that you guys are happy with HME?

The HME fleet is doing well. There have been issues with them from time to time but no different from any other manufacturer. When R-1 goes online all first line companies will have HME apparatus except Truck #3 (2000 Sutphen midship 104' aerial) and Truck #1 (2009 Sutphen SPH 100 tower ladder.

The stainless steel rings on each corner of the body are NFPA 1983 compliant anchor points.

17 days to go!!!!

SFRD49

thanks for the infor, I thought they were anchor points, but was confused why they are so high ( they are at the top of the body right ? ) Have you found this is a better location for anchors then down lower, or do you plan on using then for certain operations ?

Or maybe...... the guy you have to operate those anchors, is the same guy who works efdcapt's 6 foot tall hydrant ? lol

Pat,

Good luck to you and the Brothers in Stamford with the new rig.

I am a bit suprised that SFRD did not go bigger. I mean with all of the Rescue disciplines you guys do there, and the extremely urban environment in which you guys run, I would have thought that a larger and more "beefy" rig would have been in order.

Is R2 going to remain equipped as a back up or will it be in service carrying specialized tools and equipment?

Anyway, it looks good and its nice to have the fleet all match, plus it's a home run for the mechanical division I am sure.

Stay safe!

Looks awesome and very well spec'd! I'm sure a lot of guys will be happy to get out of the Hackney. I'm just suprised as well it's not tandem axle.

Thanks for the photos!

Thanks for the input guys!

It would have been nice to have a larger rig but we must work within the fiscal guidelines provided by the city. We were thinking more of a 22' body (tandem or not) but we had to stay within budget. This rig is a big improvement over the medium duty rescue we've been running since 2000. We will be able to carry much more of our equipment so our deployment time for special operations will improve greatly.

As I stated earlier the 1999 Hackney is going to be designated Rescue #2 and will be the reserve rescue for changeovers and call backs. The 1990 Mack is going to another city agency. As of now we will still run the technical rescue trailer with much of the collapse gear. The tactical support unit may be reassigned after the new rig goes into service as much, if not all, of it's equipment will go on the new rig.

As for the anchor points we took a look at the fact that there were no high anchor points on the rig. Since we have receivers on all 4 sides those are our low anchor points. The best is that we can add more stainless steel rings if we find they are needed. There is a lot of flexibility with this rig and that's what we need.

Stay safe!!!

13 days to go!!!!

Pat

SFRD49

Very nice looking rig. Can't wait to see the finish product

The HME fleet is doing well. There have been issues with them from time to time but no different from any other manufacturer. When R-1 goes online all first line companies will have HME apparatus except Truck #3 (2000 Sutphen midship 104' aerial) and Truck #1 (2009 Sutphen SPH 100 tower ladder.

Thank you for the info Captain. Id imagine having a stream-lined fleet is much more manageable for the mechanics.

Again, nice lookking rig and best of luck to SFRD.

New R-1 progressing nicely. Great job by Twin Lights making our ideas a reality.

post-2904-127361410277.jpg

post-2904-127361411957.jpg

post-2904-127361415434.jpg

post-2904-127361418111.jpg

Gorgeous rig, best of luck and safe use with it brothers.

Barry.........you got some serious comp here bro....

Awesome rig! The SFRD can really use it!

By the way, does anyone know if the old Rescue 1 will become the new spare Rescue 2, and if the Special Ops. Bus and Trailer will be taken out of service or used somewhere else, since the new rig will carry all the additional special operations equipment on it, instead of it being broken up like it is now? I'm pretty sure the old Rescue 2's Mack will go to either Stamford PD or another city agency.

It's amazing Twin Lights can do all that work in house. Who provides the warranty though?

Barry.........you got some serious comp here bro....

Nah, Rescue 4's got this one topped big time. Just the fact they have a boat and a crane on it, lol.

Any in-service photos yet?