Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OnTheWheel

Numbering of houses/business

22 posts in this topic

Emergency services are always preaching fire prevention, change batteries etc. But how about we make a big push for people to number their houses or business. How many times have you driven by a place, numerous times, and couldn't find it because its not clearly numbered? How's your own house, checked lately? Clearly numbering should be a campaign as well.

JetPhoto and x635 like this

So true. It should not only be a campaign, it should be a law. Their quick to criticize “what took you so long” but don’t give a hoot about having their house clearly numbered.

x635 likes this

This is such a big pet peeve of mine especially since I work lots and lots of midnights. I almost starting writing tickets to homeowners but haven't yet. Our fines aren't that big that people prob wouldn't care.

x635 likes this

TRY THIS AT HOME. It's from Town Code, Greenburgh,NY

It shall be the duty of every building owner in the Town to display and maintain the assigned street number of his/her building or buildings in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

A. The numeral or numerals comprising the number displayed pursuant to this chapter shall be not less than five inches in height. All numbers shall be placed on the front of every building in a prominent and conspicuous place and in such a manner as to be plainly visible at all times between sunrise and sunset from the street, roadway or primary route of access to the premises. All numbers displayed pursuant to this chapter shall be in marked contrast to the color of their background and shall be readily distinctive and legible.

B. Additional requirements for obscured premises.

(1) Owners of building(s) more than 50 feet from the edge of the road, street or right-of-way providing primary access to the lot shall, in addition to posting and displaying the assigned numbers on the building, post and display the assigned number on a post, pole, mailbox, lamppost, sign or other similar structure readily visible from the road or street not less than 15 feet from the curbline or access boundary.

(2) Owners of building(s) obscured by trees, shrubbery or any other impediment to the clear and unobstructed view from the road, street or right-of-way providing primary access to the lot shall, in addition to posting and displaying the assigned numbers on the building, post and display the assigned number on a post, pole, mailbox, lamppost, sign or other similar structure readily visible from the road or street not less than 15 feet from the curbline or access boundary.

C. Numbers displayed pursuant to this chapter shall be placed so that they will not be obscured by trees, shrubbery or any other obstructions.

D. Where practicable, numbers displayed shall be placed near a light source so that the designated number may be readily seen at night.

x635 likes this

New York State Fire Code:

Q. Is premises identification required for all buildings?

A. Yes. FC section 505 requires address numbers on all new and existing buildings and that streets and roads shall be identified with appropriate signs.

Section 505, also states the letters must be a minimum of 4" in height

x635 likes this

Absolutely Onthewheel.

Yonkers FD had a campaign in the late 90's to correct the block segments in our CAD Geofile and had violation sheets which we would give to homeowners when they didn't have visible or adequate address numbers. The sheets explained the reason PD/FD/EMS needed to see these numbers day and night and gave the code requirements.

It's definately a problem all over...

Edited by batt2
x635 likes this

While I lived in Vermont for 4 years, I was a member of the Shelburne Fire Department. As most other departments, we ran into the same issue with finding house numbers. The department decided to start a fundraiser which helped not only the fire department, but the members of the community as well. The department started a program called the Shelburne Fire Department Reflective Address Sign Program. We sent fliers to every resident of the town informing them of the importance of being able to identify home addresses. Please see the SVFD website for more details on this program.

http://shelburnefire.org/merchandise.htm

x635 likes this

Absolutely Onthewheel.

Yonkers FD had a campaign in the late 90's to correct the block segments in our CAD Geofile and had violation sheets which we would give to homeowners when they didn't have visible or adequate address numbers. The sheets explained the reason PD/FD/EMS needed to see these numbers day and night and gave the code requirements.

All kidding aside, coundn't Westchester County, or for that matter New York State pass simple legislation (is there such a thing) making numbering of addresses a standard throughout the county or state? I mean this shouldn't have to be a piece-meal solution on a city, town, district, level, it's actually.....ridiculous.

x635 likes this

All kidding aside, coundn't Westchester County, or for that matter New York State pass simple legislation (is there such a thing) making numbering of addresses a standard throughout the county or state? I mean this shouldn't have to be a piece-meal solution on a city, town, district, level, it's actually.....ridiculous.

You make a great point. But do we really need a law telling us to enforce a law? We already have a law on the books its just a shame that when we find out that someone is not obeying it is when there life is on the line. Just a question whose job is it to issue summonses, the police, the fire department building inspector?

x635 likes this

You make a great point. But do we really need a law telling us to enforce a law? We already have a law on the books its just a shame that when we find out that someone is not obeying it is when there life is on the line. Just a question whose job is it to issue summonses, the police, the fire department building inspector?

