Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM36

Rescue Truck

21 posts in this topic

What makes a good rescue and what do you think needs to be on the truck to make it a versatile truck ? Also, who makes the best rescue truck ? Who in Westchester has the nicest?

Light Resuce-

Heavy Rescue-

Walk-round-

Walk-in-

Comb walk-in/walk-around-

i think a rescue needs to have extrication equipment, lots of tools, Forcible entry equipment, saws, technical rescue equipment ranging from high angle to confined space equipment. Basicly a full complement of truck company equipment along with specialized rescue equipment. Also a cascade system, numerious air packs cribing, rescue rope, dive equipment, a light tower, a electric winch,.. i personally favor the walk in heave rescues similar to the FDNY rigs.

i Happen to like Katonah's heave rescue (rescue 17)

scarsdale and greenville have very similar light rescues... but i feel they serve little purpose if ur gettin a rescue go atleast medium, greenville could put the little equipment on rescue 29 in a chiefs car..

a walk around rescue i think would have to go to Fairview rescue 3

CM36, they're called Special Hazard Units to you, LOL!! :wink:

BH's Rescue 10 has all the tools a Heavy Rescue Needs. From its LUKAS tool set up to the 9,000 watt wilburt light tower on the roof. Rescue 10 has all the goodies that a heavy rescue in Westchester needs

Somers is in the prcocess of specing a new Rescue 20. It will be an 18' walk around box with extra storage on top. A built in stairway in the rear, leading to the top compartments. It will be built on a 6-man enclosed cab chasis. Plans are to have a Wil-Burt light tower, Quartz lights on all 4 sides (2 each side, 2 in rear, 1 in front and 2 removable tripod lights), removable winch with receivers on all 4 sides, and a 35kw PTO generator. It will be a Heavy Rescue and carry equipment for: vehicle extrication, confined space rescue, rope rescue, firefighting, EMS, and haz-mat. Should be going out to bid within next 3 months.

is 183 still going to be a rescue-engine and purchase all new equipment for your new rescue truck. Or is 183 going to become a regular engine and all the hurst tools and other rescue equipment going to go on the new rescue??

Of course, I am partial, but I believe that the American LaFrance Heavy Duty Rescue Unit for the Yonkers Fire Department (Recsue Company # 1) is probably the best equiped Rescue Unit in the County. It it HAZMAT equiped and also is SCUBA equiped as well. Boy, you look at this nice unit and compare it with it's older brother (the OLD 1958 Mack Boxed Rescue Unit that was in service from 1958 until 1976 [state of the Art when it was first manufactured in 1958], when YFD Rescue Company 1 was taken out of service, until 2000, when YFD placed back into service YFD Rescue Company 1, with its current ALF Heavy Duty Unit)

Engine 183 will be going bye-bye!!! It does not meet ISO or NFPA for a Structural Engine, so it does not do us any good. Also, being on a commercial chassis vice a custom chassis, it does not provide riding space, etc. So Rescue 20 will be replacing Engine 183. The existing equipment on E-183 will be distributed between Utility 5 and LADDER (NOT Tower Ladder) 18. As back-up's. The new Rescue will be purchased with all new equipment (hopefully).

I have to agree with YonkersR1...The Yonkers Rescue is a very good truck. I have scene it in action quite a few times. Its also kept nice and clean. Over all I think its the best rescue truck in the county.

As you may have seen here in other threads, Somers is far from happy with Seagrave in recent endeavors. So to answer your question, it will not be a Seagrave.

In Katonah, we have a walk through body..... there are good points and bad points to this design in my mind..... the walk in body is nice because we can move a ton of people.....additionally we can use it for rehab, it is warm in the winter and coool in the summer. We can opperate as a command center for inside the box with a phone, multiple radios and a work area for staging, also we have a telemetry unit for our thermal imagining camera which is mounted in the box as well. I do think however, that you loose a lot of valuable storage space with a walk-in box... but I suppose that a lot of this is personal preference. As far as equiptment, saws and cutting tools, Lukas, Hurst or whatever you use, a complete set. Airbags.... high and low pressure reels, air chissle, high lifr jacks....ample cribbing.....cascade system, light tower, ropes and rigging gear, hazmat response equipment, hand tools of all assortments, gas detector...... the rig should be very well stocked.

I personally like every rescue in the County. I cant decide which one I like best (to clarify- FDBH remount R10 on a Mack MR and I've decided :wink: )

Some of my non-WC favorites are the FDNY Rescues and NYPD ESU's......

Now if somebody in WC would only get a rescue like NYPD ESU's current Mack MR/Saulsbury, or MVPD's new Truck 1, I would be all set. :D

I'd even be happy if YPD or WCPD would go with the Mack/Saulsbury!

For now, I guess I will have to figure out how to kitbash my Code 3 ESU's with YPD or WCPD striping lol

What makes a good rescue isn't the "toys" or "goodies." Its the men and women who take on the varying tasks incorporated with a Rescue Company. Personally, I feel that a good rescue should be equipped with sufficient hydraulic and pneumatic rescue tools, hi-pressure and low-pressure airbags of different sizes, hazmat containment gear, water and ice rescue equip., rope rescue gear, rehab and ems equip., and enough lighting to make any scene look like daylight. The thing that aggrivates me the most is when a Heavy Rescue, which including its equipment can be worth over $800G, is assigned to traffic duty. What a disgrace. For one tenth the price, a van or lightweight rescue vehicle could do the job. Of course, Village Boards and Fire Commisioners don't always see it that way.

And, Seth, no rescue is better then a rescue that rescues..... :D

wow that is totally true Remember585 i have to agree with what you said about it all depends about the people that are in the rescue company, and i think that is a good point but to be good rescue company you have to have good equipment in order to do the job

My company just ordered a new rescue - 6 man Seagrave Chassis with a 20-foot RescueOne Body. Some of the features of the new truck (some carried over from the old) are a 20,000 watt generator, 6000 watt light tower, quartz scene lights on all sides, extended front bumper with hurst combo rescue tool troth, full assortment of hydraulic and air rescue tools, tech rescue ropes/riggings, hazmat containment equipment, gas, radiation, etc. monitors, full assortment of hand tools and more, and a fully stocked state certified EMS first repsonder vehicle for use when our 2 ambulances are out or for MCIs. I think this truck is well equipped to stabilize almost any situation.

what rescue companies in the county currently have "Techincial rescue capabilites" also besides hazmat 1, who else in the county carries hazmat suits and additional hazmat gear on their rigs???

hey RadnorCo15 is going to be a walk-around or a walk thru

Yorktown has several level B suits, but they arent assigned to an apparatus, rather they will be placed on rescue 16 in the event of a HAZMAT situation. We do not intend to mitigate HAZMAT incidents, only contain and await county hazmat 1. We also have 3 HAZMAT Dry-suits assigned to the dive team, for rescue diving in contaminated water.

Technical Rescue gear is on ladder 51, this includes a pre-packed 4 to 1 system, a multitude of additional ropes and hardware, a tripod, etc.

Several years ago I had heard that the Mount Pleasant fire companies, P'ville, H'thone, Thorn, and Valhalla, were considering the establishment of a mid county tech-rescue team..... does anyone know if this has happened. I think that a regional tech-rescue team would be a tremendous asset to the county..... each department could bring a special expertice to the team.... high angle, confined space, etc. I'd love to see some No. West. county departments consider the idea as well. As for Haz-mat, in K-town we have the basics, anything larger, we need to call Haz-Mat 1.