Enforcement is determined by the municipality and who they gave the authority to in enforcing the NYS UF&BC. In most cases it is the building dept. So the FD (particularly on the career side) others the Fire Marshal.

If its a municipal law (like in NR) PD FD & BD all can do it.

As GIS on the rigs has improved, it has actually become less of an issue, since we can "see" the house number on the rig, telling us which home is which. It is still very important, but a little less so.

Edited by Bnechis
x635 likes this

You're right, and it's simplistic on my part to think that another piece of legislation would really "adress" the issue; especially when there is already a guideline in the OFPC code.

What about geting the DPWs involved? They do the job at standardization of disposals and have enacted the recycling programs. They really do reach every household. People seem to be aware of what they have to do regarding DPW guidelines. They send out pick-up schedules, and notices. Attachment notices easy enough.

Mike, wanna help me out here?

Wondering if there is a way to incentivize the property owners to comply with a Standard...aside from banging a fine, which would run contra to the goal where safety is concerned.

My job runs (for many years) "Operation Lightbulb" which came out of "Operation Desert Storm" started by retired member P.Allison, and carried on many years now by the members. They get faxes from the Office of the Aging and go to senior citizen's homes and perform simple repairs, and what not, as a free public service.

In that spirit, FDs/PDs/DPWs could offer an assistance program to help residents comply. But it takes a leader, to grab the proverbial bull and run with it; you'd need this, somebody who dogs on the issue, with the bite to get something done, until it is.

x635 likes this

Also I have seen where room or apt #'s are on the bottom of a door in an apt building or health care building etc. this should be an enforced code also.

Also I have seen where room or apt #'s are on the bottom of a door in an apt building or health care building etc. this should be an enforced code also.

It was in the code, but a previous gov. took it out.

It was in the code, but a previous gov. took it out.

It was taken out of the old NY Code because the legislators "didn't see a need for it." And you'll probably never see it in the Int'l Code either. I thought it was a great law but those that make the laws don't see things the same as us FF's.

You only see those signs if you CRAWL!

Absolutely Onthewheel.

I agree, this is a problem now again. At my own home, I have two placards with 4 1/2" numbers, they are placed at both of the front entry doors (bsmt/1st floor), and are under a light, one of which is on sensor so when you enter the drive you can see your way to the door safely.

I deal with this regularly because we send people all over the place. I have to call people back at least once per shift to get further info about the style/color of home or have them come out to meet the emergency services that responded. As well, in Yonkers there are problems with split streets, and also with streets where the houses are "out of sequence". I am not sure how this is permitted, however maybe it is time to correct it for the sake of all involved. 1 street in particular was just worked on, Grassy Sprain Rd, not to be confused with East Grassy Sprain Rd nor Sprain Rd, which all run north and south off of Tuckahoe Rd within about a 1/4 mile of each other...Some houses on Grassy Sprain Rd go by an older numerical system and some identify themselves by a newer numerical system. In other words, we have BOLO info such as "XX is located on the east side of the street and out of order, this can be found between XX and opposite XY. Is beige with green shutters".

It can be fun, kind of like a scavenger hunt.

It was taken out of the old NY Code because the legislators "didn't see a need for it." And you'll probably never see it in the Int'l Code either. I thought it was a great law but those that make the laws don't see things the same as us FF's.

You only see those signs if you CRAWL!

Being a FF, and seeing them add exit door signs at crawl height and chevron reflective taped on all stairs in the State office building in Harlem was very cool a few years back.

We occupied 2 floors of that building and none of the many, "normal people" I worked with seemed notice or appreciate these things at all.

I agree; we do see the world from a unique perspective and I'm proud of that.

If nothing else, I'm glad that I'm not the only one this drives NUTS!blink.gif

Edited by Mark Z

Yeah, yeah... I want numbers prominently displayed on ROOFTOPS. And while we're at it, we need to standardize roof numbers on police cars. Some are too small to see on the ground let alone

from 1000 feet.

efdcapt115 likes this

Yeah, yeah... I want numbers prominently displayed on ROOFTOPS. And while we're at it, we need to standardize roof numbers on police cars. Some are too small to see on the ground let alone

from 1000 feet.

And stanedardize fonts dependant on the vehicle or structure type

tongue.gif

Enforcement is determined by the municipality and who they gave the authority to in enforcing the NYS UF&BC. In most cases it is the building dept. So the FD (particularly on the career side) others the Fire Marshal.

If its a municipal law (like in NR) PD FD & BD all can do it.

As GIS on the rigs has improved, it has actually become less of an issue, since we can "see" the house number on the rig, telling us which home is which. It is still very important, but a little less so.

That works for areas where the homes are spread out but in congested areas where they are attached structures having GPS accurate to only 100-500 feet can put you 2 to 5 houses away from your destination. You may be in the ballpark but at the wrong base.